helplinedonate
MusicMan

Vitamin B3 ????

Maybe I missed it, but there doesn't seem to be much discussion about the report on vitamin B3 and it's effect on PD. To me, it seems pretty remarkable that it may be greatly beneficial, but there's not much buzz...

https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2018/06/12/vitamin-b3-may-prevent-motor-decline-parkinsons-study/?utm_source=PAR+E-mail+List&utm_campaign=c90727791f-RSS_WEEKLY_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_DAILY_US&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_62dd4fb5e3-c90727791f-72025897

i have been taking Niagen (nicotinamide riboside)  for at least 6 months now, along with N Acetyl-L-cysteine,  started Glutathione spray sublingually a few weeks ago...all because of the mitochondrial research..recently i have been getting "peak" dyskinesia,  tics and grimaces, etc.   When i get up in the morning i feel pretty good, do my exercise routine for an hour before taking the Sinemet..then a couple of hours later the tics etc begin...i am wondering if maybe i should cut back on the Sinemet as this could indicate that i am manufacturing more of my own dopamine,  or am i kidding myself?  it's likely from being on the Sinemet for four years now....My neurologist prescribed Amantadine to mitigate the dyskinesias...my right arm and leg are still trying to curl and my dexterity is still poor., executive function makes me a whooping Olive Oyl, sometimes i actually spin 360 degrees in my indecisiveness.....acch, i don't know why i am writing this.....it's not helpful at all...i thought i would throw it out there because there is so little buzz,  perhaps someone out there has been taking Niagen and has had similar responses?  

On 7/30/2018 at 8:59 PM, spaxter said:

i have been taking Niagen (nicotinamide riboside)  for at least 6 months now, along with N Acetyl-L-cysteine,  started Glutathione spray sublingually a few weeks ago...all because of the mitochondrial research..recently i have been getting "peak" dyskinesia,  tics and grimaces, etc.   When i get up in the morning i feel pretty good, do my exercise routine for an hour before taking the Sinemet..then a couple of hours later the tics etc begin...i am wondering if maybe i should cut back on the Sinemet as this could indicate that i am manufacturing more of my own dopamine,  or am i kidding myself?  it's likely from being on the Sinemet for four years now....My neurologist prescribed Amantadine to mitigate the dyskinesias...my right arm and leg are still trying to curl and my dexterity is still poor., executive function makes me a whooping Olive Oyl, sometimes i actually spin 360 degrees in my indecisiveness.....acch, i don't know why i am writing this.....it's not helpful at all...i thought i would throw it out there because there is so little buzz,  perhaps someone out there has been taking Niagen and has had similar responses?  

I see you are taking 250 mg of niagen 3 times a day. The dosing I saw was for 250 mgs ONCE a day. You may be taking too much, and too much of most B vitamins can be bad.

My DH works at a teaching hospital where research on Niagen was brought up enthusiastically during one of their grand rounds.  The MDs involved in the research told him that they think one to two grams is therapeutic,  whereas the 250mg per day is a maintenance dose in the absence of disease.  

i am at the "what the heck i'll give it a try" stage with my PD, which is progressing but i am still functioning,  When i first started the Niagen, i felt the positive effects immediately, but like with Ashwaganda, it gradually became unnoticeable, but i've kept it up, in case, like with Azilect, it gives me some neuroprotection.

is anyone else taking Niagen?  Glutathione?