helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Srvaughn

Decline in motor symptoms from DBS battery life lowering

How early along the battery voltage going down can a patient experience a decline in motor symptoms?

Can a decline in motor symptoms happen way before a patient reaches  for example 2.60-ERI (Medtronic)?

Can a patient experience there battery life dieing faster after 2.79? for example instead of going down .01 every month it goes down .01 every 2 weeks.

is one of the symptoms of a decline in battery: clinging arm tightly to my side of my body

or what could that symptom be a indicator of?

(when i sit in a chair and hangs straighter than usual not bending at elbow)

thank you so much for you time and help

It is different for every patient but when settings are higher there tends to be a faster decline of battery even when the indicator shows it is ok.  In dystonia cases for example with wide pulse widths and high voltages it can happen early...depletion....

The key is to monitor and if you are getting close to a battery change and the clinician deems it is higher settings that you are on....you may be having rebound symptoms.  The symptoms are usually the same as if you would turn the DBS off.

Have you conducted any studies to show that battery doesn't function well after draining below 2.8V? Could this be possible? i.e patient immediately gained a benefit following battery replacement without having settings changed prior to and  after replacement?  

It is possible; but nothing formal.  There are a few informal studies in the literature.