helplinedonate
stump

PD and immune system response

This article states that the man in question had PD, and due to that was at greater risk of that infection.  I'm unaware of anything about PD per se that makes us more vulnerable to infectious disease.  I'm also unaware of any of the more common PD meds compromising the immune system.

Am I missing something, or is that article full of bull with respect to PD?

Of course, I sure hope that man recovers quickly and without permanent damage to his limbs.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/07/10/nj-dad-may-lose-all-4-limbs-after-contracting-bacterial-infection-while-crabbing.amp.html

I have agammaglobulinanemia (extremely low IgC and IgG levels) that was discovered when I first went to a doctor about some of my PD symptoms,  This condition actually clouded my Parkinson’s diagnosis in the beginning. My then neurologist referred me to an oncologist because they thought I had cancer. After a plethora of tests to include a bone marrow extraction, I was given a thumbs up by my oncologist who is still baffled to this day because I don’t get sick even though I have no immune system. I get tested every 6 months and still my numbers do not change. My doctor said to not change anything I’m doing because it seems to be working for me.

Drummergirl, it’s possible that PD is causing our low numbers. It would be interesting if some other people got their levels checked, on and off Carbidopa.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.  I am usually the least likely between my wife and kids and I to get sick.  Though given DaveN's response I wonder if I should ask to get tested for IgX levels.

Dave,

Thanks for your input on this. There needs to be more awareness given to this topic.  We often read of PD patients who ultimately pass from complications such as infections,  not directly from PD symptoms themselves.

For the last 4 years I have had swings of flu-like symptoms, feeling run down,  had strep 2-3 times a year. This is abnormal for me.

After journaling these symptoms and such, it revealed that I felt great when I was on an antibiotic, (Specifically Amoxicillin)  I would decline again post antibiotic. 

Upon my suggestion, they tested my immune system and it was low. I was referred to an Immunologists who ran numerous labs for 6 more months as she was stumped with the low and continued declining immunoglobulins levels. She ordered more detailed labs, some of  these labs were mailed to the Mayo clinic. Their findings revealed my B cells are high, which typically points to a blood type cancer. specifically my CD19 cells, which are double the normal. Again thinking (Lymphoma). I was referred to Hematology/Oncology. They didn't have me under go a bone marrow because the CD19 cells were the only alarming number, and all my other blood labs are in the normal range. They too had no explanation for this. 

I have ben researching this a bit over the last several months. I have found other Pub med sites supporting that long term use of Carbidopa damages the immune system and should be replaced. 

Im saying this next part cautiously, as many on the forum take Clonazepam. I was also told by two physicians that long term use of Clonazepam suppresses ones immune system also since it effects every organ in the body.

Stump, getting tested sure can't hurt. It's a simple blood test.

Another interesting note; when I'm taking an antibiotic, I average 4 LESS doses DAILY of Carb/Levo which for me equals- 2  less 25/100 a day, since I take a 1/2 tablet.

Edited by Drummergirl

Do you know what the blood test usually costs?  With my high deductible, even if it is "covered", I'm likely to be out of pocket for a test like that.  And I'm not exactly flush with cash.

Drummergirl,

I feel for you.  My Oncologist was stumped when all of my advanced labs came back. That was five years ago.  According to him, I should be wearing a mask at all times and avoid contact with anyone that is ill.  I have limited contact with people most of the time.  I still get sick but no more than the average bear.  I did have a scare a couple of years ago when I forgot to take the preventative antibiotic prior to having my teeth cleaned.  I ended up with a nasty infection around my spinal cord stimulator battery that took about a month to eradicate. My secret to healthy living is that I eat 3 to 4 oranges every day.

Stump, I don't recollect how much the labs cost.  I'll make an effort to check my records to see if I can find out.  I've been hitting my deductible in January because of the high cost of Rytary and Azilect (generic is still expensive).

Dave

Note: I started taking Sinemet about 3+ years ago and switched to Rytary after it was approved by the FDA.

Edited by DaveN
Added Note