helplinedonate

Dear Mark,

I have written to you before about Rytary which I have given up on.  I was dxed in 2004, age 52.  I was started on Sinemet I think very soon after.  I checked & as far back as I can find (2009) I have been taking Ropinirole ER 4mg, Amantidine 100 mg, Azilect 1 mg once daily plus 10 mg c/l 6 x daily.  I am having little on times & a lot of freezing & off times.  I asked my neuro about changing meds & he said I'm on the best ones but I was wondering if my body is immune to them & a change might help.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Brenda

Brenda,

Sinemet is the true gold standard for Parkinson care. That does not necessarily mean we stop looking if it starts to fail us.

I don't like to make a lot changes, so I would suggest changing the Ropinirole to Sinemet CR. This way you have consistency with your primary meds. You may have to tapper off Ropinirole and slowly increase Sinemet CR.

Make sure all Sinemet is taken one hour before food or two hours after a meal for best absorption.

Also, an add on of Amantadine to take 1 capsule twice daily would probably help.

Lastly, there is the Apokyne Injection, which works like an epi-pen that you can hardly feel, that brings you out of "off" periods very quickly.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.