helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
jb49

Good morning!!

LAD    216
On 4/24/2017 at 10:45 AM, TheCount said:

Good Morning everyone!

I hope you all have (or are having) a great day....I haven't been on here in a little while, just trying to keep myself busy (I don't really need to try) between work, coaching little league, working on my "honey do" list  it keeps me going....The hardest part of everything is not "crashing" when I get too tired and if I stop and rest I don't want to get back up, lol.

Well Happy Moanday....I mean Monday :D

33909055140_fda9cff0b5_b.jpg

LAD

• Like 1

LAD    216
34270123686_3fb301448a.jpg

No I don't have the button but I loved what it said !  Have a good weekend everyone! 

• Like 3

Twitchy mama    44

Oh boy! I need this button!! When folks tell me I look so good and they think my PD must be getting better - well, I just have to chuckle!! (Or scream)

• Like 1

Linda Garren    751

I know just what you mean, Mama.  :-).  I've had friends and acquaintances do the same thing.  What always amazes me is that people don't often seem to look up Parkinson's on line to at least get some idea of the symptoms and prognosis, if nothing else.  I just don't understand that (maybe because I'm compulsive in looking anything up for better understanding).  When I was without a computer for a couple of months recently, I would think of things every day that I would normally have looked up, and it seemed so strange not to have access to do tht.  Some things I would resort to looking up in an old edition I have of a dictionary, but it was too old to have much of the medical terminology and information we need.

Feisty Folder    162

So I've been watching a lot of the TV show " speechless" recently, which is awesome, go watch it right now. It's a sitcom about a British mom, lazy dad, smart aleck first born son, geeky middle boy, and ultra competitive youngest daughter. Oh and that oldest boy, he not only has cebral palsy that keeps him from speaking, but NOT communicating, he's actually played by an actor with CP. The show was created by a writer/producer on "friends" and is basically inspired by his life as the 'normal' child of a 'special needs mum' . I don't even LIKE sitcoms, but this one doesn't just make you laugh, it makes you FEEL. And not in an after school special sort of way. All i can say is all the families I know in a similar situation (including me dealing with my mom's dementia) is sure they are being spied on for the show. Me and my Best Friend, who's got a daughter with severe developmental impairments, have to pause every few minutes to say "that's exactly like the time when..." 

Unfortunately speechless is still a baby, not even a season old, and still not officially renewed. Any way, my point is I needed more entertainment. So I decided to write a sitcom on my life

And so here's a scene from the 'pilot', reacting the unsuccessful bubble bursting of a family member-

Dad- hi kid how you doing?

Wendy Voice over- that's my dad. If he were any deeper in d’ Nile  he would have drowned. As it is his body has got to be pruny from all this time spent floating up to his earlobes in it. I'm an only child, yet somehow I didn't expect to grow up to be the sole adult in my family

Wendy- (glances at mom) fine I guess

Dad- how was your drs appointment?

Wendy (still looking at Mom)- good?

Dad - so the Parkinson's is better than?

Wendy- ummmm… let me call you back on my cell phone. (Hangs up landline) excuse me mom, I need to go yell at dad

Mom- he doesn't understand

Wendy- no he doesn't (kisses mom on the forehead than moves to the hallway pulling out her cellphone) yeah, hi Dad. It's me again… I don't know what part of incurable progressive neurological disease you didn't understand…(sighs)... Yep mom's dementia isn't any better either

Vo - the man has two Masters…. And multiple traumatic brain injuries… three chopper crashes in Vietnam and two major car accidents will do that to a person. Until a decade ago he was the Ill one in the family. Now I'm convinced he's going to outlive us all… including that kid who's baby shower I attended last Tuesday… my dad's just too stubborn to die. Not that I want him dead, just a little less dense than depleted uranium would be nice

Wendy- ...okay I love you too

Vo - That's the first thing I said all day I actually meant.

/Act break/

I think the scenes funnier with the preceding stuff, but I'm still not entirely happy with the teaser, maybe when I'm happy with it I'll post it. 

Surgery went so well today insurance refused a second night in the hospital, that didn't entirely please my medical professionals, given I still haven't been able go pee without assistance. My Pollyanna impersonation is busy saying everything will be fine, I'm going to be great once I haven't been awake for 33 hours straight. The Vegas impersonation is busy trying to start a betting pool about how long before I'm right back there. At least this time they drained my bladder before sending me home, instead of trying to send me home without doing anything about the fact I hadn't peed in 12 hours. The nurses aide who wheeled me out and I have a history, she's been with me at some point during all three admissions in the past month. So when I said my usual "don't take this the wrong way but I hope I never see you again" it turned into an Abbott and Costello routine.

This relationship just isn't working for me any more, I've got new interests, like not being poked with needles

We've been growing apart... I'm pretty sure this giant bariatric chair is responsible

It's not you it's me. It's just I've changed since we met, I've quit the destructive relationship with my ovary and lost ten pounds. 

I need to explore my options

Like other hospitals

*And the last one that had us all bursting with laughter-

It's just the wrong time, wrong place

I don't know if this is the wrong time but it is definitely the wrong place

A friend found me because she recognized my laughter, which was a really sweet moment 

I wish I could remember all the clever things I said last night. One nurse, who was expressing sympathy for mom and I developing our respective diseases so young I gave my standard "yeah, I come from a family of over achievers", made her bust out laughing, my "gotta catch them all"  remark in regards to my long list of diagnosies she didn't appreciate so much demanding "not tonight!" 

Got lots of material for my 'sitcom', I think there's a trilogy in there somewhere. Now if only it would write itself.

LAD    216

Had a PD -0 ...ME - 1

moment today 

hiked a trail to incredible lookout today!

34310875976_a07052d15c_b.jpg

Edited by LAD
  • Like 5

Feisty Folder    162

Beautiful, where is that? It reminds me of a hike I really hated as a kid. The hike part wasn't a problem- mom dragging me up the last little bit, on a cliff so steep the park service had installed chain rails to keep people from falling to their death on the path to get up there, plus my fear of heights... But mom insisted I'd regret not going to the top. Mom as always was right.

Switching gears- I finally thought of a smart aleck summary for Speechless - a TV show about a gardener with a great voice who gets magically transformed into a ventriloquist dummy for a 16 year olds inspired act. The exact opposite of Pinocchio

LAD    216
5 hours ago, Feisty Folder said:

Beautiful, where is that? It reminds me of a hike I really hated as a kid. The hike part wasn't a problem- mom dragging me up the last little bit, on a cliff so steep the park service had installed chain rails to keep people from falling to their death on the path to get up there, plus my fear of heights... But mom insisted I'd regret not going to the top. Mom as always was right.

Switching gears- I finally thought of a smart aleck summary for Speechless - a TV show about a gardener with a great voice who gets magically transformed into a ventriloquist dummy for a 16 year olds inspired act. The exact opposite of Pinocchio

Pole steeple at Laurel Lake near Caledonia state park PA

TexasTom    716

We had our annual Golden Retriever Rescue group swim this weekend. Storms held off, but 110 Golden Retrievers and 117 people it was a great turn out.

We took the harness off my Golden, who is my Service Dog, and told her to go play! She was swimming almost non-stop. Few hundred tennis balls, but she would get a sandy one and come up to the ball bucket and drop it in and get a new one!

QzriLql.jpg

LTtKGQP.jpg

Edited by TexasTom
  • Like 6

LAD    216

Tough day today. My father lost his 3rd friend over the course of 6 weeks. Today's funeral was particularly hard since his friend had PD and his granddaughter read a poem she wrote about it. 

It's been a long time since I had a complete meltdown. I had to leave. Thank goodness for my trainer and friend who put me back together. My dad's friend didn't have the ability to fight but as young onset...we do. Thank God!

keep fighting my friends!

LAD

• Like 2

Serenity Now    19

LAD,

I'm sorry about the passing of your father's friend.  My thoughts and prayers to all who knew and loved him.  

Beautiful picture you posted of your hike. You are doing a great job of fighting this awful disease you have!  Remind yourself that you are human, and you can't be expected to be strong all the time.  

I wouldn't normally post on this thread, but wanted to send you my condolences since you've been so kind to me. 

• Like 2

TheCount    9

Hey everyone, its been a little while since I have been one here and I hope that you are all doing well.

LAD- I am sorry to hear about the passing of your fathers friend, hang in there like you said we have the ability to fight.

I myself had a meltdown last Thursday as that was the day I had my first follow up appointment after my dx and on the doctors suggestion I brought my wife with me. This was good because I had a second set of ears to listen to the doctor and also for her to get a better understanding of this (from the doctors mouth). 

Once we got home I just lost it (she had left to do some shopping) but after letting it all out even though I was alone I felt a lot better since I realized that with the help of my doctor I have a game plan now, and I plan on winning this game.

Is it just me or do any of you feel that you have become more emotional now, for me it started before my dx (when some of my symptoms started a few years back), before this I would only get emotional during big moments (my wedding, seeing my kids born etc). I dont know if its me just getting older or what, lol.

Also the doctor started my on 1mg azilect and told me that it usually takes 6-8 weeks for me to feel the effects and it should work 1-5 years for me (everyone is different), anyone have any good/bad experience with this?

Thanks

LAD    216
11 hours ago, Serenity Now said:

LAD,

I'm sorry about the passing of your father's friend.  My thoughts and prayers to all who knew and loved him.  

Beautiful picture you posted of your hike. You are doing a great job of fighting this awful disease you have!  Remind yourself that you are human, and you can't be expected to be strong all the time.  

I wouldn't normally post on this thread, but wanted to send you my condolences since you've been so kind to me. 

Thank you! Hope all is well with you! 

LAD

• Like 1

Feisty Folder    162

I saw my mom for the first time in ten days today. I'd been trying to hide how sick I'd gotten after my first surgery from her (and ended up having to spill part of the beans to her anyway). Anywaythe way she greeted me was priceless.

I'd knocked on her apartment door and when I didn't hear anything I opened the door. She'd made it as far as the sitting area, when she saw me she got up on her tip toes raising her hands in the air like she wanted to be picked up. And then she just stood there until I realized she wasn't going to come any closer, causing me and my walker pick our way through the clutter I haven't been around to ensure gets cleared up. And when I put my arms around her she just folded in around me saying "it's so good to see you"

I spent the next hour getting her calendar back in order if not her stuff. I've been told to go to my happy place alot this past month and it was a jolt when I first realized that what I did today, that's it.

Now somebody quote me in a month when I'm complaining mom has a bladder infection and I need sleep. ?

Sleep....Yum... I think I'll go try to go get me some of that. Lulled to sleep by images of 67 year olds who think their 6.....And lots and lots of love

Good night

• Like 1

jb49    654

The rocket thundered on takeoff from  ``other places``, or was it Outer Spaces, picked up shuttles that clicked onto our Rocket from other galaxies, skimmed through Milky Ways, Black Holes and Time Warps.  The online show was a new sitcom produced by a Miss Feisty Folder and proved very interesting.  The flight was ``Out of this`World``. Pun intended. Very modern it was, But with very little ceremony they prepared me for exit and my return Home and I was ejected out of the Air Canada Rocket by an older than me gentleman, a former WW 2 Air Force Crewman, a bomb aimer I believe he may of been, who calculated wind drift, our Mach 7 ground speed my weight and the heftiness of my carry on luggage that I clutched,(hoping he wouldn`t discover my Trail Mix raisins and peanuts from some other stratosphere),  and pushed me out the Arriving Somewhere  Rocket Exit Tube as we passed over Kilkenny on the next orbit of the earth. I fell,  the chutes opened, I drifted, I saw land, I saw ocean, flooded rivers and cars and cows and people and landed in my backyard. The horse knickered for a bale of hay and the dog needed out to pee.  It was nice to get home.     

• Like 5

Twitchy mama    44

Welcome home JB we have missed your smiles. I figured you were off visiting your publisher for your next book!

i am off next week to visit British Columbia and the Rockies and maybe find a winery or two near Discovery! So excited- twitchy mama

em45    14

Good one twitchy mama..i also thought jb was off visiting his publisher..hope you enjoy your breakaway my son a i went to BC a few years ago (due another visit) we have family in Trail beautiful there..

Welcome back jb can't believe you passed kilkenny and never popped in to say hello..i'll forgive you this time ( he! he)

take care folks

em

ellaangel2    191

Welcome Back Jb, we tried, but the forum just wasn't the same without you!

I thought you came over to the States, possibly Canalside, our new area down near the Buffalo Marina, figured you would be driving your pancake food truck, serving nice warm pancakes and waffles with homemade syrup!  Food trucks are the hip new thing going on over here.  I kept driving around looking for you, even called out your name a few times......people looked at me a little strange, but I was determined to find you!

• Like 2

Beau's Mom    1,060

Welcome home, jb.I'm irritated with my government today, plus a few doctors and my landlord, so I am glad to know you are safely back in Canada.

Dianne

bard    19

Welcome back JB sounds like an awesome trip

Bard

jb49    654
7 hours ago, Linda Garren said:

jb, I don't understand......anything.  :wacko:  Can you explain to those of us who are Parky brained?

The rocket thundered on takeoff from  ``other places``, or was it Outer Spaces, picked up shuttles that clicked onto our Rocket from other galaxies, skimmed through Milky Ways, Black Holes and Time Warps.  The online show was a new sitcom produced by a Miss Feisty Folder and proved very interesting.  The flight was ``Out of this`World``. Pun intended. Very modern it was, But with very little ceremony they prepared me for exit and my return Home and I was ejected out of the Air Canada Rocket by an older than me gentleman, a former WW 2 Air Force Crewman, a bomb aimer I believe he may of been, who calculated wind drift, our Mach 7 ground speed my weight and the heftiness of my carry on luggage that I clutched,(hoping he wouldn`t discover my Trail Mix raisins and peanuts from some other stratosphere),  and pushed me out the Arriving Somewhere  Rocket Exit Tube as we passed over Kilkenny on the next orbit of the earth. I fell,  the chutes opened, I drifted, I saw land, I saw ocean, flooded rivers and cars and cows and people and landed in my backyard. The horse knickered for a bale of hay and the dog needed out to pee.  It was nice to get home.     

Oh gosh Linda, nobody is more ParkyBrained than I am.  I'm sorry if that posting above caused any confusion.  There is really nothing there to understand. The truth is that last week I did go on a short trip to Minneapolis, ( a beautiful city that is by the way. Lots of good food, lots of nice people) and I returned on Sunday.  What I did post on Wednesday was just a flight of fantasy, a science fiction breakaway, a Tom Swift moment of imagination. I don't know where Marcia is. Usually she points out to me that I am having a Walter Mitty Moment.  So Linda, if it made no sense to you,  that is probably a good thing.

• Like 2