helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
waruna01

Battery replacement

For those of you had DBS battery replaced, at voltage did you do it? Normally ERI indicator appears 2.6 volts. Did you see any noticeable benefits replacing battery before 2.6 volts or before ERI replacement indicator appears?

Waruna,

Insurance won't pay for a replacement any earlier so I doubt anyone has any experience with replacing it sooner. At least that is our experience.

Coach

For the first replacement in November 2006, there was, to my knowledge, no way of knowing in advance if batteries were depleted, apart from reappearance of symptoms,.   As I had two separate IPG, one side would fail first and both would be replaced at the same time.  If I am not mistaken, it was in some cases difficult for people to wait for a few days until the surgeon was available.  And it was decided replacement would be done prior to depletion of one battery. But now with one single stimulator, it’s a different story and I have no experience.

My second replacement took place in January 2014 and was done following ERI indication. It was of course much more comfortable than seeing your symptoms come back.

Regards,

Mireille

My dad had it replaced early. Probably not a good idea. Would wait for ERI indicator next time. However, be sure to ask your programmer to increase upper limits so you can increase voltage as battery runs low. Be sure to lower the voltage when new battery is inserted. I think when battery runs below 2.8v, it may be a good idea to compensate with a higher voltage