helplinedonate
Superdecooper

Missing Meals?

Hey gang,

what happens when you miss meals, does it make your Tremor worse, or anxiety, etc.?

and what happens if you eat junk/fast food? 

I know the old saying “garbage in, garbage out” but this seems a little overboard.

I had to take an  emergency overnight road trip to see family and there wasn’t enough rest, or home cooked food and too much stress. 

Life is way less good yesterday and today. My symptoms seem to have gone into overdrive. 

Whats that all about? 

-S

In a word, stress. Whether we're aware of it or not, stress (positive or negative) always increases my PD symptoms. Family and caregiver conflicts are the biggest stressors for me.

Dianne   

H, Dianne.  I couldn't agree with you more.  When even feeling a little stress, I shake and drop things and get so frustrated.  I talk to myself as if I were a friend (or God) talking to me and tell myself that I have Parkinson's and of course you are going to drop things.  I take a deep breath and slow down and learn to accept what is.  It's not easy, but it does work.

And Scoop, I have the exact same reactions to junk food and sugar, stress, and too little sleep and missing meals (and missing a dose of sinemet).  Those are good reminders, though, of how important it is to plan and eat good meals and to get quality food that is not GMO'd and that is pesticide free.  I get as much organic as possible even though it is more expensive.  The difference in cost is worth the benefit (or, the benefit is worth the cost). :-) And the taste can often be incredibly better than conventional foods.  Our gut is extremely important to keep as healthy as possible since it affects our whole body.

Edited by Linda Garren
Had forgotten to mention missing meals and doses of Sinemet.

Linda, I'm happy to report that my rooftop Pea Patch is chock-full of spinach, mustard greens, arugula, scallions, green beans, miners lettuce, Vietnamese coriander, purple bok choy, Foxley and lemon thyme, parsley, tomatoes and two kinds of potatoes. Organic produce is so much more delicious than what one finds in the produce aisle at the supermarket. Fresh from the garden is even better.

Dianne 

Missing a meal or eating junk food doesn't seem to noticeably  effect to much. Unless it's more than a meal or two in a row , besides the feeling like I ate  terrible . Stress and anxiety throw the tremor into overdrive .  Everyone will say avoid stress at all cost , but unless you live in a bubble  stress is a reality of life . How you cope with the stress is the key . And for that the answer is probably as diverse as any question addressed on the forum . Preemptive strikes  on stress only last so long ( exercise and such ) . I haven't found a " in the moment " relief to stress yet that is effective . I know when my family tries to deflect or keep stressful situations away from me , it stresses me even more . I would rather be involved than be treated like I am sick and need to be shielded . I will be following this also ,maybe someone has an effective way to deal with the in the moment stress .

Dan

• Thanks 1

My biggest issue with food is just general grumpiness when I miss a meal.  I am fairly sensitive to protein around medication time.  So if meal time gets delayed I have to choose between food and meds.  If I choose food then of course my symptoms get worse.  So usually, if I think it won't be too high a risk of homicide, I choose meds and then wait the hour until food is an option.

Haven't noticed the quality of what I eat making much of a difference to my PD.  Other aspects of life, yes.

And yes, stress definitely makes a big difference.  But it depends heavily on the type of stress as to how my symptoms react.  Some will provoke an anxiety attack, other stressors will set off my tremors, and still others will get my foot cramping/dystonia or other things.