helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Fred Kunzinger

Startle Reflex

I was diagnosed about a year and one half ago and have noticed a worsening startle reflex. As an example, I’ll be reading and know my wife is making coffee, but I still startle badly when she turns on the coffee grinder, or shuts the cabinet, or whatever. I’ve tried searching to see if this is due to the PD or to the Mirapex I’m taking and have found anecdotal evidence for both. Is an increased startle reflex common in Parkinson’s, or it is yet another unfriendly side effect of the Mirapex? Thank you very much

It is possible but not very common.  You can talk with your doc about a switch to SInemet and see if it makes a difference.

I have this really really big time, but I also have Lewy Body Dementia. I have never viewed this as a result of taking Sinemet, since I had it before taking Sinement, but not as bad as now. I think it comes from the non-Parkinson stuff, or maybe from Exelon or depression med or whatever I can't think right now. If someone touches me when I don't expect it, I can react every agressively. Even when I know the touch is coming like from my wife coming over for to just touch my shoulder or something, I still jump. I have asked her not to touch me unless I say it is ok, but that is hard for anyone to remember. One time while checking into a hotel, I turned around to my wife and almost hit her in the face with a fist. Scared the tar out of me, her, and lady behind the desk and the people behind me in line. Very unpleasant scene all around. Needless to say I had never before hit my wife or even acted agressively towards her no matter what. I don't think I would ever hit her, but I do worry about slugging someone out in public, particularly if in a group of people. So much so that I simply don't get into group setting unless I am well outside the outer edge of the group. People think it is weird, but they just don't know. Good luck.

Thanks for the comment.  Occassonally Keppra is helpful or clonazepam but these can be sedating and sometimes have behavioral side effects.