helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
matt40413

Rest twitch on occasion?

Hi,

I was diagnosed with ET about 7 years ago (actually more like 8-9 years now since i've had symptoms). My typical symptom is a tremor in my fingers when bending them in a certain position (it will start to tremor if I try to bend my thumb inward for instance). It's on both hands (always has been) but my left is worse than my right. I was diagnosed with a general tremor 8 years ago (with not much info) but saw another neuro a year and a half ago (and most recently a month ago) she concluded it looks like ET and again said I "move too quickly and normally for it to be parkinsons". Im 32 years old so PD would obviously be rare.

I have no slowness of movement or any other PD symptoms to note (or family history) however one symptom bother me sometimes.

Occasionally my thumb will feel "tight" like it's a tight rubberband internally, and occasionally it'll do a single twitch (or two) when at rest. This doesn't happen all the time, and 99.9% of the time when my hands are at rest they don't move at all (although my hand can be at rest but holding my thumb inward will cause a tremor.....but since im putting tension on it I wouldn't think that's a rest tremor). It's been this way for 8 years and hasn't really progressed if at all (although flexing a muscle or holding something heavy will make my hands shake slightly).

Is the "sudden twitch" i get (1 or 2 twitches) on my thumb any concern for PD? I remember occasionally getting them even 7-8 years ago. It just feels like that muscle is "tight". Considering I haven't had any progression as far as Bradykineisa/Rigidity (Neuro said I was very flexible and all other tests were fine). Arm swing is fine,etc... im guessing that would go against PD? Surely over 8-9 years something would've progressed by now to........Something/anything else? I know PD progresses slower in YOPD....but that slow? I've also heard of PD patients progressing from a Rest to also developing an Action/Postural tremor but never from Action/Postural to developing a Rest Tremor afterwards (Unless im mistaken although im sure it happens).

Here is a video btw of my tremor (it's slightly worse since i've been anxious here lately anyways, it doesn't show the rest twitch but imagine a single twitch of my thumb with a really low amplitude, it's very very slight when it happens....and very rare). Other fingers do it to, but since they can't move as far as the thumb it's less noticeable (also not as bad on my right hand either, but it's always been on my right hand). It def. gets worse with anxiety or if im tired/etc.. Im not sure if the "speed" of the tremor is any indication of PD vs ET.

Im assuming since this requires "tension" to make it happen it's not a resting tremor right? I almost wonder if this is some spasm problem, because sometimes I can feel muscles up in my arm almost spasm at rest too (I've always had muscle spasms since I was a teen anyways all over my body) and since I do computer work for my job this maybe causes this rest twitch. Might explain the "tight" feeling in my thumb.

Thanks! (Also I understand a DAT scan will rule this out but right now do not have the funds for it, just curious on your opinion :) ) 

Edited by matt40413

This is not classical for Parkinson's disease and I would recommend that you see your doctor for a full examination and medication recommendations (if it is affecting quality of life). 

Is this considered a resting tremor? or no since it requires flexing a finger? (So a postural in that case, despite my "hand" being at rest)

Edited by matt40413

Hard to know but occasional twitch can be seen in people without Parkinson.  Sometimes in Parkinson a twitch is myoclonus and is not worrisome (in most cases).