helplinedonate
LAD

Trekking pole walking

I have started pole walking. It’s quite challenging. It’s a coordination workout with cardio. It also helps your balance, posture & gait. Try it!!!

LAD

LAD, that is something I'm looking into, too!  I have wondered I could use my ski poles (with a replacement of the bottom that would be for street and dirt terrain). How tall do the trekking poles need to be?

Guessing you could use ski poles but trekking poles are adjustable and have flat feet. Try what you have & see. 

LAD

I'll look forward to talking with you about it a little more when we get together on Monday.  

Linda 

P.S.  Would you be able to bring your poles with you so I can see and understand better how they work?  Thanks!

On 6/7/2018 at 11:27 PM, Linda Garren said:

I'll look forward to talking with you about it a little more when we get together on Monday.  

Linda 

P.S.  Would you be able to bring your poles with you so I can see and understand better how they work?  Thanks!

Sure.... I will bring them...see you Monday 

I just recently took a hiking trip and used trekking poles for the first time. They really helped with arm swing, balance, and gait. They also saved my butt in what could have been a very nasty fall down a mountain side.

I used the Alpine Summit Explorer Edition trekking poles. They come with several accessory tips for walking on different surfaces, have cork handles that absorb sweat, have fliplock adjustments, etc. Excellent customer service, too. You can buy them on Amazon for $39.95 or direct from the company with free shipping. Check them out.

https://www.alpinesummitoutdoors.com/collections/trekking-poles

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Aluminum-Trekking-Anti-Shock-Walking/dp/B073NRYBKN/ref=lp_15756750011_1_1?srs=15756750011&ie=UTF8&qid=1530111066&sr=8-1

Kevin

• Thanks 1

I have used trekking poles on uneven terrain (when we're camping) where they are much better at keeping me stable than my cane.  Discovered rubber tips, which are good on blacktop, are slippery on gravel - the metal spike tips are much better on gravel.  I adjusted mine low because when they were high, my shoulders hurt, but I think this is a personal choice.  Got mine on Amazon for around $30.

i find the trekking poles give me the confidence to set out on a long walk.  so much better than a cane which skews my posture.