helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Tooter

Sinemet and Amantadine

Hello Dr.,

I am a 69 year old female. I started having a foot tremor in 2012 about 3 months after I had bilateral knee replacement. I have been treated and not treated for Parkinson's on and off since then. My recent MRI showed a normal brain, but  sinemet does stop the tremors if I take it often. My tremor has not gotten worse, but I do have a strang feeling of having too much caffeine along with the tremor. I take 2 sinemet 25/100 tabs  three times a day (8, noon, 4). I also now have dyskinesia and was recently prescribed 100 mg tablets (.5to1) in the morning and early afternoon.

The question I have is this: when do I take the amantadine for it to be effective? Currently dyskinesia starts  about an hour after I take sinemet, and lasts until almost the next dose of sinemet. I have a harder time functioning and it is very tiring to keep these big movements going.

Thank you for whatever you can advise.

We use the amantadine 3 times a day spread out or the extended release.

You may also try 1.5 sinemet every 4 hours as an alterative.  Ask your doc and good luck.

Great question.  I do not know of a study examining this question, but in my experience it doesn't make a difference; except that taking before Sinemet may help with dyskinesia in some cases.  It also matters if you take immediate release (3 times a day) vs. extended release (once a day).