helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
jb49

Good morning!!

7,291 posts in this topic

He knew better than to look backwards and walk, especially of late and he stumbled over his own two feet that he had always walked upon. If not for a tight grip on the horse's reins and its steadiness, he would have fallen, yet again.  Thank you Jake he said and gave him an unsold carrot from his pocket and a pat on his neck.  Its my old boots, they are worn out he said to the horse. He stroked the neck of the draft horse, smelt its sweat, or was that his?  But who cares he thought. Do you care Jake? The sun was warm and he felt a weariness that he couldn't shake.  He lead Jake off of the laneway and into some shade.  With the wheels quiet now, standing still, he listened to the world and the buzz of flies. Tired out, he closed his eyes and leaned against the horse. Moments later, distant noises brought him out of his horselike standing nap and his eyes lifted back the few hundred yards to the rear side of the  Manor and its servant doors and sheds.  Maybe he was imagining it but that sounded like a door swinging shut.  And there was the sleeping cat very much awake now and strutting like the Owner himself;  out past the chicken coop and to the goat pens..  "Quite a cat there Jake old boy that can swing a door shut after itself" he told the horse and himself.  When fresh smoke rising from the Cook's chimney met the gaze of his squinted eyes he knew there were people back there.  Was that a face looking out from behind the heavy curtains of the library windows?  Had he returned to the yard right away he would of seen the Cook scraping the porridge from the pot into the dogs dish. She announced to the milk maid who was wrestling a goat out of the henhouse, that there was enough cake and cheese left over from last night for the breakfast. Efficiently, not one to waste trips outside her kitchen and thinking of suppertime, the Cook seized a chicken that ventured too close to the dog's porridge for the last time.  

Edited by jb49
2 people like this

Good Morning everyone, It is a new day, grab onto it and squeeze as much good out of it as you can.  

Peace, that could be a start to a story.  It also could be a jumble of ideas that end up going nowheres. I encourage posters to keep the Hellos and How are you and Whattzzupps coming on the Good Morning Thread.  Ella, Me rite book? Ha.  not me. I like to project out ideas but that is usually as far as they go.  But thank you for the encouragement, That is nice.  LAD, if there was anymore cheesecake in the fridge, I would carp diem it again.  But it looks like Shreddies today. Oh well. ( sigh)

Nashville Predators are doing pretty good against the Ducks of Anaheim.    Music City is being renamed by some as Smashville.   Ottawa and the Pittsburgh Penguins are having an excellent series as well.  You Americans must be very happy to have had Wayne Gretzky and the NHL  introduce the worlds best sport, our game of Hockey, to you many years ago now.  

I better get going, good days to everyone.  jb

Edited by jb49
2 people like this

jb, I like any story that has a cook in it.  lol. Liked your story. 

Hello Miss Marcia,  Quiet day here today eh? I think your new green face icon is pretty cool.  But I wonder... Can you hear me inside that bottle of green dishwashing soap?.  Who shrunk you down and put you in there anyways? At least they gave you a peep hole to look out. Oh., I may be wrong about that. Maybe you are on a cruise ship, the waves are high, the ship is pitching and rolling about and you are sick sick sick to your stomach and totally green from nausea and you are looking out the port hole window wondering if it would be better to open it up, wiggle through, drop to the ocean below your window and swim to shore.  I think that you better hang on there Marcia, try some gravol or at least Pepto Dismal.  I'm sure the weather will change.  Your shade of green does remind me of Hulk.  But you are totally different than that guy.  I don't think you ever fly into a rage with fury enough to turn green.  And if you did have a rage attack, you would soon tear your way out of that cotainer with a peep hole that you are trapped within.  

While you are in there, do you have any idea where the simple story that I started can go and retain any sort of , well, "story line".  It takes so long to type.  If I could tell you what the story is and you typed it with your condensed and wise short phrases, it would save a lot of typing for me with all the run on sentences I write and can't seem to stop writing them and they go on so long and repeating themselves over and over and I should have a key on my keyboard that says "and" instead of hitting the three keys a n and d everytime.  We could do a chapter about the Cook, if that would help entice you. You did say that you like Cooks in stories.   We could title the chapter "The Cook and the Door to Door Vegetable Salesman With a Horse and Cart And He maybe Has Parkinsons". You maybe could shorten the chapter heading a bit. Perhaps it should start out with an explanation that He, the vegetable salesman has parkinsons, not that horse named Jake.   And the Cook is preparing a hugenourmous banquet that night because the Banker who owns the big Manor House, surrounding Farms and hires all those people,  has returned from a big holiday in Europe with his wife after touring Ireland, Great Britian, Isle of Wight, and Spain on the French Riviera. No, he wasn't to France Marcia, "French Riviera" ,is the name of the steamship he sailed home on. Yes, that is confusing. Okay then,  Lets call the ship Lollipop then, The Good Ship Lollipop.  And as the banquet is wrapping up, The Cook announces that she has been saving her wages, and has purchased the property by paying the unpaid taxes and the near penniless previous owner has returned home to nothing. Well, he can sleep in the goat shed tonite, And the workers are going to reopen the Manor as a Micro Brewery and Dance club with a Boxing gym at the back. 

Or do you have any other plot line we could use. 

Have a good day Marcia..

3 people like this

* WARNING * WARNING * VENTING AHEAD * pressure release required * system 98% of critical * DANGER * scalding steam will be released in 5...4...3...2...1...

( If I'd just typed I was having a bad day you wouldn't have been nearly as entertained 😏)

Nothing's going horribly wrong at the moment, but it's funny how the little things can get you riled up so much more than the big ones. I think because they're smaller they have the ability to use stealth, tiptoeing up behind you before grabbing you… and we all know what happens when a parkie gets startled 😲

Also sometimes, like recently, they form some sort of alliance with each other, coordinating their movements, with surgically timed strikes, designed to wear you down until you go mad, sending you running through Safeway swatting at the invisible Pixies flying around your head screaming “The curse Gremlins are after me, quick I need a trophy Emoji to fend them off!” I swear to you that last joke would make sense to my best friend. Unfortunately she is currently unreachable, one of many things that is making me feel a bit down today. But let me start at the beginning

I guess my current batch of problems begins at the end of my last batch. The night of my last ER visit, on April 27th, I called my dad to tell him I was having surgery the next day. After I told him my news, he had business so urgent he put another errand on my to do list: he informed me that I needed to get Mom to a notary so that she could sign a new power of attorney.  Apparently the power of attorney that got signed last fall, after her dementia was already obvious (The anniversary of her being found wandering is next week, yet another reason I'm a little on edge, particularly since all this new paperwork is bringing up bad feelings about how much I BEGGED for them to get their affairs in order before something like that happened)  anyway the power of attorney that's less than a year old doesn't include the word durable in it.  For those of you not familiar with all the legal mumbo-jumbo that comes with caregiving, if a power of attorney isn't durable, it will cease to be effective if the person who signed it becomes incompetent, like say with,  I don't know let's just pull something out of thin air… dementia.  I don't know whether or not I would have caught that mistake, but I do know I've been asking for a copy of those documents since they were signed, and have never been given them. He finally sent the new power of attorney documents to me Tuesday and they got here yesterday, he says he needs a copy as soon as possible, though he hasn't explained to me why. It'll become apparent why that's a problem in a few paragraphs. I'm also slightly irritated because I've been asking to be given limited power of attorney for over a year and while there's documents giving dad power of attorney there's none for me: you know, the person who's been her primary caregiver for six months, and would need some sort of document giving me legal power were my father to die after my mom has become legally incompetent.   Last fall, he promised to get their lawyer to draw up documents giving me limited power of attorney for Mom after hunting season was over. Well hunting season is very, very over, so I'm slightly irritated about that too.  but those feelings are in the present, for now, let's use the Wayback machine to travel to the very exciting historical period of last week.

At the beginning of last week, I started getting intermittent periods of tachycardia. It took 4 days to figure out that I'd been given a bad generic of a drug I've been taking for years. The generic released the medication very unevenly, giving me a side effect I've never had with the name brand or any other generic. My heart rate hit 140 when I was brushing my teeth. I attend some spin classes in which my average heart rate for the hour is less than that. Since I basically felt like I was hopped up on caffeine I didn't get much sleep and also felt generally pretty terrible. I've been spent the rest of last week and part of this week sleeping it off, or at least sleeping it off as best I could. What with my heart feeling like it was beating out of my chest I went to see my primary. Even having to go see my primary kind of irritated me given the fact that just the week before I told him I hoped he wouldn't take this the wrong way but I didn't want to see him again for quite a while (I'd seen him five of the previous six weeks, the one week I didn't see him he was on vacation and I was admitted to hospital).  As long as I was there he decided to give me the two vaccinations the computer had been bugging him about for the past month but I had been too sick to receive.  I proceeded to develop the worst vaccine reaction I have ever had in my entire life, it's been over a week and I still have intermittent pain and stiffness in my elbow and hand on my right side and I can't lift my right arm above shoulder height without curse words being involved. I've been having to take Advil around the clock, on a schedule. I don't even have to set an alarm: the pain wakes me up 6 hours after taking my last dose. The shoulder thing has been made even more annoying by the fact that the only form of exercise I've been approved to engage in since having surgery is swimming. I'm feeling just enough better to go a little stir crazy. Still up until yesterday I was handling things with my normal shrug and smile philosophy regarding the small stuff, or as mom would say in a bored tone  “ whoop-dee-doo”. It wasn't until yesterday afternoon that I started to get grouchy and the trigger was the same thing it always is- mom got sick. (It didn't help that the night before I'd been thinking about seeing my doctor about my shoulder and hoping the next time I saw my primary it would be as Mom's caregiver and not a patient. I know it's irrational to think I wished this illness into being but that didn't stop my Guilt ridden brain from yelling “Bad Feisty! Bad, Bad, BAD!” In response to my argument that “I was just thinking about making an appointment for her hay-fever”. I love science and logic, but when I do irrational I do it REALLY well)

So I spent yesterday afternoon beating myself up in between making phone calls to the triage nurse, making an appointment for Mom, and finding transportation to and from said appointment for myself given that today I had a new patient appointment with a urologist that had already twice been postponed due to unforecasted inclement health, and so I needed to be home by the time Medical Transportation was scheduled to pick me up.  my rational side was eventually declared the Victor in the boxing match last night, however then I started worrying that Mom symptoms were consistent with a chronic medical condition she has that has previously required hospitalization. Long story short I got almost no sleep last night, had to wake up way too early, my medication schedule was completely thrown off, plus I'm a little hormonal and that particular equation equals a bad PD day.

When I arrived at Mom's appointment, I was told our primary had called in sick, meaning that I got to explain mom's medical history to a doctor she's never seen before. While the doctor she saw today is very kind, attentive, and has an excellent bedside manner; that did make the appointment take longer than expected. Then Mom was sent for testing all of which led to the two-hour nap I was hoping to catch between appointments turning into 10 minutes sitting on my couch. At least I was able to catch a quick nap in the urologist waiting room.

While all the tests came back negative, when my mom signed the consent form, I had to remind her what her last name was (I told you I'd get back to why that power of attorney thing was a problem). While it's completely normal for a person with dementia to be more confused when ill, I always wonder and worry just a little bit that this time it won't reverse itself when she's better. This time that worry is 40 times louder than normal because in the past I could take comfort that at least my father had power of attorney but now I find out it's not a durable one.

My appointment went well it was the the 40 minute drive that was the problem. I got motion sick to the point where I was dragging a barf bag around with me at the appointment and the driver reeked of cigarette smoke setting off my asthma, but also making me think. More about that later- first I'll take a moment to put on my perspecticles.

Mom's going to be fine, as am I. I'm healing well from surgery and finally eating well, my weights finally going in the right direction. Dad will be moving here soon, meaning I will finally have a second pair of hands to help out with these situations when they come up. And the truth is I already have a third, fourth, and fifth pair of hands, a friend rearranging his schedule for today in order to help me solve my Transportation issues. I only had to make two phone calls to make that happen, and the first person wasn't home. I have the most amazing people in my life.

My new urologist is wonderful,  he takes the time to listen, has an excellent bedside Manner, and doesn't treat me like an idiot. Since I like to have a partnership with my medical team as opposed to a dictatorship I think it'll be a good fit.

And while helping mom is still one of the most rewarding things in my life, today my best news is that at least for right now I have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow.

Now back to what the driver got me thinking about-

/the following has been rated S for sad/

When I say the driver reaked smoke, I do mean reaked. I haven't encountered someone who smelled so strongly of cigarettes smoke in years.  Given he was employed by a medical transportation company that really tick me off, particularly since when I was a child a close friend died of an asthma attack. Thinking of her got me thinking of her Dad, and for the first time I finally “heard” something he'd told me repeatedly for more than a decade.

Our families were close, my mom and her dad worked together. He was a child phycologist and was treating me at the time. After her death he took a month off. At our first appointment afterwards he started the appointment same as always, by showing me a picture chart of emotions asking how I was feeling. After answering I pointed to the chart and asked “how are you feeling?” He answered that he was sad and angry but more than anything he was confused. He then said the same thing he'd tell me repeatedly for more than a decade later “thank you for asking that. You are the first person to ask me that”

Some how it only sunk in today that it took a month and a socially inept kid for some one to ask that question. It made me sad but unfortunately also makes sense: the most meaningful thing that was said to me when I was diagnosed with Chiari was “I'm sorry you have to have brain surgery” -it was said by a six-year-old. To this day when someone is hurting and I don't know what to say I think of that little girl and take my cue from her words.

And so today I take my cue from another little girl. We have a tendency to avoid discussing unpleasant realities- it's why more than half of adults don't have a living will. And while yes somebody always has it worse, here in parkie-ville we've got some hard stuff to deal with. Sometimes we forget (or at least I do) that emotions aren't good or bad, it's what we do in response that matters. That Dad has spent nearly two decades using his confusion, anger, and sadness to help other families with simlar grief. I've spent the better part of a decade using the fear and frustration I experienced prior to having brain surgery to speak up for people with neurological conditions who can't explain for themselves to their loved ones why they are acting that way. For me at least, acknowledging those feelings existed was the first step to putting them to good use.

So please take a moment to really think about it-

How are you feeling?

And once you have the answer, if you want to share, I for one and more than ready to listen

(It's the least I can do if you've read all this 😉)

10 hours ago, jb49 said:

While you are in there, do you have any idea where the simple story that I started can go and retain any sort of , well, "story line".  It takes so long to type.  If I could tell you what the story is and you typed it with your condensed and wise short phrases, it would save a lot of typing for me with all the run on sentences I write and can't seem to stop writing them and they go on so long and repeating themselves over and over and I should have a key on my keyboard that says "and" instead of hitting the three keys a n and d everytime.

After I had brain surgery I developed a one-handed keyboard of my own design. It's centered around the words THE and AND.  I did a lot of research on the most frequently occurring letter strings in the English language, ING  forms a triangle for instance and Q and U are next to each other. Using that keyboard is more like playing the piano than typing. And I'm completely with you on the typing thing JB. I have handwritten 10 manuscripts, the shortest was over 400 pages. I have a friend who keeps bugging me to publish them, but first of all they are a series and the first few have some fatal flaws, but second of all (And much more importantly!) I never would have written them if I had thought for a second I had to type them!

On 5/15/2017 at 7:33 AM, jb49 said:

Good Morning, I hope that everyone had a good weekend, a good nites sleep and has ideas for a good week .

Yesterday, my Mom came out to the Farm from the retirement Manor for Mothers day.  She is 88, needs to use her walker, but is ready to go anywheres.  I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters with spouses and kids,and some grandkids that were coming for lunch. Some of my cousins that live nearby came as well. Everyone brought salads and butter tarts, cheese cake and the usual assortment of summertime food.  I cooked some pork loin roasts for sandwiches the night before.  I still had lots to do to get ready for the 25 plus people coming for lunch when I got up Sunday morning.  Vacuuming, clean the bathrooms, get myself cleaned up, put the extra leaves in the dining table,  slice the meat and all that stuff.  I used to be able to fly through a list of those things.  A 5 minute shower use to take me only 3 minutes. I could vacuum with one hand and dust the cabinets with the other. Unload the dishwasher, and fill pickles dishes at the same time.  But not now.  I realized that dragging that unwelcome, leeching companion named Parkinson that has been riding my back for the last 10 years is causing me trouble. He is getting heavier, my back gets sore, my arms sometimes feel like lead, My feet drag across the floor like I was wading through waist high molasses. I was up at 7:00 to finish preparing, People would be arriving at high noon.  I said to myself, "Self, just relax. What gets done, gets done. It is just family, the  food will get served, Everything will be fine"  I was running the vacuuum with short pushes and pulls, one eye on the clock, and tottering around, wondering if I really took pills this morning when my Sister from next door came in.  An angel to my rescue at about 10:30.  She, I often call her St. Susie, soon had me on track to finish things needing to be done. Instead of skittering from job to job with no accomplishment. She took quick and efficient steps as she always could, and soon had the kitchen stuff organised, table set and we were ready when people started to arrive. I swear, she could organise violent rioters in the street into a Sunday School Picnic.  I think everyone had a good day, Everyone got filled up with yummy food.  There was still a dozen people stayed for supper of leftovers and a big feed of asparagus which quickly disappeared.  I even had leftover cheescake for breakfast today. 

Yesterday reinforced two things that I already knew:  One being that my parkinsons symptoms are more pronounced and stress makes them worse to the point of freezing up.  The faster I go, the slower I am.   And second, but first, I am lucky to have grown up and lived with my own family within a bigger family that has always been close and supportive of each other. 

I hope everyone has a good day today and can pull some contentment out of this trainride called Life: with its delays, detours, unmarked stations, speeding downhill runaways clinging onto tight bends, dark tunnels, high trestle bridges over vast gorges, and slowly chugging uphill tracks. But always with new views and outlooks, challenges and rewards: travelling this railroad,  knowing where you have been, wondering whats around the next bend. 

jb

I have a train analogy of my own I've been using for years: My train of thought derailed and there were no survivors... But don't worry search-and-rescue teams are on their way, maybe they'll find some emotional baggage.

I usually use the following analogy to explain to non parkies how the slowness and stiffness of PD feels- it's like I'm a stuffed animal whose skin is filled with wet sand. Normally I manage to keep my friends from seeing me unmedicated, not because I'm embarrassed but because I want to enjoy my time with them and take my medication accordingly. Since my health was so messed up this past month, many of my friends saw me unmedicated for the first time in over a year. Some of them saw me unmedicated for the first time ever. Every single one of them remarked that they had either forgotten, or had no idea, how bad things were under the meds. My reply was that since I usually just take a break when I know my meds are going to be low, I had forgotten how bad things could get as well. Sure makes me want to send greeting cards to the scientists who invented carbidopa-levodopa. Maybe the kind that play a tinny sounding tune from an itty bitty speaker; though “Wind Beneath My Wings”  would probably sound pretty awful on one of those.

JB it sounds like you have a pretty sweet relationship with your mom and the rest of your family too. I truly feel sorry for individuals who say “At least I have my health”. Journeying through life with PD on your back and loved ones beside you is a much better fate than carrying no burdens alone.

Which ties in nicely with my final thought- I meant what I said about wanting to know how everyone feels. If you need to announce something to the world, be it joyful or awful, then DO IT! This is supposed to be a safe place to get things off your chest, besides it's good for your health. You'll breathe better afterwards 😁

I at least am feeling better after all that. And to think it only took four hours of typing!

*Danger averted * cool down cycle complete * pressure returned to accepted parameters *

We will now return to our regularly scheduled “Good morning!!” related posts already in progress ~Have a wonderful day~

1 person likes this

good morning everyone,

I hope that everyone feels free to say good morning as you usually do.  I started to write a little story to flesh out my thinking that sometimes I wonder where everyone is.  My story such as it is can fill in around the daily stuff so keep it coming please, add your ideas to a chapter, do a chapter. I certainly wasn't trying to block anyone but rather trying to pull more people in. The nature of this thread is not much without all of you. 

Good morning Feisty Folder.  Does that feel better.  I must of gotten up in the night, thought I heard the teakettle starting to boil but it was you posting I think cause the steam was coming off of my computer.  

It sounds like a challenge you have with your Mom, (and Dad) but I can see your love and devotion for them shining through. I am glad that you took time to express  yourself so well.  I hope that today you have a good day.

All the best to you FF, Good days to everyone.  

1 person likes this

Found this online today (Parkinsonsdiva.org).... little past Mother's Day but...here's to the PD moms 

LAD

Never have I met a more fearless group of women than those battling PD! They are mothers, sisters, wives, doctors, artists, leaders. They give without hesitation even when they can’t walk straight due to dyskenesias. They are role models for every girl who thought they could not make a difference in the world. They show us that a lot of heart and perseverance can turn a tough situation into a self enlightening path for others to follow.

1 person likes this

On 2017-5-19 at 0:46 AM, Feisty Folder said:

Which ties in nicely with my final thought- I meant what I said about wanting to know how everyone feels. If you need to announce something to the world, be it joyful or awful, then DO IT! This is supposed to be a safe place to get things off your chest, besides it's good for your health. You'll breathe better afterwards 😁

Good morning ParkyWorld,   I trust that you all have had some yummy pills and your morning coffee and your spouse has brought you the Newspaper and they are rubbing your feet for you right now as you shake out the sports section.  Huuh? Anybody?

Hello LAD,  I will be gone for the day.  Maybe you and FF can get Marcia out of the green bottle today.

How are you today Feisty. I am quoting you, your final thought :  And I agree, I hope that everyone knows that they can come here and blow off steam like you did yesterday.  You felt better after didn't you Feisty?

I read through your long post again yesterday FF.  Lots of nuggets of gold in there.  Little Kids say what they think,  No malice, agenda, no intent or holding back, they say just what they truly think in a manner that is so refreshing. AND sometimes shocking.

good days to all.

jb

Good Morning all.. ok afternoon here in Ireland.

Weather is strange here now..sun shining for a few mins then raining, otherwise quiet my son has just finished his 4 year course at college the years are just going so quick..anyway just going to make my sherry trifle so take care folks.

Em

Good morning to all. I've had a rough time this past week because it was the three-month anniversary of my son's death, followed by what would have been his 35th birthday  Then Sunday was my first Mothers Day without him. I am getting a lot of emotional support and professional help during this time of deep grief.

Tomorrow I'm having brunch with my Parkinson's support group to celebrate.a woman's 30 years of living with PD. I haven't been able to attend on Tuesday evenings for several months. It will be good to see old friends who understand me and my disease.

I'm going to feel better soon. I have a long history of resilience.

Blessings to all!

Dianne

Filling your shoes jb... That's pressure but ff will pick up the slack for me. 

I'm going with Marcia likes the musical Wicked...ever seen it? It's the prequel to Wizard of Oz....why was she green? Google it my friends! 

FF I too am still having my challenges with my parents. Hang in there! Mom is doing well but it's a slow rehab process. We must count our blessings....she's a miracle walking!  My husband and I are realizing that We will be moving into a condo sooner rather than later. No stairs, shoveling or mowing sounds good to me! My youngest may go to college and come home for break and find out we moved.  

I hope the weekend is fun for you all.....we are going dancing tonight.  It's at a microbrewery- we do so much better with liquid courage.  Or do we just think we do better?!

until next time...dance like no one is watching!!!

LAD

Hi Dianne..I am so sorry you are going through such a tough time..as i lost my dear husband 17years ago  he was 35 when he died.

what can i say Dianne only take care  and make the best of tomorrow. thinking of you. i don't think i have to tell you as you already know that this forum is great lovely people always ready to listen, advise etc...

em

Edited by em45

17 minutes ago, Beau's Mom said:

Good morning to all. I've had a rough time this past week because it was the three-month anniversary of my son's death, followed by what would have been his 35th birthday  Then Sunday was my first Mothers Day without him. I am getting a lot of emotional support and professional help during this time of deep grief.

Tomorrow I'm having brunch with my Parkinson's support group to celebrate.a woman's 30 years of living with PD. I haven't been able to attend on Tuesday evenings for several months. It will be good to see old friends who understand me and my disease.

I'm going to feel better soon. I have a long history of resilience.

Blessings to all!

Dianne

Dianne-

I will keep you in my prayers. I hope you feel better soon. 

LAD

2 people like this

Good Morning PWP,   Good work LAD.  Look at all the postings you pulled out.  Hi Em, and Dianne,

LAD, you talked about the Wizard of Oz, and the green colouring of the Witch in "Wicked" .  I thought of that the first time I saw our Marcia with the green skin.But Marcia is not a Witch.   OMG, maybe that isn't  our Marcia, maybe that is an imposter Martian.  That would explain the green. You just hang on Marcia, we will save you. Soon!

Yesterday on a drive to Toronto,  I stopped at a service station and used the rest room.  After washing my hands I walked to one of those blower hand dryers. I stepped in to one between two other men.  The floor tiles were sorta wet from water dripping from hands and I slipped on a wet spot and fell rather quickly to the floor. I caught myself on my hands without whacking my head on the floor.  One guy helped me back up and asked if I was ok.  Yes fine I replied.  Just sort of embarrassed.  I think that my balance is not so good. And my jerky walking didn't help matters. And that pair of shoes are slippery. Perfect alignment for a FOYA.  (Fall on Your Ass).  Be careful, everyone.!!

(And upon further reflection of that incident, I am glad that I was just walking up to a hand dryer on the wall and not trying to get closer for a better view over the edge at your Grand Canyon.)

Em,, you and your Son have a very strong bond and relationship.  He is a real blessing to you I think.  

Dianne, I think of you often and the ache you must have for the loss of your son.  Mothers day must amplify all these emotions.

And I know that we people with Parkinsons have a steady supply of emotions.

Good days to everyone,. jb

ps Em, tell me more about that Sherry Trifle sometime please.   

1 person likes this

Hi there Jb and everyone..

Thank you jb yes communication is good between me and Seán so lucky i have him...as for the trifle here goes

Sherry trifle

The original trifle is with cream, jelly, fruit cocktail, sherry and sponge cake

Then there’s the cream sherry trifle (my recipe) this is replacing the jelly with custard

However as at one point oh dear ran out of sherry so used baileys instead and mmm not bad and raspberries instead of fruit cocktail...

Start off with some sponge in a bowl, pour some liqueur over then fruit, custard, cream just layer it up until bowl is topped with cream.. enjoy your day folks              

em

Elphaba is awesome and has some of the best quotes!! 

I felt the need to post one😀

34800763795_ed43cd535a_b.jpg

2 people like this

LOL, jb!  I'm glad you weren't overlooking the Grand Canyon, too, when you fell.   :-)

Don't be too concerned if there are lulls in this great thread, jb.  It just sometimes happens--especially approaching and through weekends.  I found the same thing with the thread I had.  I wonder if some of it right now may be because of the dark pall that has enveloped our country because of the chaos in our government.  I think it affects us all--some perhaps not even realizing that it is affecting them.  It's a terrible situation and one that should have been stopped way before this.  Polilticos and lawyers and others are working hard on finding something that this president can be charged with to either rein him in or to give him an ultimatum to respect the laws and constitution of this country as well as the people who serve him.  (I greatly revised this sentence, omitting my vitriol...)  :-)

I hope you and the other readers here won't mind if I share something in relation to this.  One reason I had the thread I did was because so many in this day and time don't have a clue as to who God is and how so many things that are happening were prophesied as far back as the Old Testament days. There is much evidence to validate the things recorded in the Bible which I hope to share at some point in a thread. For now what I want to share is that I can vouch for how the Lord offers and provides strength to those who turn to Him.  He never promised we would not go through difficult things, but He promised always to be with those who have turned to Him as they go through those things.  He can turn despair into acceptance and strength and the assurance that whatever happens, we will eventually be with Him for eternity.  And while we're going through things like the unsettling chaos we're currently experiencing and that's making everything seem so out of control, He will in the end triumph over all.

I realize that in this Post-Christian time in our country, many feel that the Bible and its contents are just a myth.  Many have not been exposed to it and misunderstand so much about the Lord because of that.  Many feel He stands over them in judgment rather than realizing He is a deeply loving God who gave His life for them,.  He told us, "Greater love hath no man than to give his life for a friend."   He desires that all come to Him and provides the grace and strength for each person to do that if they call on Him.  He told us to seek Him with all our heart, and we will find Him.

Thanks, jb, for the opportunity to include what I have.  And as I said, at some point in the next months I hope to be able to start another thread on this subject which will provide a specific place to share and discuss these things (i.e., I want to assure you that I realize this is not the thread for ongoing discussion of it).  

Edited by Linda Garren

Good afternoon!

Jb, must be the season for falls. I started a new BP med, took my first dose, went for coffee and to read the paper. Started feeling hot, then nauseous, on my way to splash my face with cold water, lights out for me. The next thing l remember is sitting in a chair with a cold compress being offered to me. The EMT crew said clearly the BP med was suspect, off to the ER l go. In my confusion and general being just out of it l gave the car keys to a dear friend to drive hubby safely home. Couldn't use the phone to get family to hubby so l tried to relax.

CT scan later, nothing broken and talk about relief! l was feeling better by the time family arrived at the ER, then l learned hubby had insisted that HE drive home after l left. My friend followed him home, now he swears he can drive again after not driving since his fall and PD diagnosis. He has vascular dementia with Parkinsonism and should never drive. On a good note, when he got home he used his cell phone and called family, so his being able to do that was amazing. 

I have no idea what l will do if another event occurs like this. Perhaps the doctor needs to tell him never to drive and he would listen to that authority.

Fiesty, what a time you have had! 

A lot to read with this post so off l go for more heating pad time on very sore and bruised hips!

God bless you ER posters! I almost fainted just reading about the ER!

soooo I started this PD specific exercise program with a friend who is a personal trainer in my area. I am speaking at a networking breakfast tomorrow. I'm going to try not to faint but I'm terrified. Lol

LAD

Edited by LAD
1 person likes this

I read thru the posts, evaluating different approaches to PD.  Most  of the time, I seriously read the posts, and sometimes I read with elevated concern.  It is such a joy to stumble on a post that makes me smile and elevates my mood.  LAD's posts have made me smile more than once. Thanks LAD..

2 people like this

Thanks Manolo ... I owe it all to Mr. Roger's neighborhood ....haha...he was a wise man! It's the 50th anniversary! 

34044882483_523868bba3_b.jpg

Edited by LAD
3 people like this

I love that quote Lad!  So true, there are always helpers, reminds us we don't have to carry everything on our shoulders alone.  I believe we are all put on this earth to help one another, we are not living just for ourselves.  We are all "instruments" for each other.  We must "allow" people to help us, not only do we receive the gift of help, but it allows the person helping us to receive the gift of giving.

1 person likes this

Another awesome quote, LAD!  I loved Mr. Rogers.  He taught me how to tie a shoe.  He was the eptiome of goodness.

Ellaangel,

I agree with you that we're meant to help each other.   

1 person likes this