helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

Duodopa dopamine pumps

Yes and no.

Duodopa is sinemet in "liquid" or "gel" form. This, way it can be given smoothly and continuously for 16 hours per day. The idea is by giving sinemet this way, it gets rid of the motor fluctuations (wearing off, sudden offs, etc, etc). With duodopa, there is no need to take any other oral PD medications!

It has been available in selected countries in Europe for several years, but is finally coming to America. In the US, it is only available on an experimental basis, in only a few PD centers.

Yours,

I live in Rhode Island and have Dr. Friedmen as my Neuro. He asked me last year if I would be interested in being in a clinical trial with this pump....I declined. But if you are interested you may try to contact him.

When you say the liquid or gel can be given continuously, do you mean by a pump which must be surgically inserted? Please explain. Also, are you saying with this method of delivery, the patient can get rid of mirapex and comtan? Last, how can I find out which centers are offering this?

I have three questions related to the pump. Would this delivery method eliminate dyskinesia? Is the surgical approach the same as a feeding tube? If so, once a PD patient has the duodopa pump, will a patient still have the option not to have it used as a feeding tube? From what I hear, I understand patients are really pressured by doctors to go with the feeding tube.

Let me answer a bunch of questions in one swoop.

Duodopa is a pump driven treatment that has the potential in many cases to have patients use only the dopamine gel that is given through the tube and no other PD meds. The tube cannot be used for food or feeding, it is exclusive for the dopamine.

In many cases it can decrease or eliminate dyskinesia but there are no guarantees.

Dr. Friedman at Brown is terrific. Dr. Fernandez is a main PI for the study and you can get sites by calling the sponsor Solvay Pharma.

They are available in the US only under research trial.

Swimming I think is possible but I am not positive and would refer you to ask a study PI at a site.

Hope that covers all of them.