helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
pdmanaz

Dyskinesia vs Akinesia

If I am not tremor dominant am I more likely to have Dyskinesia or Akinesia? Can I have Dyskinesia if I am not tremor dominant? Can I have Akinesia if I am tremor dominant?

Thanks

Edited by pdmanaz

Hi PD,

Maybe these are questions for the Doc, but it is my understanding that dyskinesia can be present with both tremor and non tremor PD types as it is a symptom of excess dopamine.  Akinesia is a defining symptom of PD and I believe can be present in both types as well.    I am not tremor dominant and have experienced both symptoms.

Gardener

Hi Gardener,I am just curious,what type of dyskinesia have you experienced and have you been able to treat it successfuly?I am also non tremor dominant.

Hi Otolorin,

A couple of years ago, I was taking 1,000mg of c/l a day and experienced wiggly feet and involuntary movement in my hand.  Over the past two years I've slowly reduced my medication to 650mg and almost never have dyskinesia.  I do have more PD symptoms now but I've adjusted and very happy to be on less medication.  I have a question for you - do you experience any tremor at all? 

Gardener