helplinedonate
otolorin

TIREDNESS AFTER TAKEN SINEMET

Dear Doc Okun.

Here I am again seeking your advice.I recently increased my sinemet 25/100mg dose to 1/2 and a 1/4 tab ,four times daily at intervals of 3 1/2 hours.But after every dose I tend to feel tired,to the extent that people ask me on the phone if I feel sleepy from the way I sound.Please doctor what can I do to manage this problem,apart from taking a nap?

Thank you for your time sir.

Some people do get tired from higher doses of dopaminergics.  I have seen people try extended release (CR), Rytary or other strategies.  Sometimes an agonist in low dose can facilitate lowering the Sinemet or Madopar....

Hi Dr Okun, 

i see my mom has a similar problem. What do you feel is a good agonist ? Or would you suggest going to a Siminet CR first ? My mom s neuro does not believe in the CR and I am beginning to wonder about his expertise with P D patients ?

thank you !

It really depends on what your practitioner is comfortable with.....all work and must be titrated and monitored for side effects (ICD's etc.).  CR will sometimes peak less in the bloodstream and lead to less sleepiness.  Sometimes a lower dose of Rytary can be found....it is trial and error.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:43 AM, Dr. Okun said:

Some people do get tired from higher doses of dopaminergics.  I have seen people try extended release (CR), Rytary or other strategies.  Sometimes an agonist in low dose can facilitate lowering the Sinemet or Madopar....

Low dose of agonist?  That is worse than taking C/L for people who are getting drowsy from their PD medication right?

Everyone is different.  If you try lower doses of Sinemet/Madopar and increase agonists you could still have side effects so it would need to be monitored.  Everyone is different so it may work in some cases.

It is variable across patients and different strategies work for different patients.  The key is monitoring.