helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

Dramatic improvement with Candida antifungal medication

My husband, 57, has had Parkinson's for almost 7 years, and we have recently noticed a decline in his physical condition (postural instability, balance issues, etc.) despite a regimen for many years of Mirapex, Azilect, etc. BUT the most amazing thing happened. As a result of extensive allergy testing through a very reputable lab, he showed a problem with yeast. His doctor put him on 10 days of Diflucan (150 mg). This 10 days was the FIRST time in years where he had much more energy, significantly-lessened tremors (he could eat without any shaking), no "lurching" when he walked, and no balance problems while walking. A few days after he stopped the Diflucan, his Parkinson's symptoms worsened once again. At that point, he doctor gave him 30 days of Diflucan (200 mg) to attack the yeast problem. Again, a VERY DRAMATIC improvement in his symptoms for the entire month. Within a week of ending the Diflucan, his symptoms, once again, are much worse. We understand that there are potential long-term liver issues with the use of this anti-fungal medication, but it is obvious that yeast is a BIG part of his problem. He said that his days on Diflucan were the FIRST time in the last 7 years that he has felt "better". Do you have any information about Candida worsening Parkinson's symptoms and how we can attack this piece of the puzzle? Thank you for your time and concern.

Thanks for your note! I have not heard of fungal/candida infections being related to PD or the anti-fungals proiding symptomatic relief.

So, I comb through the literature and found one case report!

I am attaching it here:

1: Bratisl Lek Listy. 2006;107(6-7):227-30.

Chronic polysystemic candidiasis as a possible contributor to onset of idiopathic Parkinson's disease.

Epp LM, Mravec B.

Institute of Pathophysiology, Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia.

The underlying cause of Parkinson's disease is still enigma. Several mechanisms have been implicated in the etiopathogenesis of PD including oxidative damage, environmental toxins, genetic predisposition, and accelerated aging. Recent research suggests that salsolinol, a derivate of dopamine, is an important contributing factor. In the presence of acetaldehyde dopamine is converted into salsolinol, a neurotoxin involved in apoptosis of dopaminergic neurons. Increased production of acetaldehyde is associated with chronic polysystemic candidiasis (CPC). Chronically elevated levels of acetaldehyde in patients with CPC might participate in the formation of salsolinol and its metabolites in the brain contributing to the destruction of dopaminergic cells in substantia nigra. Clinical mental symptoms of PD often correspond with the mental manifestations of CPC. This hypothesis may constitute basis for further scientific and clinical research of PD etiopathogenesis (Fig. 1, Ref. 29).

Yours,

pd219    0

If there is any way to get ahold of the original poster please message me! I'm in the same boat! i, too, have Parkinson's and seem to be sensitive to wheat. I would love to exchange ideas!