helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
jb49

Good morning!!

And Good morning tonite.   Hope everyone is having a good week. Rather, had a good week. This is Friday morning isn't it.  

I just wanted to catch up on some replies and comments.

The Count..I like your sign in name. Were you a big fan of the Muppets per chance? Azilect......I was on it.  Very e$pen$ive and didn't seem to do much for me.  But drugs work different for different people.  Good Luck  with it.  And I am  more emotional now than I was. Parkinsons, drugs, older, I don't know.   Lad., you like slogans and such.  A long time ago, we had a thread about what we would put on T shirts for Parkys .  I wonder if I could find it again.  You like to go hiking.  When you stood on top of that mountain, did you sing the Rocky theme song to yourself? Twitchy M and Linda, sometimes when I run into someone in town and they say , oh you are looking pretty good (healthy they mean), I think to myself yeah, but you should of seen me before I felt good enough to drive in here.  And like a CinderFella, there is a time constraint and I better be home before these damn pills wear off. Hi Serenity. Feel free to post on this thread whenever you want to. Feisty Folder, your evolving  television production is very interesting.  Tom, I'm glad that you are not getting washed away with the storms in Texas that we hear about and see on the news at night.  And that is a lot of dogs. Do they all get along with each other?  Hi #57 from Wisconsin.  Dianne, I am glad to see you on the board.  I hope you are feeling more comfy.  FF, you have a sweet and Tender relationship with your Mom I am thinking. TM, you will love BC. Right Bard? And EM, I think I saw you talking to your neighbour and I did wave to you and tossed a litre of syrup to you.  I think it landed in  Ireland.  Hmm. Wonder if Lucy picked it up...  Ella, its the price of gas and the low Canadian dollar that restricts me from the USA food truck market.  That and the protective trade barriers and pancake protectionists and syrup sanctions and subsidies.  Its a real waffle war going on there.   And Dianne again, hope you win your battles with pain, doctors, landlords and government.

And then, the hour getting late,  I selected a sleeping pod that was designed to look like an old stage coach of the west. I set the timer for 6 hours and climbed up into it and pulled the door shut. Photo strips of the Wild West played on the wall to create the illusion that I was actually moving. Or was I really?  The mini bar was actually a mini Walgreens and there was a full selection of Parky medications.  I decided on a couple Mellow Yellow Levadopas and washed them down with a drink from a bottle that said Rotgut Whiskey but I knew it was really just orange juice. I adjusted the sound track of a six horse team galloping down a rocky road with a teamster whistling out to them and geeing and hawing on the reins that made  slapping sounds over the rhythm of 24 steel horse shoes striking the flinty road  while another voice, that would of belonged to the guy who would be riding shotgun, sung "Get Along Little Doggies". I settled in for a nice sleep on the horse hair cushioned bench. It had a massage feature so I thought what the heck and pushed in a couple coins and set the movement for "Realistic Stage Coach Ride" but then reduced it back to the "Let the Horses Walk While I Sleep" setting after falling out of the bed to the floor a couple times and getting my Roy Rogers pyjamas all dusty.   I ended up sleeping good, but I awoke in some place called Abilene when the timer went off and I don't even know where that is.   Now what?

Edited by jb49
  • Like 4

Mornin', jb. Abilene is 140 miles west of Fort s. Worth, TX where I lived for 30 years. Way fewer trees because the more west you go, the drier it gets. Thanks for the smiles; a dose of your consistent warmth and storytelling is a great way to start any morning.

Wishing each of you a day of contentment and blessings, big and small. Look for them; they are in sight.

Dianne 

Jb - Your imagination is unreal (that it is!)

Although, your imagination isn't all you've got going for you.........hard for me to name all you attributes, I guess I have to say ".you are just plain special!"...........no blushing now!   :wub:

No wonder we missed you so much!

15 hours ago, jb49 said:

The rocket thundered on takeoff from  ``other places``, or was it Outer Spaces, picked up shuttles that clicked onto our Rocket from other galaxies, skimmed through Milky Ways, Black Holes and Time Warps.  The online show was a new sitcom produced by a Miss Feisty Folder and proved very interesting.  The flight was ``Out of this`World``. Pun intended. Very modern it was, But with very little ceremony they prepared me for exit and my return Home and I was ejected out of the Air Canada Rocket by an older than me gentleman, a former WW 2 Air Force Crewman, a bomb aimer I believe he may of been, who calculated wind drift, our Mach 7 ground speed my weight and the heftiness of my carry on luggage that I clutched,(hoping he wouldn`t discover my Trail Mix raisins and peanuts from some other stratosphere),  and pushed me out the Arriving Somewhere  Rocket Exit Tube as we passed over Kilkenny on the next orbit of the earth. I fell,  the chutes opened, I drifted, I saw land, I saw ocean, flooded rivers and cars and cows and people and landed in my backyard. The horse knickered for a bale of hay and the dog needed out to pee.  It was nice to get home.     

Oh gosh Linda, nobody is more ParkyBrained than I am.  I'm sorry if that posting above caused any confusion.  There is really nothing there to understand. The truth is that last week I did go on a short trip to Minneapolis, ( a beautiful city that is by the way. Lots of good food, lots of nice people) and I returned on Sunday.  What I did post on Wednesday was just a flight of fantasy, a science fiction breakaway, a Tom Swift moment of imagination. I don't know where Marcia is. Usually she points out to me that I am having a Walter Mitty Moment.  So Linda, if it made no sense to you,  that is probably a good thing.

LOL!  Thanks, jb.  One never knows with creative minds like yours and Feisty's!  (Have to admit I had to look up Tom Mix...)  :-)

Hi jb. I've been lerking about. Just reading. Can't post a lot cause I don't know much. Than everyone will know how little I do know. 

Glad you are back jb. All of us are sitting around the fire waiting for our next story. 

• Like 1

Good evening everyone, or the ones that read this thread.  

Nice to see you Marcia and I am not buying into that don't know anything stuff.  You know how to shrink yourself and live in a green bottle of dish washing soap and peek out an air hole.  How do you do that? And you know all about movies cause you explained K-Pax to me one day.  And I thought I lost this post and then I remembered that red button up higher that you told us about.  AND don't forget that you just explained job lists to us and how if you don't write it on the list , it doesn't have to be done.  Hmmm!  Don't tell me you know nuthin.   

Hi Linda.  Hope you and everyone have a good weekend. 

Well. I am tired out.  I may go to Echo Beach and sleep on the sand tonite.  I think they don't allow the stage coach and horses onto the beach area.

Be strong everybody. jb

• Like 3

Not sure where Echo Beach is but if it is where I live than you would get cold on the beach. Tonight it is supposed to get to 32 degrees and we need to cover sensitive growth. At least that is what the weather guy said. 

The news lady told us to be careful outside because Lyme has arrived here. It use to be mostly on the east coast but it's here cause the doctors here don't know what to do with it. I have already had an unwelcome tick. I don't have a dog to watch but we have two cats. Visiting cats that is. But they are strictly indoors cats. 

Good health to all. 

m

Good morning Marcia, Linda, Ella, Dianne and Everyone else here in Parkysville.

Marcia, Echo Beach is in ones mind.  An escape destination.  As in the song. It is another Moon River. It is a great tune.

Lots of flooding across the country, especially around Ottawa and Montreal. My brother was affected some by this record water height and flooding.  He lives in Ottawa and came down to stay at my sisters house for 5 days but returned to his home yesterday.

Well, I am off for a little walk .  Maybe see if I can get my arms and legs swinging a bit better.  I think that when I get out of bed in the morning I must look a bit robotic,  And not a good Robot.  Like a home made one by a kid in the sixties.  Powered by a rubber band twisted up tight.  Too tight, the band has to be poked and flicked to start its unwinding and making arms and legs jerk into motion.  And the wooden arms thrash around and the legs run, then stop and the joints have to be better than nails through cardboard and maybe it should have batteries cause the rubber band just expended all it's power,.  

Marcia, we have to be careful of Ticks here too. That lymes disease is the big worry here, although not many cases are reported that I know of.  A walk to the woods is always followed by a tick check.    The dog takes a pill, well actually, I give him a pill. To kill ticks that attach to him. Why don't I take one of them? Hmm, 

Have a good day everybody. jb

• Like 1

Yes I do like the slogans.  You have to find motivation somewhere...right?  My mom had a good one today regarding her latest stroke..." I'm back in the saddle but I'm missing a stirrup!" Guess she's my inspiration along with my ADHD son Zach  who comes up with "zachism's" 

LAD

• Like 2

Good morning tonite to everyone. 

I like slogans too Lad, keep them coming.  Your son can turn them out too eh? Like mother like son. 

My dad, rest his soul, used to make us laugh by screwing up common phrases and words.  Commenting on something; I remember him once saying that he would not do that for "all the hay in China"  All the "tea" in China I corrected him.  He replied that they have lots of hay there too.   Another time we were all together talking about a story in the news that day about a pet snake in an apartment building moving around through the piping and suddenly appearing in someones toilet.  My Dad stated that those pipers can be as thick as his arm and very long.  I said "Dad, I have heard of pythons and vipers but never pipers. What are they?"  He quickly replied that they are big snakes and live in pipes.  You just can't argue that.  I have two older sisters and three younger brothers and we can sit around and recall lots of "Jackisms".  I miss talking with him.

Have good days everyone, jb     

• Like 2

Good morning,

I hope that this inserted picture sticks.  I hope that it doesn't blow up the whole forum with asparagus sprouting all over the place. I spend my days hoping with fingers crossed for different things.. I have been trying to stick this in a post for an hour now. I had trouble loading it into my photobucket account. I had lots of trouble with that site. It was trying to smother me with ads, one being I could eliminate ads for as little as 14.99 a year.  It operated very slowly; screens rotated showing pictures, albums, recent uploads.  It was taxing my patience. And I can be very Job-like.  Anyways. It looks like the asparagus stuck.  This was the year that I would get all the grass plucked from the 'spargus patch.   Okay, I didn't get that done either.  But it is growing now and tastes great.  It also means that spring is here.  The first meal of it is a small one, maybe 3 or 4 tender sticks of it.  The next one is bigger. The third meal of it more than I should of cooked. The 4th meal is eaten at my Neighbours table by them, a rite of spring around here.  Roy likes to sneak in and steal it from me; then like a 5 year old, he makes sure that I know he stole some last night.  Well, I just pulled back the disappearing spargus picture with a control Z. I am posting while it is still there.  Good days to everyone.  This planet earth will feed and sustain us with good healthy food like Asparagus (even if it makes my pee smell). We just have to use common sense and don't demand too much of it and put some work and effort back into this planet. Oh yeah, I was done writing and ready to hit post wasn't I.   Hope everyone has a good weekend.   jb       

51be6300-e1d7-43bc-8ae2-4683476091a6_zps

Edited by jb49
i wrote trouble trouble in one spot, double trouble, perhaps Freudian?
  • Like 1

I've been really working hard at getting the house clean. But I realized this morning that today I have to clean it again. It doesn't stay clean. What a bummer. So what I might do is clean the house and take a picture of the clean rooms and when people come over show them the picture and say, "This is what it looked like yesterday. You should have come yesterday. But since you came today you will have to live with it. Or we can sit on the porch and watch the grass grow."

I wonder if porches were put on houses for people to sit on in the evening when the house is hot. Not everyone can afford air conditioning,

I forgot. We are supposed to exercise. The last time I saw my neuro he seemed to be thoughtful that I've had PD for nine years. He told me to exercise. 

I would gladly give that ribbon to anyone that wants it. I mean for having PD the longest. I know lots of others have had it longer than me. 

Lots of hugs to all. 

• Like 2

Marcia, I often resist exercise myself. My best friend since 8th grade, Sue Who, showed me her purple Fitbit yesterday, I loved the color, if not the concept of walking 40,000 steps a day.

Dianne

If you use walking as your main exercise...or cleaning your house..,,

1. Swing your arms - big 

2. Look around and say things you see..

3. Open and close or flick your hands. 

4. Take big steps 

Sorry i can't help myself?

Edited by LAD

11 hours ago, Beau's Mom said:

Marcia, I often resist exercise myself. My best friend since 8th grade, Sue Who, showed me her purple Fitbit yesterday, I loved the color, if not the concept of walking 40,000 steps a day.

Dianne

What is a Fitbit? Best friend since 8th grade is outstanding. I wish I had a friend from those years.

I love my fitbit - mine is like a watch that tracks my heart rate, sleep, steps that I take.  You can challenge others to contests - like I'll challenge my kids to see who gets the most steps for the weekend.

Happy Mother's Day to my "good morning" moms.... These are the reasons I won't stop fighting....

LAD

34507521001_939ee161a0.jpg

• Like 3

Happy Mother's Day Everyone!     And for those of you who are resisting going to visit or calling your mother:  Suck it up!  Today is more important to most Mothers than they will let you know!

I think I'll go look for some asparagus like jb.  I love asparagus.  

Tom:  I would have loved to been there the day you had all of those Goldens together.  What a sight.

Marcia:  Do you know how wise you are? 

Hello Diane, LAD, Bard, Linda, lorit, jb, ellaangel, em and all my other Good Morning friends.   Have a fantastic Day.

Hi Peace. Wise words well spoken.  I agree with you that Marcia is very  wise. Nobody says so much with such few words.  She appears a little green in her new icon.  I hope she hasn't eaten too much aspargus.  This is the time of year that I have to be careful that my horse Max doesn't eat too much green grass and gets into trouble.   Asparagus is wonderful, Asparagus is fine, I love asparagus, I eat it all the time.    Nice pictures of your Sons LAD. I hope all the  Moms here had a great day.  jb

• Like 1

Good Morning, I hope that everyone had a good weekend, a good nites sleep and has ideas for a good week .

Yesterday, my Mom came out to the Farm from the retirement Manor for Mothers day.  She is 88, needs to use her walker, but is ready to go anywheres.  I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters with spouses and kids,and some grandkids that were coming for lunch. Some of my cousins that live nearby came as well. Everyone brought salads and butter tarts, cheese cake and the usual assortment of summertime food.  I cooked some pork loin roasts for sandwiches the night before.  I still had lots to do to get ready for the 25 plus people coming for lunch when I got up Sunday morning.  Vacuuming, clean the bathrooms, get myself cleaned up, put the extra leaves in the dining table,  slice the meat and all that stuff.  I used to be able to fly through a list of those things.  A 5 minute shower use to take me only 3 minutes. I could vacuum with one hand and dust the cabinets with the other. Unload the dishwasher, and fill pickles dishes at the same time.  But not now.  I realized that dragging that unwelcome, leeching companion named Parkinson that has been riding my back for the last 10 years is causing me trouble. He is getting heavier, my back gets sore, my arms sometimes feel like lead, My feet drag across the floor like I was wading through waist high molasses. I was up at 7:00 to finish preparing, People would be arriving at high noon.  I said to myself, "Self, just relax. What gets done, gets done. It is just family, the  food will get served, Everything will be fine"  I was running the vacuuum with short pushes and pulls, one eye on the clock, and tottering around, wondering if I really took pills this morning when my Sister from next door came in.  An angel to my rescue at about 10:30.  She, I often call her St. Susie, soon had me on track to finish things needing to be done. Instead of skittering from job to job with no accomplishment. She took quick and efficient steps as she always could, and soon had the kitchen stuff organised, table set and we were ready when people started to arrive. I swear, she could organise violent rioters in the street into a Sunday School Picnic.  I think everyone had a good day, Everyone got filled up with yummy food.  There was still a dozen people stayed for supper of leftovers and a big feed of asparagus which quickly disappeared.  I even had leftover cheescake for breakfast today. 

Yesterday reinforced two things that I already knew:  One being that my parkinsons symptoms are more pronounced and stress makes them worse to the point of freezing up.  The faster I go, the slower I am.   And second, but first, I am lucky to have grown up and lived with my own family within a bigger family that has always been close and supportive of each other. 

I hope everyone has a good day today and can pull some contentment out of this trainride called Life: with its delays, detours, unmarked stations, speeding downhill runaways clinging onto tight bends, dark tunnels, high trestle bridges over vast gorges, and slowly chugging uphill tracks. But always with new views and outlooks, challenges and rewards: travelling this railroad,  knowing where you have been, wondering whats around the next bend. 

jb

• Like 5

He swung the door open and stepped in, The cat slept by the fire which was burned down to a few glowing embers.  Someones porridge was on the stove cooling in a pot.  Mud from someones shoes lay on the floor not quite dried out to plain old dirt again. There were dishes on the side board waiting for their turn in the sink and he recognised different cloaks hanging on the wall. Where is everybody?,  he wondered aloud.  With hat in hand he called out good morning.  Louder he called again and he heard his voice echo down the hallway and bounce about the Great Room.  Hmm he wondered, and stepped back outside and pulled his toque down onto his head.  He swung the heavy back door shut with a clank as the heavy latch fell into its worn seat and started back out the lane leading his old cart horse, looking back over his shoulder at the house. 

Good morning everyone,  Hope everyone has a great day!!   jb

• Like 1

jb!  That better be Chapter 1 because I'm hooked!   So many questions unanswered. 

Your family sounds like a wonderful group of people.  I know you know how lucky you are for being part of something that good.

ok jb, quit holding out on us, tell us how many books you have written????  Come on, I know an author when I see one!