helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Doubleup

Parkinson's vs. LBD Diagnosis

I know they are both related diseases and thus it is possible for anyone diagnosed with either to have both.

I am wondering however if you were to have an abnormal DAT Scan however a normal PET FDG Scan would that help rule out LBD and keep a diagnosis closer to Parkinson's? Or would it be very possible that LBD is just not detectable in the early stages? A lot of my symptoms seem more like LBD, thus my question

Edited by Doubleup

I guess this is an “unknown”. Any input appreciated if you have any ideas from your experience, scans or research.

I have Lewy Body Dementia.  I got diagnosed based on cognitive symptoms, hallucinations, and history ,neuro-psych testing, and FDG Pet Scan. I did not have any Parkinson symptoms at the time. About 6 months later, I go hit will all the Parkinson stuff. PT and Sinemet helped me with a lot of my Parkinson troubles, but not all by any means. To your question, Yes, it is possible to have a normal FDG Pet and still have very early LBD. i would say if many of your symptoms are strictly Lewy Body Dementia symptoms, then I would be sure to have a complete work up at a major medical center's memeory assessment clinic to have your best probability of getting an accurate diagnosis. By way, a DAT scan is also used now to help diagnose LBD. I didn't have one  and know very little about the DAT Scan. I do know that a positvie DAT scan in a LBD work-up is considered almost as strong as a positive FDG Pet SAcn. Bottom line, though, you should take your medical advice and opinions from your doctor and not from a message board. If you are seeing a Parkinson only type doctor, you might want to go even more to a memeory assessment clinic. Good luck, because you sure as hell don't want to have LBD. Parkinson's is bad enough to ruin a good day.

26 minutes ago, BillBRNC said:

I have Lewy Body Dementia.  I got diagnosed based on cognitive symptoms, hallucinations, and history ,neuro-psych testing, and FDG Pet Scan. I did not have any Parkinson symptoms at the time. About 6 months later, I go hit will all the Parkinson stuff. PT and Sinemet helped me with a lot of my Parkinson troubles, but not all by any means. To your question, Yes, it is possible to have a normal FDG Pet and still have very early LBD. i would say if many of your symptoms are strictly Lewy Body Dementia symptoms, then I would be sure to have a complete work up at a major medical center's memeory assessment clinic to have your best probability of getting an accurate diagnosis. By way, a DAT scan is also used now to help diagnose LBD. I didn't have one  and know very little about the DAT Scan. I do know that a positvie DAT scan in a LBD work-up is considered almost as strong as a positive FDG Pet SAcn. Bottom line, though, you should take your medical advice and opinions from your doctor and not from a message board. If you are seeing a Parkinson only type doctor, you might want to go even more to a memeory assessment clinic. Good luck, because you sure as hell don't want to have LBD. Parkinson's is bad enough to ruin a good day.

Hi Bill, I am sorry to hear about your condition. Thank you for your opinion, that does help guide me a bit and yes I will be seeking more answers from my doctors.