helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

carb/levo 25/100mg

Dear doctor,

Recently my doctor add carb/levo 25-100 mg to Requip.(currenly taking 3 mg 3 times a day) I need to take both carb/levo and Requip three times a day. I am currenly taking levothroid .1 mg and Hyzaar 20/12.5 mg toghther 1st thing in the morning and wait for another hour to take Requip. Since it is better to take carb/levo on an empty stomach, should I take it with levothroid and wait another hour to take Requip or just take with Requip in the morning? My doctor wants me to try carb/levo for two weeks. If it doesn't work, stop taking it and take Requip 4 times instead of 3 times. Is it safe to stop carb/levo after two weeks if it doesn't work? I am only 53 years old, do you think it is too early to take carb/levo. Please advise! Thanks

Karin

There are many approaches that work.

I never have patients stop carbidopa/levodopa-sinemet abruptly as this can be dangerous.

I usually start with an agonist and then if tolerated work to the best dose that helps symptoms without side effects. I usually add sinemet when the time is right and again work it up tailoring therapy.

Dr. Okun,

Thanks for your quick response. Since I have to take Levothroid in an empty stomach in the morning and I know it is best to take carb/levo in an empty stomach also. Is it safe to take Levothroid and carb/levo together? Or is best to wait another hour, then take the carb/levo with Requip. Thank you for your time!

Karin

Karin,

Always best to ask your doc, but in general I usually let patients go either way---but I try to maintain the time intervals between doses so they don't wear off earlier.