helplinedonate
genden69

The period at the end of the sentence.

DH passed away Sunday April 8 at home after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s for twenty-one years.  He had been on hospice for fifteen months totally bedridden for the entire time.  He had suffered orthostatic hypotension, hallucinations, psychosis, Parkinson’s dementia, and Cachexia and other ravages of a terrible disease that robbed him of his mental and physical abilities.  Though it is too late for DH, I hope for a cure and prevention soon to spare others.  Thanks to those of you on this forum who have been supportive.  It has been helpful.  My heart goes out to caregivers who are on the same journey I have been on. Parkinson’s is a cruel thief that robs us of all that is precious. May it soon be conquered.

Edited by genden69
Date error

Genden,  I am so very sorry for your loss.  You have been a great contributor to this forum, and I am grateful for your insights.  May you find consolation in knowing that you did your very best for your dh,  and that he is finally at peace.  Adrienne

Deepest condolences to you, genden69. May your grief be eased by knowing how much you are supported by your friends here on the Forum.

Dianne   

3 hours ago, genden69 said:

DH passed away Sunday April 14 at home after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s for twenty-one years.  He had been on hospice for fifteen months totally bedridden for the entire time.  He had suffered orthostatic hypotension, hallucinations, psychosis, Parkinson’s dementia, and Cachexia and other ravages of a terrible disease that robbed him of his mental and physical abilities.  Though it is too late for DH, I hope for a cure and prevention soon to spare others.  Thanks to those of you on this forum who have been supportive.  It has been helpful.  My heart goes out to caregivers who are on the same journey I have been on. Parkinson’s is a cruel thief that robs us of all that is precious. May it soon be conquered.

Genden..I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you

Em

I am so sorry to hear of your husband’s passing. My thoughts are with you, may you be comforted knowing that you gave him your devotion and care to the best of your abilities. Hugs.

Genden,

Please accept my condolences.  You have been a great help in sharing your experiences.  I am one of the many on the same journey.  May you find rest and peace knowing that you did a great service to your husband.

May the God or Gods that you celebrate carry your husband to the heavens, He  is free now of the chains of Parkinson, Free to dance with those who await his arrival. He is also free now to watch over you till he meets you again. Amen

My deepest condolences and love to you and your family. You are a hero in my book. Only those with the toughest of character can stand the test of time and this disease to watch someone slip away and love them till the bittersweet end.

Care Giver is not a just a label, It is the name of angles and super humans who walk this earth to help those with love, kindness and grace when those cannot help them selves.

Blessings

Adam

• Like 1

Genden,

Please accept my condolences. Out of curiosity, how old was your husband?

Dave

Surrounding you with thoughts of comfort. Your journey with Parkinson's has been long, and you serve as an inspiration to those of us on the path together.

Genden- Please accept my condolences. You are in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

Thank you again for the beautiful thoughts and prayers.  It lifts me up.  Adams234, what a beautiful prayer and sentiment.  I appreciate all of the kind thoughts that have been posted. To the question of how old DH was, he was 81 years old.  He was diagnosed at age 60. With medication, he did very well for five years, reasonably well for four more years, then disabling symptoms, mental and physical began to appear and continued to escalate in intensity until the end.

• Like 3

Genden, you are such a strong role model for us all.  You've beautifully handled an extraordinarily long and painful situation and have been such an inspiration to us.  It has been very apparent the depth of your love for your husband and the mourning and pain you have endured.  I ache for you and am praying for comfort.

Thank you, Linda.  Over the years as I have watched DH lose mental and physical abilities, sometimes the pain and grief has been almost unbearable.  This might sound odd to say, but his death has almost been anticlimactic.  I have had my heart torn out on a daily basis and cried myself dry for many years.  His death was a sweet release for him from the prison of the hospital bed, a body and mind that weren't functioning for him, and the indignities of not being able to care for himself.  My heart aches.  There is a lonely emptiness, but not for what he was at death, but for what he was when he was whole.  I believe he is whole now, with his abilities restored and waiting for me,  I am compelled half a dozen times a day to go to the door of his room and check to make sure he isn’t still there waiting for me to take care of him.  I have been vigilant and on call for so long, it will take some time for that feeling of responsibility for his care to leave me. Though it was very hard, it was my pleasure to be the one to care for him through all the difficult times.

• Like 4

Wow -- you have somehow put into words what many of us feel.  I really hope you can somehow find joy in your life, because you have been a really exceptional spouse.