helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Ludy

Diagnosed with PD on 46th birthday

I have been having a hand tremor for about 6 months. I put this off to exercise. See in the last year I have lost 70lbs and picked up the hobby of powerlifting. I got pretty decent quickly in my lifts in that short time. The downside is I have felt sore or a bit fatigued for most of that year. I just looked at the hand tremor as another side effect of a life well lived. 

Back on subject, I went to a sports doctor last Monday to see if I had some issue with arm or shoulder that was causing the tremor. It seems to be worse after a really hard session but I also drink a few cups of coffee before I go to the gym. The doc took about 5mins of an exam to refer me to a neurologist. He made no comments on cause just saying that it was not within his scope of expertise. I was a bit worried but not too bad. I wasn't aware at the time of a family history with PD but if I was I might have been more nervous. I found out later that my great aunt had PD and my grandmother may have had it but passed away soon after tremors started. My mother is an only child and is good but I am her oldest child and only one with an issue, thank god.

I was able to get into the neurologist that day. He did what I guess is the normal consultation and them a physical exam. Testing rigidity, observing the tremor, and observing my gate. After the initial exam, he gave a tentative diagnosis of PD but wanted me to get a DaTscan and an MRI before a final assessment. I actually felt relieved by his no BS attitude and being kind but blunt. I was a US Marine earlier and maybe that is just a trait I respect. 

Well, the DaT came back positive while the MRI came back negative for any other issues. After the doc confirmed the results and told me that I have PD. He didn't want to put me on any meds yet as I can still function without them. The tremor is only in my left hand and forearm and I use the right as dominant hand. Not really sure reasoning but think its to prevent a tolerance.

As most that have been diagnosed, I am currently having some depression issues. I am going to continue powerlifting at the docs advice. I was surprised because I squat 435 and deadlift 535 but I am very happy. Powerlifting is my escape and stress relief. I have done one training session since the diagnosis and it made me feel better mentally for most of that day. I went online and researched supplements that I should take and things I should avoid but don't know were to begin. I am and have been taking Creatine Monohydrate for lifting so at least I have 1 thing that might help. My wife has been a rock during this and is a beacon in a sometimes dark world. I have also let my 11year old daughter know but didn't go too deep into it. I don't know the right way to bring it up so I want to let her ask questions and just be as good a dad as I can.

My 46th birthday was Monday. Here's to the next one being far better!

Welcome to the club that no one wants to be in. Feel free to ask any questions about meds, exercise or any of the other fun stuff that we get to deal with. Keep up the lifting and maybe throw in some biking or walking or running if the joints can take it. 

Keep exercising.... look up neuroplasticity.... exercises for your brain with physical exercises...

Exercise is like medicine to me... 

welcome...life's going to be different but it can still be great!!! 

LAD

The initial diagnosis throws a person for a loop. It can be a bit of a roller coaster ride. Exercise is a must! There is a lot of help on this forum.

Ludy,

Let me share some words of wisdom from fellow forum member Hercules957:

At first, it is overwhelming to say the least. You need to go through the grieving process leading to acceptance. Once in the acceptance place, you will encounter new symptoms that will force you to go through the process again. We can only find peace in the acceptance mode. Living in denial, anger, depression or compromise is more difficult. I deal with PD by 1. keeping a positive attitude, 2. looking for the right medication cocktail, 3. exercising, 4. resting, 5. eliminating stress, 6. staying warm.

Having PD is like a new life you have not chosen. Forget the old one, or at least detach from it otherwise nostalgia will lead to frustration.  Try not to look too far in the future as this will lead to anxiety, causing stress which will exacerbate symptoms. Be grateful for the positive aspects present in your new life. It is a marathon, save energy, don't rush. Be systematic and analytical.  You will become the PD expert for yourself.  Don't compare too much to others as we are all affected differently and progression is different for all.  The future has too many unknowns, stay in the present as much as possible.

Thank you for your service, I too served, USAF and two tours in the Gulf in the years just following the 90-91 war, i.e. NO FLY ZONES, it was the Camp Lejeune water supply contaminants that are also known to have been shipped to the Gulf, TCE and PCE solvents, that is cited in my Service Connected Disability award letter as the more than likely cause of PD. However the very long list of other toxins associated with the Gulf War can/could not be ruled out and is listed as the cause of my PD symptoms. Which is rated at 100%, while PD garners only 30% by the VA.

I made it to 40 before diagnosis. But as a member of a Facebook group, veterans with Parkinson's Disease, we have many other extremely young veterans joining all the time. Makes one wonder what they are putting in the water, at least?