helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
ShopGuy

Considering Botox--Your Experience?

Foot dystonia's getting more uncomfortable, esp. while driving. Saw my MDS last week (first visit in 10 months)and he suggested trying botox. Other than the dystonia, I'm doing well--a bit more tremor but four years post-dx, still not much change.

I have a friend who's had very dramatic improvement from botox (she goes from barely able to walk before treatment to jumping rope after), so I made an appointment. This will be about a month from now. Two weeks after that, my wife and I are headed to Finland for a couple weeks, including 5 days backpacking in Lapland.

Question for those who've had botox: have you been happy with the results? Any trouble getting insurance to cover it? Any side effects that would make walking, esp. vigorous hiking, difficult? (Obviously I'm hoping for the opposite.)

Thanks.

Edited by ShopGuy

I have been getting Botox injections for about a year now for foot dystonia.  The results are different for everyone.   The Botox helped some of the foot dystonia but not 100%.  I would recommend it as  some relief is better than none.  My MDS coded it focal dystonia.  My insurance paid for it after I met my  deductible.  Ask your MDS about a rebate check from the Botox company.   You submit claim along with EOB insurance sheet online.  You are able to do this for the amount your insurance does not pay.  I have received two checks from the Botox company.  I have now met my deductible so I can no longer apply for a rebate check.  !-800-44-BOTOX      The Botox Company is Allergan.   

• Like 1

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the response. I received a letter from my insurance company last week, approving Botox treatments as often as necessary, and for as long as my doctor thinks it's helpful. So I'll keep the appointment next month and hope for the best.