helplinedonate
BillBRNC

Dropping Things

I have the pill rolling thing with my hands, and I feel shaky and off balance a lot of the time. My question is whether dropping things I pick up is related to this disease. I assume it is, but it is not like my hands are shaking, because they only seem to have a very minimal shiver near the end of the day.  Thanks.

Hi Bill,

I drop things a lot and in my case I think it has more to do with stiff hands, not shaking hands as I generally don't have tremor. 

Gardener

Gardener, thanks for reply. I don't really know what to call what my hands are doing right before I drop something. They aren't shaking, but my hands and sometimes my whole body seems to be on a hair trigger vibrating from the inside, and then all of a sudden I have what I guess could be called a startle type reaction in my hands, and sometime my whole body. I do not know what this is called or if it is Parkinson, as opposed to autonomic nervous system dysfunction from my Lewy Body Dementia. I have had to reduce Sinemet due to it aggravating my orthostatic hypotension. When I found a dosage that permitted my OH to rarely get worse than 80/60, I found that much of my Parkinson movement issues came back into play. I have appointment with MDS doctor in a month to find out if there are any alternative Parkinson meds that can do what my former dosage of Sinemet did without aggravating my low blood pressure problem. But I just think the dropping things is Parkinson, but I don't know. Thanks.

Until I started on the meds I dropped things quite a bit.  With meds that is significantly reduced, though not eliminated.  I think it is directly related to the bradykinesia.  You feel something starting to slip and the fingers just won't react fast enough to the command to grip tighter so the object just falls from the hand.