helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

Q: Food restrictions while taking Azilect

I have just started taking Azilect. My only other medication is Requip (4mg, 3 times per day). My doctor provided me with a folder on food restrictions such as cheese, soy sauce, dried meats. One item listed is bouillion and that concerns me since I enjoy soups and they often have a beef or chicken broth. Does that mean I should only have vegetarian soup or cream based? Also, how serious is a bit of grated cheddar cheese on a taco or parmesian blended in a bottled spaghetti sauce?

Dear Friend,

It may well be that the FDA is being overly cautious with regard to rasagiline; I understand that Teva intends to conduct a study to determine whether high-tyramine foods are a concern with MAOB inhibitors. In the meantime, though, I would advise prudence. It is possible that some individuals may be more susceptible than others.

If you’d like to try these foods, I would discuss it with your doctor, and ask to be monitored closely. I would also familiarize yourself with the signs of hypertensive crisis. I’m hoping very much that future study will determine that these foods are not a risk, but until then, I’d rather be on the safe side.