helplinedonate
LouH

Requip reduction

My husband has experienced severe paranoia and hallucinations and has over the last month had his ropinirole reduced from 12 mg to 3 mg under the supervision in a clinic and will eventually eliminate it all from his medication routine. He was taking this medication for about 18 years.  When he is no longer taking this, how long does it remain in his system?

Lou,

The half life of Ropinirole is about 6 hours, which means the medication should be out of the system around 12 hours after the last tablet is taken. With him being on it for such a long period of time it may take a little longer. To be on the safe side with his duration of use, we can say for certain it will be completely gone from his system within 24 hours of taking his last dose.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

What about the behaviors listed as adverse effects of this drug -- psychotic behaviors, paranoia, hypersexuality, punding, impulse control disorders, aggression?  Will these be gone too?   If not, how long typically does it take to see a lessening or ending  of these anti-social behaviors?

Lou,

If they got worse as the dose was increased, then they should lessen as the dose is decreased.

The adverse effects are dose related, so they should decrease, and then subside as the dose is stoped (within 24 to 48 hours because of the length of time he was on it).

I hope this helps and please keep me posted