helplinedonate
Vickijo

Changing from mirapex to Artane

Hi! I am 44 years old and am currently on mirapex ER 2.25mg and Azilect 1mg. I am having some side effects from mirapex such as weight gain, edema, blurry vision and mood swings.  I want to get off mirapex but my MDs wants me to try Artane with the mirapex first. Has anyone tried this? I don’t see how that is going to help me. I asked for sinemet but my MDS won’t give it to me because of my age. Says he wants to wait until I’m at least 50.

I use Sinemet in this scenario in my practice.  I try not to use artane because of cognitive side effects.

I really don’t want to try Artane because of the side effects and I read it doesn’t help PD symptoms much except resting tremor. I don’t have a resting tremor. I only tremor some when I use my affected arm , hand. My symptoms are mostly stiffness, poor fine motor control, slowness,fatigue, anxiety at times and tremor only when anxious. I want to try sinemet but my MDS doesn’t want me to until I’m at least 50 because of concern of dyskinesia. Should I try to put it off due to this? I’m just desperate to feel better . 

We do not delay Sinemet in our practice.  We believe it is a safe and effective treatment.  The doses and the intervals should be adjusted by someone with experience but waiting until 50 years old is not a rationale we have personally used in our practice.  Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

It probably doesn't matter. In my practice we use immediate release.

• Thanks 1