helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
chuck172

dbs candidate

I'm tremor dominant pd. positive  datscan. Diagnosed for two years. I have not had felt any tremor improvement with any drug. I've tried many. Am I a good dbs candidate?

Yes, if you have tried maximally tolerated doses of agonists and levodopa then we consider DBS for medication resistant tremor.  It is usually a very good option.

I keep reading that to be a good dbs candidate: "   Clear evidence of motor improvement with sinemet, with good motor function in the best on-medication state. A good screening test is the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) part III, performed in 12 hours off of medication and repeated following a supratherapeutic sinemet dose. We require at least a 30% improvement in this score with sinemet. 

I am tremor dominant. The tremors show no improvement from sinemet. My neurologist has basically given up on me saying dbs is my only hope to stop the tremors. Is it?

Could be; if you have tried high doses of Sinemet (300mg per dose) then this is possible (DBS could help and often does for tremor).

I've taken three 25-100 sinemet pills three times a day, with no relief. That would be what you consider a high 300 mg dose, correct?

900 mg a day and 300 per dose is considered a good trial for tremor. 

I always get a gastric emptying study to make sure meds are absorbing.  I also confirm the diagnosis of Parkinson by exam and on/off UPDRS testing.

Hope that helps.  Tremor may be resistant to dopamine.