helplinedonate
MComes RPH

I'm back after surgery

Hello everyone,

My surgery went well and I am now on the road to recovery.

I appreciate your patience and your well wishes.

I'll be back on the board answering any and all questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Happy to hear you are back and on the road to recovery!

We are considering starting my Mom on Xadago as she has terrible 'off' spells. Her doctor said she has no patients on this new medication yet so we are wondering if anyone has any comments on it's effectiveness and side effects? She has had PD for nearly 17 years (and has been on Sinemet and Ativan the whole time) and we have tried everything (it seems) including medical marijuana, which gave her no relief. Her 'off' spells consist of fast breathing, stiffness in her hands, and symptoms like a panic attack, sweating and crying and she is forced to lie down. This happens about 2-3 times a day (generally 10, 2 and 7 pm) for the past three years and we can't find any answers except that it appears to occur due to the low point of her Sinemet at those times of the day. We thought maybe Xadago may be worth a trial run. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. She had to give up independent living to move to assisted living ever since these 'off' spells took over her daily life. Thank you!!  Kristine

Kristine,

Xadago is in the same class of medications as Azilect (MAO-B Inhibitors),  but the main difference is the half-life. Half-life is a medication is the time it takes for half (50%) of the medication to be out of your system. The half-life of Azilect is 3 hours compared to the half-life of Xadago which is 30 hours. Basically 10 Times longer.

That is why when it is taken with Carbidopa/Levodopa The effectiveness lasts longer to help shorten or even eliminate off periods.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted 

Mark,

Ummm, half life? I'm sure I don't know anything about this concept. 

As it relates to Azilect, does that mean in 6 hours the medicine and benefits from taking it have worn off?

-S

Do you know what the status of the neuro derm pump? It goes sq instead of in your body

Noah,

It is still in clinical study, Phase 2 I believe.

On their website it appears that you are still able to join the study. Just follow this link for more information:

http://neuroderm.com/

I hope this helps and keep me posted.

S,

I'm sorry if my answer was not very specific, so I will add more detail on this post.

The half-life is basically how long a medication lasts in the body before it is half gone. Half-life and how long a medication can work do not always equal the same thing. Usually the longer half life of a medication, the longer it works. It can be different types of medication. 

With medications like Azilect and Xadago,  which are both in the class of MAO-B Inhibitors. How it is metabolized  (broken down) can also effect how long the effects of the medication last.

Azilect is an irreversible MAO-B Inhibitor. This means that it has effects all day due to this.

Xadago is a reversible MAO-B Inhibitor,  which means it undergoes a different metabolism. This allows it to last much longer.

With Azilect,  it may have a half-life of 3 hours, but after it is metabolized those metabolites allow it to work longer.

It is somewhat difficult to describe. I hope this helped and, if you still have questions please feel free to ask me.

I am glad that everything went well with your surgery!

I had already checked into it and because I had DBS I was disqualified.

That would be so great if it turns out to work. I am praying it will

I would much rather have a sq pump than one that is more invasive 

Noah,

It would truly be a game changer. I guess why I am so happy about this is because it is a new-ish medication and can take up to 4-6 weeks to see improvement. 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.