helplinedonate
jm3115

Getting Out

Dear Friends, 

It has been a long time since I have posted. Tackling PD alone isn't fun, but felt like I needed some insight from this community. 

I am finding that my tremors worsen, or become more noticeable, when I venture out of my home. Of course, they are always present, but I notice they spike when I leave. Consequently, I am the first one to leave a party and come home early or, more often than not, I just choose not to attend social gatherings. 

Does anyone else struggle with this form of anxiety and Parkinsons? 

Curious in Central California 

• Like 1

Curious (jm)

...believe me you are not on your own, same here with the tremors, gatherings etc. anxiety takes over...I need to get out more..

Take care

Em

Any stressor, positive or negative, makes both motor and non-motor symptoms worse for me. Stress relief techniques like slow, deep breathing and staying aware of my fearful thinking help me make it through most situations. I stay home more than I did in years past. I'm aware of the dangers of total isolation so I haven't become a complete recluse. 

Dianne 

Hi jm3115,

You are not alone. I recently posted a similar question on the board and received some excellent responses. Here are a few things I'm just starting to implement.

1. See a therapist - I've only gone twice but really being able to open up about what is contributing to my anxiety feels like a valve release.

2. Meditation - Even 5 minutes a day

3. Making a list of different situations that create anxiety and write out possible responses for each situation. Such as running into someone I know in public, when a stranger notices or says something about my symptoms, etc. I've found having a few things pre-planned things to say for each scenario helps the "surprise" factor that exacerbates the situation, can bring a little humor and a positive way out of an embarrassing situation, and sometimes can help to educate someone about PD.

If anyone has any good "elevator speeches" that have been helpful, I'd love to have some more tools to help with anxiety in public. Thank you.

Yes, its difficult to be "prepared" for anything. Lately if I just mentally tell myself to RELAX....pause.....and breath it works quickly.

Thank you so much, friends. Your suggestions are top notch. The tendency to become a recluse resonated with me. I'm seeing a therapist, and she's great. The suggestion to do some role playing, or preparing for awkward situations, is good stuff. I meditate often, but typically forget to take deep, cleansing breaths during the anxious moments. Thank you all!!! 

• Like 1