helplinedonate

7 hours ago, Jdroli091070 said:

Hey Doc

I have done a little research on the subject of weight loss and P.D. It appears to be unclear as to what mechanisms are responsible for lower BMI in Parkinson's disease. I have lost a considerable amount of weightsince diagnosis 29 years ago: down from about 193 to now 154. I understand that the loss of fat and malnutrition are to blame for the loss of weight in most typical patients. I am wondering how much protein synthesis has to do with the nature of this loss of weight. I work out a lot, and try to consume as much protein and fat as I can on a daily basis. However, my body is not, and has not recovered from exercise the way that it should. In fact, I seem to be losing muscle mass. Just curious to get your thoughts on the subject.

• Like 1

Thanks for the question.  There is a progressive weight loss that occurs in Parkinson's disease and other neurodegenerative conditions.  Many studies are looking at the specific causes and reasons but there seems to be many associated factors.

This is a free review on weight loss in PD available on Frontiers:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4040467/

• Like 1

Thank you for the question Jdroli091070 and thank you for the resource Dr. Okun.