helplinedonate
cereus

medication and exercise

My question is about exercise and medication. Today I went to the gym for the first time in a long time. I could not work out before I started taking the medication as I had too much stiffness and fatigue. Even though I have not perfected my medication dosage, I have regained enough flexibility that I decided I would try a very slow, gentle workout with strengthening machines. During the workout, I experienced tremor and now, afterward, I have more pain and stiffness. While I was working out, I sort of felt like my dopamine ran out, if that makes sense. So, I have some questions about meds and exercise. 

1. I have read in these forums that this kind of increase in symptoms during and after exercise is experienced by others. Would you say this is typical and should be expected?

2. Do people typically take more meds before a workout?

Thanks very much.

Diana

Edit: I welcome comments about this by other participants, too! Thank you.

Edited by cereus
added an additional comment

I have noticed that when exercise i am usually off after wards. I used to work in a diabetes center and it reminds me of when a person with diabetes work out they can get a low blood sugar which means that their blood sugar has run out.  i try to take 1/2 sinemet either before i exercise.( If I can remember) or at my next dose

Mark does that make sense?

i

• Like 1

Noah,

It absolutely makes sense. Dopamine is the main chemical which makes muscle move. When we lack Dopamine, we lack the muscle motor skills, and we then have PD. When we work out, exercise, or do anything strenuous our body requires us to use more muscle strength, which requires more Dopamine. That is why if you have PD and do not take  your medication before you do some sort of work out, you will definitely be off afterwards. 

I always recommend that PD patients do any exercise son after they take their PD medication. That way they will not be off ahterwards.

Great topic.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

• Like 1

As I read this I am off because I worked out that day and forgot to take extra sinemet usually 1/2 pill is enough 

but you have to remember to take it !

33 minutes ago, noah said:

As I read this I am off because I worked out that day and forgot to take extra sinemet usually 1/2 pill is enough 

but you have to remember to take it !

I know just what you mean!

Noah,

The best way to remember is to use an old bottle and put some Sinemet in it. Then you place it where you start to work out. I actually put mine by my water bottle. Works every time

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MComes RPH said:

Noah,

The best way to remember is to use an old bottle and put some Sinemet in it. Then you place it where you start to work out. I actually put mine by my water bottle. Works every time

Thanks for the great tip, Mark.

By the way, I am not taking Sinemet; I am taking ropinirole. Would this system work essentially the same way?

good idea so you actually take it right before you exercise?

I know everyone is different but how much extra sinemet do you find you usually need 

Noah,

With Ropinirole, you may have to take it about an hour prior to working out.

You usually don't need extra, because I tell people to work out after they take their routine.

But, if someone is off schedule, they may need up to one tablet of a Regular Release tablet to right the ship.

47 minutes ago, MComes RPH said:

Noah,

With Ropinirole, you may have to take it about an hour prior to working out.

You usually don't need extra, because I tell people to work out after they take their routine.

But, if someone is off schedule, they may need up to one tablet of a Regular Release tablet to right the ship.

Thanks for all your help and advice, Mark.

To clarify, I (Diana, aka Cereus) am the one who is taking ropinirole and who asked the original question. I think Noah was asking about how much extra Sinemet you take before exercise.

Diana,

I know it seemed like I got the two jumbled up, but I have been talking with Noah at least once a week.

So I am sorry for the confusion. The posts literally came in back-to-back.

Thanks again.

Oh, you did not at all. But thank you. It is so awesome that there has been so much activity on this forum, but it has been rapid fire.

Truthfully, anyone who knows me, will tell you that I love and thrive in this atmosphere.

Mostly because I get to help so many people, which in reality, is very therapeutic for me.

I can't thank you enough.

• Like 1

Sharon,

Great question. The main reason is that people with PD usually have issues with walking, balance, leg strength, and then eventually they give up and live a stagnant life. 

We all need to stay active, but mainly people with PD. Even just very low impact like stretching and yoga. You will find a great amount of information on line about why people with PD should exercise, but also specific types of exercise to do. It has also been proven that walking is one of the best "exercises" anyone can do to help to maintain quality of life.

I will tell people that exercise is as small as one more step than you did yesterday. Literally, if you can only took 10 steps yesterday, then 11 steps today is progress. 

Also, like I stated, you should "exercise" AFTER you take your medicine. IF, by chance, you forgot to take your medication, then you should take it ASAP.

I hope I clarified things for everyone and thank you for your input.

• Like 1

I was referring to taking extra immediate release sinemet.

Mark what is the best type of exercise , my husband is telling me that walking is best.  If so what does walking do that other types of exercise  don't

What I was referring to was the fact that many PD patients have a difficult time with balance, gait, and shuffling and that walking is one of the best low impact "exercises" to do.

Here is a snippet from an NBC article I have attached.

From nbcnews.com
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/why-walking-most-underrated-form-exercise-ncna797271

The Physical Benefits of Walking

“There are many reasons to walk for exercise,” says Ann Green, M.S., past heptathlon world athlete, yoga teacher and fitness studio owner. “Walking improves fitness, cardiac health, alleviates depression and fatigue, improves mood, creates less stress on joints and reduces pain, can prevent weight gain, reduce risk for cancer and chronic disease, improve endurance, circulation, and posture, and the list goes on…”

These are just some of the physical attributes of walking. Also mentioned are mental issues it can improve.

"The act of walking is also a proven mood booster. One studyfound that just 12 minutes of walking resulted in an increase in joviality, vigor, attentiveness and self-confidence versus the same time spent sitting. Walking in nature, specifically, was found to reduce ruminating over negative experiences, which increases activity in the brain associated with negative emotions and raises risk of depression."

The damage of related related exercise compared to walking.

Other comparable exercise (running) can damage the cartilage in the joints, can cause osteoarthritis, excessive stress on the heart which can damage the heart, and cause extra stress on the immune system. Which you can see in this article: