helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
jb49

Good morning!!

papa57    61

Thanks for the post Jb. Its tough losing a friend.

It was a quiet St Patricks day for us. However, my DW is 50% Irish so we had a beautiful dinner of corned beef and cabbage….with a little bit of Jameson and soda!

Dear Lord I love that woman. I can have a blasé day and she can be a pick me up without even trying.

Happy St. Patricks Day to all!

Peace    160

Darn, I just lost my entire post.  Let's try this again.

Hello Everyone!

jb-I would have liked to have known Bill.    I need to go buy some real maple syrup.  I've never had it and am really interested in trying it.

papa-you speaking about your wife in such glowing terms makes me smile.  It's so nice when couples encourage and build each other up.

Diane-I hope you are well on the way to getting your pump.

Murray, Marcia, Island women, johnnys, texas tom and everyone else:  Have a beautiful day.   It is the anniversary of my diagnoses, which also coincides within a day of my birthday.  Somehow it's "ok".  I was worried in the beginning that this time of year would bother me but it doesn't.  Yay for me!

Edited by Peace
  • Like 1

jb49    653

Good Evening,

Hi Peace, Bard, Dianne, Papa57.

Hope your day went ok Dianne.

You too Bard, How is BC this week.  Avalanches are terrible this year it seems.

Papa57, Peace already mentioned it but I wanted to agree with her that you said some very sweet things about your wife.You sound like a lovely couple.

And Papa57 and Peace, thanks for the kind words about losing a friend.   Bill was a member of the forum that preceded this one.  He was a wonderful man and a great poster.  Bill was from Colorado and a friend to many people.

Peace, you should try some Maple syrup.  It is great on pancakes, added to muffin mixes. sweetener for your tea or cereal.  Or take a bowl, fill it with vanilla ice cream and pour a good dollop of maple syrup over it . I could go on but you get the drift I am sure.   It is full of good nutrients as well.  And Happy Birthday Peace.  2 years into PD.  Hope you are winning the fight!!

I watched the hockey game on TV tonite.  Reminded me of Saturday nights 50 years ago when Dad got out the barber clippers and gave haircuts to me and my three younger brothers.  We sat in the high chair, Dad with one eye on the hockey game and the other on his hands. Sunday at Church we could show the missing hair when some player got a breakaway.  Other wounds included burnt neck from the hot barber clippers and nicked ears.  Happy to report that we all survived the Saturday Night haircuts.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

JB 

Edited by jb49
  • Like 2

ellaangel2    191

Hello everyone, Haven't posted in awhile, been busy watching the snow fall.  Got almost 2' here!  I like winter though, so I welcomed it, this is how Winter should be in New York.  I think it is one of the most beautiful seasons.  I so enjoy the change of seasons and feel slighted if I don't see them all to the fullest.  Although, Fall is my very favorite, Summer my least.  

Jb, My childhood seems to come up a lot lately in my mind too.  Funny, you should say you were looking back 50 years, I just did the same thing the other day.......thought to myself, "gee, 50 years ago we moved into the house I live in now."  I was 9 years old.  Seems my childhood comes up a lot in my mind lately.  I enjoy thinking about it.

I like your story about the hockey game and haircut nights.

It's 1:30am, one of those "sleepless" nights, I'm afraid........

Edited by ellaangel2
  • Like 2

papa57    61

jb….I tap a half dozen maple trees, and the sap is finally flowing! Make just enough for home use and gifts. I must admit I don't have the patience to boiling it down correctly so its usually a little watery. But its all for fun.

On your menu choices I have to vote for putting in on vanilla ice cream. Even though it goes well on just about anything.

MarciaJ    267

The weather lady says tomorrow is first day of spring. Yay.

I remember Bill. He was on here to welcome me to the site. Years ago. I found since I turned 65 everything tends to move a little faster, or everyone seems to have more grey hair, and those news people look awful young. They ought to be delivering newspapers. I would not care if I grew older if it is a healthy older. But I guess that's not going to happen. 

I like to read and I like to watch movies so I find it interesting if I read the book that was made into a movie. Sometimes they change a lot. Once in a while I find one that sticks close to the book. Far from the Madding Crowd is a book which choose to stick to the book. That is 1967 version. You might get upset with what happens to the dog. The reviewer mentioned another thing but I can't remember. 

Have a good spring everyone.

• Like 1

em45    14

Hello there folks..it's been a while since i've been here..good to be back..take care

em45

em45    14
On 19/03/2017 at 4:33 AM, jb49 said:

Good Evening,

Hi Peace, Bard, Dianne, Papa57.

Hope your day went ok Dianne.

You too Bard, How is BC this week.  Avalanches are terrible this year it seems.

Papa57, Peace already mentioned it but I wanted to agree with her that you said some very sweet things about your wife.You sound like a lovely couple.

And Papa57 and Peace, thanks for the kind words about losing a friend.   Bill was a member of the forum that preceded this one.  He was a wonderful man and a great poster.  Bill was from Colorado and a friend to many people.

Peace, you should try some Maple syrup.  It is great on pancakes, added to muffin mixes. sweetener for your tea or cereal.  Or take a bowl, fill it with vanilla ice cream and pour a good dollop of maple syrup over it . I could go on but you get the drift I am sure.   It is full of good nutrients as well.  And Happy Birthday Peace.  2 years into PD.  Hope you are winning the fight!!

I watched the hockey game on TV tonite.  Reminded me of Saturday nights 50 years ago when Dad got out the barber clippers and gave haircuts to me and my three younger brothers.  We sat in the high chair, Dad with one eye on the hockey game and the other on his hands. Sunday at Church we could show the missing hair when some player got a breakaway.  Other wounds included burnt neck from the hot barber clippers and nicked ears.  Happy to report that we all survived the Saturday Night haircuts.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

JB 

Hi jb..yes i remember Bill ..what a good friend and yes again jb  a wonderful man..em45

jb49    653

Hi Emily ,

It is a nice surprise to see your name up on the forum again.  How are things for you.?

Hello Dianne, I hope that you are getting through your days okay.  I keep your journey in my thoughts.

Ella, as I get older, I like to recall my younger years.  Not that I dwell in the past, but I did have a wonderful childhood.  I didn't truly appreciate it until I was older.

Papa57,  Goodwork with the maple syrup.  I am sure that your gifts are appreciated.  It is a lot of work eh?

Marcia, happy springtime to you. That could be a good movie. " Happy Marcia's Springtime Adventures."

Good days to everyone,

jb

• Like 2

lenamegan    18

It's super rainy in Seattle today but we have magical nesting hummingbirds sitting on eggs in our backyard!

hummingbirds-sm.jpeg

Edited by lenamegan
add photo
  • Like 4

LAD    216

Relatively new to the forum or I guess returning to it. I decided it was time for me to be positive for others so I've been posting the last few weeks. 

It took awhile but I'm doing well, adapted and adjusted to life with PD. It's going to be different but it's still going be great. 

So good morning or night to you as well. 

LAD

• Like 1

jb49    653

Good morning everyone,  It is the last week of March, the month of deep thoughts as I watch maple sap change into maple syrup as it bubbles on the boiler.  The month of change and preparation for the year 2017 that has only smouldered thus far, ready to burst into a fresh flame of  springtime glory.  The calendar page will be flipped at the the end of the week to release April with its hopes of a budding Springtime.  It will bring with it new Challenges for us all, but also with its hopes and expectations of an easier time of the year.  April will  let us know she is here with warm sunshine on our backs and gentle breezes brimming with scents of warm soil and promises of new growth to our eager senses.  Even the birds gathered around the feeders sing in excited chirps as they discuss new nests, fat earthworms and how their winters in Florida went; like a group of people standing around the watercooler discussing their weekends.  

Ella, I think that I have more time to consider my past now.  I am not going to work anymore and my thinking has become more clear. Even if my short term memory isn`t as good.

Good morning LenaMegan.  Wow, you were lucky to get a picture of the humming bird babies.  Thank you.

And LAD, welcome. back  I have seen that you have been busy posting on the Forum and that is good. Positive thoughts and reinforcement are very important as we deal with this Parky thing.

I hope that you had a good weekend Dianne.

Everybody have a good week.¸¸

jb

• Like 3

TexasTom    716

Good Morning Everyone.

Had a great weekend.

Saturday, A three mile hike was planned with our Golden Retriever Rescue group. Trainer was to cover packs, loading, commands, trail etiquette when hiking with dogs. Lots of great material.  i had been looking forward to it all week, well Friday night my Golden came in with a bleeding nail bed! It was like she amost ripped her nail on something, she was walking just fine but it was bleeding badly.   Wasn't sure what I going to do, but figured the rest of the group would be there, and the best place for me was hiking with a bunch of Golden Retrievers.  Despite a last minute location change, we all got to the same location and enjoyed perfect hiking weather.  Lots of good tips (some of which I actually remembers long enough to write down).

Sunday, good weather held out. So mowed the front and back yard (1.5 acres). Riding mower for big areas, gas powered push mower under trees, bushes, etc. Hit a metal disc (part from a citronella candle) which impacted my leg hard! Nice bruise, but carried on.  Five hours of yard work, amazing I kept at it as I wanted it done. Still managed to spend the afternoon in the workshop on a wood project. 

MarciaJ    267

We saw a flock of what we first thought were birds flying up and had a swirling effect. We were driving on an overpass. On second look it was a flock of Bats! It was dusk light. Don't know where their cave is.  As a kid I saw bats in the barn next door. They eat insects. Don't they? 

Grandbaby arrived and is a cutey.  We have three grandbabies now. 

My mind is going blank. So good health to all. I think this will cover all of us. :rolleyes:

jb49    653

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Tom, it sounds like you keep busy.  That is a good thing that you can.  If you  get tired of cutting grass in Texas, come up to Ontario.  I wouldn't trust just anyone to cut and rake my lawn, but I would let you have a go at it.  Bring your dog with you, there is lots of space here for going on a hike.

Hi Marcia, congratulations on the the new grandbaby.  That is wonderful.  Be sure that you spoil them all.  That is what grandparents are supposed to do.

Different bats eat different things, but I think that most of them enjoy eating bugs.  Some ;people set up houses for them to  live in your backyard and keep the mosquito population down.  I think that the word bat comes from the ancient Greek word ,wingedbaatmouses, which translates into flying mice.  That may or may not be true.

Whether it is or not, have a good day

jb

• Like 1

jb49    653

Good morning everyone,

Hello Dianne,  I am think about you often.  I hope that you are not feeling alone as you grieve for your son. It must be difficult for you.  Hang in there.

If you are out there Linda, I hope that you are ok too.

The maple syrup season will soon wrap up I think.  The days are getting quite warm.  Although we did freeze up enough last nite to trigger a fresh run today. I have syrup bubbling back at the shack right now that I hope to bottle after lunch.  There should be about 12 litres to take off today which will be enough syrup to cover about 500 pancakes.

Maybe one day I will host a Parky Pancake Party.  Man, if that were to be a buffet, and you all scatter food like I do at a buffet, the floor will become some sticky.  If anyone wants to arrive by horseback, it will be no problem to turn them out in the field with Max.

Have a good day everyone,

jb   

• Like 2

bard    19

Hi Everyone

JB I was just back in London and went for a few drives in the country and there was miles of piping thru the maple trees. Quite a sight and the smoke shacks were smoking away. Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day

Bard

Linda Garren    750

jb, it's always nice to see your posts.  The are always so warm and welcoming.  Love hearing about all the things you take care of there in the country.

em45    14

Hi Linda..i have to agree yes to jb i am only back posting again took a break  it's nice to catch up as jb has never changed still as warm and welcoming as ever..and known for his maple syrup..mm hungry now..take care..

em

• Like 1

MarciaJ    267

I was gathering up left over food and other things for the garbage when this caused me to move back and forth . So scrape  move to the left. Scrape move to the right. When I realized this action was similar to PD moves I told DH it reminded me of what movie.

Caddie Shack. When the gopher was moving back and forth to the music.

Sometimes it's just the little things that make it worth living. OK, I admit I liked the Baby Ruth candy bar that floated in the pool. When the movie made it to TV they cut the candy bar floating in the pool. That was the best part.

Peace    160

Welcome back Linda.  I'm sorry about Madi.  I'm glad you and Dusty have each other.

Lenamegan-I watch the hummingbird migration site so that I make sure their food is out and ready for them when they get to my state.

jb-count me in on the party.  Give me plenty of notice because I'd like to go on horseback. LOL.  Me and my Max would be lucky to make it to the mailbox at the end of the drive!  On an old thread I think I remember reading that you drank tonic water for dystonia.  Do I remember that correctly?  If so, how much did it take for symptom relief?

LAD-I love your attitude. 

Bard, Marcia, TexasTom, ellaangel-It's good to "see" you.

em45-Nice to meet you.

Dianne-I hope you're getting along well.

Edited by Peace
  • Like 3

ellaangel2    191

jb, I'd love to come to your pancake party, I love pancakes and would love to have some of your homemade pure maple syrup.  It is very expensive, so many times I have been tempted to buy some pure maple syrup, but budget won't allow, so end up with Mrs. Butterworth's!

Maybe the pancake party would be best done outside, no mess on floor to cleanup that way.......all the spills will be enjoyed by the birds......not sure about this but thinking hummingbirds may love that syrup.

Oh, and I sure would love to meet Max.........

Peace - Good for you awaiting and ready for the hummingbirds arrival.  

Nature is sure to sooth the soul.  I find it is the best medicine.