helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

Azilect and Tyramine and Other Foods to Avoid

Dear Kathrynne,

The literature says to avoid wine, cheese, and chocolate and also lists many foods that contain tyramine. Is this true for MAO B? I can't imagine doing this diet. Quality of Life seems like it would be harder on this med. It's hard enough juggling Sinemet and protein. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dear Friend,

Which literature are you looking at? That can make a big difference. In earlier days the guidelines were much more restrictive; thankfully, these have eased considerably. If you do not have a copy of Teva’s booklet “Meal Ideas and Menus: Avoiding High-tyramine Foods Made Easy,” ask your neurologist to obtain one for you. Only foods very high in tyramine are a concern.

Furthermore, it’s likely that not everyone using MAOIs is susceptible to tyramine. Here is a study that, while small, is very promising for those using 1 mg rasagiline daily. It’s good to be prudent, especially if you have problems with hypertension; however, I would certainly discuss this with your neurologist

-----------------

Safety and tolerability of tyramine challenge in levodopa-treated Parkinson's disease patients receiving rasagiline

JR Wilkinson, S Reichwein, MB Stern

P02.025; A58

High dietary tyramine is safe for PD patients on 1 mg daily rasagiline, according to this study.

Twenty patients were randomized to receive rasagiline at 1 mg or 2 mg daily, or placebo, for 10 weeks. Patients were free of uncontrolled hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and history of stroke. Mean duration of PD was approximately 5 years, ranging from 0 to 16 years. All patients were taking levodopa.

Patients received 5 tyramine challenges: 75 mg 7 days before commencing rasagiline; 25, 50, and then 75 mg on days 22-24 respectively; and then 75 mg again at the end of the study. Blood pressure monitoring was conducted during the challenges and at home over the course of the study. A significant response to tyramine was defined as systolic BP >180 mm, or a rise >30 mm; diastolic BP >105 mm or a rise >20 mm; or a heart rate >120 bpm or a rise >20 bpm.

No patient receiving 1 mg/day rasagiline experienced a significant response to any tyramine challenge. Two patients receiving 2 mg/day experienced significant responses, neither of whom displayed clinical manifestations:

Patient 1: 25 mg tyramine increased BP from 156/99 to approximately 185/100, which returned to normal without intervention after 15 minutes. In the same patient, 50 mg tyramine induced a larger response which returned to normal after 40 minutes. No further tyramine challenges were performed in this patient.

Patient 2: 75 mg tyramine on day 24 increased BP from 137/89 to 168/85, and on day 75 from 146/81 to 191/108, both times returning to normal without intervention.

Thank you for your reply. The "avoid cheese, chocolate, and wine" was on a yellow warning label from the pharmacist. The teva official website brochure says to avoid aged meats, cheeses, most soybean products including soy sauce and tofu, beer and red wines. I then looked up low-tyramine diet and it says to limit tomatoes to 1/2 cup per day. Tomatoes have tyramine? I love spaghetti sauce! I am prone to hypertension. I used to take hyzaar, then a diuretic, and then nothing because my blood pressure got too low. I've started taking Effexor and less Sinemet [took Tasmar, and now Azilect instead] and my blood pressure seems to be rising again. I'm anxious that I might have a hypertensive crisis if I'm not careful. Thank you for your thoughts.

Dear Friend,

As you are prone to hypertension, you may be among those who are susceptible to the combination of MAOIs and tyramine, and I would discuss this with your neurologist. However, I would still ask him/her for a copy of the booklet I mentioned. It gives the approximate amounts of tyramine (when known) in common foods and also the amounts likely to lead to hypertensive crisis. Tomatoes should be fine, also Romano cheese and a glass of red wine. Oh -- and chocolate can be eaten without restriction!

Let me know how you are doing.