helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
matt40413

Does this look like a PD Tremor?

Sample of the tremor I feel. I was diagnosed with ET...but occasionally i'll get a single "twitch" at rest (like the video but much more minor). Otherwise it's been this way for 8 years or so now. Would this be considered a postural tremor or? it's obviously pretty quick and not super rhythmic, then again I don't know if PD tremors or slower or what...

Thanks!

it's been this way for 7-8 years. Hasn't changed a whole lot. I have the "slightly" shaky hands when holding something (like a coffee cup) but no other symptoms really (at least PD wise). Is this considered a rest tremor since my hand is at "rest" but it requires bending a finger/thumb to cause it? I guess that would make it postural right?

Stop thinking about if it’s not causing you any problems. It will probably go away. If you go shopping for a diagnosis, your doctor will be happy to give you one. 

Matt,

It doesn’t look like a Parkinson’s tremor to me. Not to make light of your problem but have you ever heard this old joke:

Patient: Doc, my arm hurts when I bend it this way.

Doc: Don’t bend your arm that way.

Have a nice day and Happy Easter to you.

Dave

11 hours ago, DaveN said:

Matt,

It doesn’t look like a Parkinson’s tremor to me. Not to make light of your problem but have you ever heard this old joke:

Patient: Doc, my arm hurts when I bend it this way.

Doc: Don’t bend your arm that way.

Have a nice day and Happy Easter to you.

Dave

Just out of curiosity what makes it NOT look like a PD tremor (not arguing just curious) :)

Matt,

Several things.

• First, your tremor seems a little fast.  I'm not a doctor and I can only compare to what I have and what I've seen in my doctor's office.
  • Second, when my tremor occurs, I don't have to move my thumb to set it off.  My tremor will occur when I'm resting.  Movement can suspend the tremor for a few seconds dependent upon the intensity. Moving my thumb like in your video might be enough to stop my minor tremors.

I don't see your curiosity as arguing, I understand. I am not tremor dominant. My tremor is more of a nuisance than anything.  I will say it is more prevalent now than when I was diagnosed four years ago.  My meds do a very nice job of masking my symptoms.  Hope this helps some.

Dave

Thanks, yeah it's basically been this way for 8+ years. Both hands have it, left worse than right (Which is weird cause my right hand is dominant). I've heard ET was "bilateral" but I dunno if that means both sides have to be exactly the same.

I have no other symptoms (Smell is good, arm swing fine, no slowness of movement (my neuro in fact said "I move too well for a PD patient"). I just get concerned because at rest occasionally my thumb/finger will feel tense and it'll do a single twitch (Which it's done that off and on for a while). It still never get full on tremors though. I guess a PD patient would typically start with a rest tremor developing into an action/postural tremor as opposed to the opposite I suppose?

I'd also assume i'd get other symptoms if it's been 8+ years. I know YOPD is slower progressing.....but 8-10 years and nothing really new? (outside a little bit of a slight shake when holding heavy things but even thats been for a good while and not very severe).

Edited by matt40413

I have a similar tremor.  My doctor calls it a resting tremor because when I'm using my hands the tremor doesn't interfere.  

4 hours ago, kaypeeoh said:

I have a similar tremor.  My doctor calls it a resting tremor because when I'm using my hands the tremor doesn't interfere.  

Do you have PD diagnosis out of curiosity?

For me it doesn't make any sense for this to be considered a rest tremor because when my hand is completely at rest the tremor won't happen. It only happens when bending a finger/thumb. 

I posted in ask the doctor and Dr. Okun says it's not classical for PD but didn't go In to detail.

The neurologist calls it parkinsonianism.   I've been on a high dose of sinemat for 3 months with no change.   I don't see the neuros again til end of August.   I was first diagnosed with MS.  Then APS,  an autoimmune clotting disorder.  Then lastly the PD diagnosis.   I'm a veterinarian.  The tremor is noticeable by clients when I'm at work.  But doesn't interfere with surgery or drawing blood from kittens or threading catgut suture onto surgical needles.   But my handwriting is terrible. 

My handwriting has always been super bad (since like.......forever). Everything i've seen recommends that mine is actually a postural tremor since when my hands are completely at rest i'll only get a twitch or two on occasion. it requires me bending my fingers to incite the tremor.

Also were you diagnosed with actual PD or just parkinsonianism? (there is a difference apparently im told?)

Edited by matt40413

The neuro says it's Parkinson's Disease with a parkingsonian tremor.   He thinks the way I walk is a sign of PD.  I'm up to 1.5 sinemet three times a day.  

Ah, see besides this "tremor/twitch" I have no other symptoms at least that the Neuro could tell (I don't feel anything else either). I do have muscle spasms on and off all over my body but i've had that since I was a teenager (I have a feeling maybe BFS)

What exactly is it about the way you walk that makes them think it's PD?

Edited by matt40413