helplinedonate
MIMILASTER

RASAGILINE AND COLONIC MOTILITY

According to a recently published study,  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29956417. “Rasagiline, an inhibitor of MAO-B, decreases colonic motility through elevating colonic dopamine content” 

Constipation is mentioned as a possible side-effect of Rasagiline, but according to this study, “long-term administration of rasagiline could increase colonic dopamine, thereby inhibiting colonic motility.”

I understand these are conclusions drawn from one study only but I  would like to have your opinion on this. If we suffer from severe constipation, would it be possible to try and stop Azilect to see if it’s the culprit.  If so, how long would it take to show a difference and would tapering off be necessary.

Thank you for your help.

I did see this article and found it interesting. Whether it is the Rasagiline or the disease itself, it is difficult to determine if the effect of constipation can cause serious damage or if the treatment will be the same.

If one were to go off rasagiline to determine if it culprit, Rasagiline can be decreased over a matter of about 6 days from 1mg, to 0.5mg for 3 days, to 1/2 tablet of 0.5mg (0.25mg) for 3 days, then stop. This should be done under the care of your Doctor because he may want to add a medication, possibily Sinemet if you are not already on it, to handle any PD symptoms.

Being off of Rasagiline for a maximum of 10 days should be enough time for a patient to determine if it is the medication that is the primary cause of the constipation. The reason this can be determined this quickly is because the half-life of Rasagiline is 3 hours. The half-life is the amount of time it takes for one half of the medication to be cleared from the body.

If the cause of the constipation is either Rasagiline or PD, the primary treatment of a laxative or stool softener should be effective.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.