helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
tweets32

Anxiety causing tremors and off time

I’ve been having a big problem with anxiety causing tremors in my body. I was diagnosed 3 years ago but this has been mostly happening in the past 6 months. I usually try to take deep breaths and divert my thinking so that I can calm down. I’m not always successful at calming myself down especially if I’m in a public place. As I get more anxious my whole body begins to feel weak and shaky and my toes curl up. Then my muscles start to tighten up and I feel like I don’t have the strength to walk upright so I walk hunched over. By this time I am having a full fledged panic attack. 

I seem to have higher anxiety in the evenings. When I’m at home I don’t know whether it’s better to lay down and try breathing exercises or try to start  walking and moving  Sitting in meetings in the evenings seem to be the worst.  This almost always sets me off.  If I’m doing an activity I seem to be much better. 

Sometimes I seem to be fighting anxiety throughout an entire day. I will have to spend the whole day breathing and practicing positive self talk. On these days I don’t know if it’s better to try to relax or try to do some exercise. One day I went to the gym when it was at tremor level only. I usually love going to the gym and thought the exercise would relax me but it didn’t help me at all. Finally I went in the indoor pool and I felt relaxed for the first time all day. 

I’m starting to feel quite apathetic because I have a very full life. I am only 55, still work and have been very involved in many activities. Now I’m becoming afraid to go places, feel very lonely and am even afraid to sleep because of my battle with insomnia. I do take an antidepressant and have recently had that increased due to my complaints about my anxiety. 

Does anybody else have this problem and if so, how do you deal with it?

Yep.... I tremor when I am upset or cold. Anxiety is an often overlooked symptom of  PD. I do the same with breathing and talking to myself. I also exercise when it happens. 

I do try to do breathing exercises all throughout the day 

LAD

• Like 1

Hi tweets32, apathy and anxiety,I believe are part of the symptoms of PD.I was diagnosed 2yrs ago,but stopped working due to my physically demanding job.I have been having exactly the same symptoms you stated above lately.It makes me lose confidence sometimes in things I easily get done before being diagnosed,like driving long distance.I saw my MDS recently and he suggested adjusting the spacing of medication.He feels the anxiety and tremor may be caused by wearing off of medication,which if it happens frequently could be due to motor fluctuations,as a result of  bad medication timing or disease progression.Exercise helps me reduce the anxiety episodes,because on days that I exercise well,I get less anxious.Also try to get good sleep.I use melatonin 5mg,Valerian roots 100mg,mg oxide and 0.25mg alprazolam to sleep.This gives me mostly 6hrs of sleep.On nights that you sleep good,the following day,you might be less anxious.This is how I feel sometimes.What antidepressant do you take?Does it help with your anxiety?Keep exercising,you are not alone.

Tweets, your post could have been written by me. I have many of the same problems. I am tremor dominant. I am on a low dose of sinemet.  25/100 at 6, 11, and 4. Tremors come after about 2 to 3!1/2 hrs. When the tremor comes I get anxious and so I shake more.  I probably should up my sinemet but don't want to because I don't have too many other symptoms. My mds at ucla says she doesn't want to chase the tremor with more Meds.  Anxiety definitely makes my tremor worse. I try to stay active. Tremors much worse when sitting and not moving.  Had a root canal on Tuesday and was really anxious about it.  Turned out not so bad. Tremor was awful in days right before. Breathing exercises help but not always. Have to try and stay calm!  Good luck.   Lorraine

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input.  It is so good to know that I am not alone.  I was feeling like I was a very weak minded person.  I don't know why but it makes me feel better that other people are struggling with the same thing.  This is a very humbling disease.

I will keep on with the breathing exercises.  I went for a long walk today while I was anxious and that seemed to help.  However, I noticed that if I do intensive exercise it seems to have the opposite effect.  That to me is a loss because I've always loved to exercise, mainly because a good workout produces endorphins and I would leave the gym flying high.  Just one of the things that Parkinson's has stolen from me.  I don't want this disease to stop me from doing everything else in my life because of my fear of tremors.

Otolorin, I am on Cymbalta 90 mg.  Yes it does help with depression and anxiety.  I was on 60 mg for the past year and was doing fine.  It was just recently upped to 90 mg because of my increased anxiety.  I have to take it in the morning because it seemed to cause insomnia when my dose was increased.

Edited by tweets32

Hi tweets32, I am contemplating trying an antidepressant.I hope it helps,because I have read online that sometimes,some help for a short term or do not help at all,then you would have to switch to another one.I will talk to my MD about it.What PD meds are you on?The disease is really humbling like you said.I try to avoid stressful situations as much as possible.Let's keep our hopes high,maybe there will be a breakthrough for cure,one day.

Hi Otolorin,

Antidepressants definitely do help.  I have been on an antidepressant most of my adult life.  Every antidepressant that I have tried has worked for me.  Some work better than others.  I was on Zoloft for several years and then spent 12 years on Lexapro before I felt like it was no longer working.  My father and 2 of my siblings have struggled with the same problem and medication has helped all of us.  In the past, doctors have cautioned that it may take 2 or 3 months to start working. However, some of the newer meds seem to work better.  When I started the Cymbalta it seemed to start working within the first week. Many doctors may prescribe Xanax or Clonopin to help deal with anxiety.  There is all kinds of negative stuff on those meds on the web and even if you talk to others because they are addictive.  However, I have been on both multiple times and have never had a problem getting off them.  Currently I use a low dose of Xanax only when I'm having a severe panic attack when no amount of breathing exercises will help.  I have used Clonopin for the past few years to help sleep.  My psychiatrist subscribed Trazodone 50 mg for sleep about 3 weeks ago.  I quit taking the Clonopin. No withdraw or bad side effects.  By the way, Trazodone is great because it is non-addicting and has very few possible side effects.  I have no guilt for relying on an antidepressant or an antianxiety med.  I have to do whatever it takes to continue participating in life.  

Sorry I didn't mean for this to sound like a rant.  It's just that so many people are quick to judge others for using these meds.  They do not cure you but they certainely calm your mind down enough so that you can actually work on yourself.  I also go to a psychologist, practice calming yoga, breathing exercises and lots and lots of prayer.

Also if you do decide to get on an antidepressant, do NOT research it on the web.  I've learned this the hard way.  The first thing that will come up is all of the negative side effects possible.  If you go to the forums you will read lots of horror stories.  I have never experienced any bad side effects from any antidepressant that I've been on, other than the one that I researched and got myself all fearful about taking even before I took it...lol.  There's been minimum side effects like dry mouth, hunger or tiredness but they all went away when my body got used to the med. Pretty much the same thing when taking Parkinson's meds which I think can have even worse side effects.

Okay, I'm done with my lecture.  Sorry, this is a hot topic with me because I've heard so much judgement from people who don't understand depression or anxiety.

To answer your question about my Parkinson's meds, I am currently on 1 1/2 tablets Carbidopa-Levadopa 25-100 along with 200 mg Comtan every 4 hours or 4 times a day.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions or if you run into any issues if you try to take an antidepressant.

Blessings!

Robin (tweets32)

Tweets32. I do appreciate your explicit and thoughtful insight.You are right,there is a lot of scary articles online about antidepressants,and for someone like me who has no experience with the long acting,SSRI or SSNRs,you tend to want to hear and learn from people who have derived benefits from these drugs.I will definitely discuss this option with my MD,so I can get a referral.Lke you stated,medication and prayer goes together.Lol.

Welcome to the group Brian - sorry you are here though.  I have a breathe app on my phone that I do daily. I think anxiety is a bit natural but I think knowledge helps - The more I know the better I feel.  My diagnosis was a year ago

• Like 1

I read that the best breathing for anxiety is inhale 4 seconds hold 7 seconds and exhale 8 seconds.  That seems kind of hard to me  I basically just practice slow inhale and then slow exhale.  I try to be loosen up and stretch my joints if I’ve been sitting  

Practing some calming yoga moves will help at home also.  I love Yoga with Adrienne which is free on YouTube. She has some short very easy videos for bedtime and stress relief.  I literally felt asleep on the floor at the end of her sleep video,,,lol. They are very easy videos because I knew nothing about yoga and just started them myself. 

• Like 1