helplinedonate
cereus

medication goal

Hi Dr. Okun,

I am slowly titrating .25 ropinirole to try to determine the ideal dose. Right now I am taking 6:00 am: 2@.25; noon; 2@.25; and 6:00 pm 1@.25. I intend to add the 2nd .25 tablet to the 6:00 pm dose in a few days. I know this is still a very low dose, but I want to be careful not to exceed what I need. On this regimen I have consistent results of a reduction in pain & stiffness in my right jaw, neck, and shoulder, as well as a great improvement in energy and mood. (I had intractable fatigue for about a year before starting this medication.) I have inconsistent results for hip, hand, and ankle pain and stiffness--mostly I don't get enough relief from these symptoms to pursue my exercise goals. When I do have a window of relief from these symptoms, I feel like a different person. I find that caffeine can sometimes boost the effectiveness of the meds, but again, that does not seem to be consistent enough to rely on. My question is : what should my target for medication effects be? Should I be able to achieve complete symptom relief consistently at this early stage of PD? Or is that an unrealistic goal? If unrealistic, what would be a more achievable goal?

Thanks.

Diana

We usually titrate up as you have done and we keep going until all bothersome symptoms are alleviated or improved, however in many cases you will not reach 100% improvement.  It is important to get the upper limit from your doc (some will go to 4-5mg per dose) but also to monitor and have your spouse or family member monitor for side effects such as impulse control disorders and dizziness/GI symptoms (among others).

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your reply, Dr. Okun. This is useful information.

I live alone, but I have alerted my friends to keep an eye on me(!)