helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
jb49

Good morning!!

MarciaJ    267

I have a SIL who is mentally challenged. If you ask her how old her brother is she gives the proper age. (Remember I had nothing to do with this). But if you ask her how old I am she answers, "29." No matter how old I am, still 29. I told a friend once if we only correspond and never see each other we will be eternally young. I've not seen movie stars for years and than you see them and believe me, they aged. I had a friend who is a retired ER nurse. She can spot a face lift at twenty yards. I just made the twenty yards up. 

• Like 1

Peace    160

Love that iceberg picture.  It's an excellent way to show people what PD can consist of as opposed to trying to explain it.

Dianne-Did you get your tube replaced?  I'm glad that you are so good at looking out for yourself.  It concerns me the number of people who still totally trust the doctors and don't question things.

jb:  So you want to know how a 17 year old boys mind works?????  What a question.  My personal experience reveals that sometimes they DONT work. B)  Boys are so much fun.   Em and LAD it sounds like you both have wonderful sons.

Hi Marcia, LInda, pathfinder and miracleseeker.    TexasTom  I like the picture of your dogs taking the nap.  My little dog is my nap partner also.

Be strong and carry on everyone.

• Like 1

Pathfinder    65

Evening everyone!

My little garden is steadily producing ? and zucchini. My herb pots make the best pasta sauces and bruschetta, everything tastes so delicious. Hope your gardens are doing well!

My hubby is back in PT for his increasing lower back pain, it is helping him a lot! His OMT doc has said this pain is PD related.

Have an awesome evening everyone!

• Like 1

Linda Garren    752

Hi, Pathfinder.  Always nice to see your cheery posts and hear how you are enjoying the season.  And mmmmmmm.....yum!  Nice Italian dishes made special from your herb pots.

And so glad to hear that PT is helping your DH!

• Like 1

She-Ra    63

At my bi-annual visit with my MDS. We drive from North of Atlanta to Birmingham twice a year.  With an 8am spot it makes for a long day. 

Hope all of you are well. I am just under one year from retiring. I have mixed emotions about it. I will miss my coworkers but looking forward to having the free time and living full time in the "mountains" in North Georgia 

We will be up there to watch the Solar eclipse Aug 21   Locals are expecting lots of people coming to watch   Very strange  

Have a great day!

Edited by She-Ra

Beau's Mom    1,060

Lovely to hear from you, She-Ra. I hope you had a good checkup.

Enjoy your retirement to the max!

Dianne

jb49    655

Good morning everyone, yikes where did that week go.  Hi Shera, have a good weekend everybody.  The hay goes in the barn today.  Peace, you coming over to help.?  lol

em45    14

Hello there folks..hope all is well with you guys..

Weather here in Ireland not so bad could be better. no news really apart from the fact that i got stung from a wasp yesterday on the finger and there's a lot to be said for vinegar as we were sitting at the local  cafe enjoying a cuppa when it happened and our chef came out straight away and poured vinegar on my finger and worked straight away i never believed it until now . anyway just about to make my trifle so take care..

Em

Peace    160
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:02 AM, jb49 said:

Good morning everyone, yikes where did that week go.  Hi Shera, have a good weekend everybody.  The hay goes in the barn today.  Peace, you coming over to help.?  lol

Darn it!  I just saw your message and I soooooooo wanted to help.

Beau's Mom    1,060

Good morning to us all! Starting tomorrow, Seattle will be gripped in a tropical heat wave until Friday. Most here have no air conditioning. My apartment faces south but I have a portable unit that cools me off quite well. 

The three doctors involved in my G-J tube for my Duopa (Gastroenterologist/Interventional Radiologist/MDS are still not listening to me or talking to each other. I may have to go to Spokane to get things done right. At any rate, two of the three will be on vacation the first two weeks of August, so I will accept things as they are for now.

Stay cool, Y'all. 8)

Dianne

LAD    216

So, I met someone this weekend and she asked how my husband & I started dance lessons. I told her I had YOPD. I want you all to know that I do not have PD because I am too young and it's for old people---she said so!? I responded "yes but here I am!"   You can only laugh in such crazy conversations!  Which I did so I probably looked crazy! 

Have a good day all!!

LAD

• Haha 1

Pathfinder    65

Mowed our huge lawn today. I took my time, really pleasant weather too. I haven't mowed in twenty years, our SIL does the lawn but they are on vacation. Nice to know that I could manage it!

Have a relaxing night, I'm watching The UnaBomber on Discovery tonight!

• Thanks 1

Linda Garren    752

Hey, jb!  Did you happen to see this?  :-)

Secret to a long life? Porridge at 7am... and 10pm: Siblings who have lived for a total of 1,073 years reveal trick of their record-breaking longevity

• The Donnelly family from County Armagh, Northern Ireland broke world record
  • Stunned medics by setting a new Guinness World Record for longevity this year
  • The family say porridge in bed is the secret to their incredible good health

By Claire Duffin For The Daily Mail

Published: 20:51 EDT, 30 July 2017 | Updated: 20:55 EDT, 30 July 2017

The world's oldest family has revealed the diet fueling their longevity.

Forget eating exotic fruits or drinking water from coconuts... Porridge in bed is the secret to the Donnelly's record-breaking good health.

'We've always followed Daddy's habit of that nice warm bite before sleep,' says Joe Donnelly, the 72-year-old youngster of the clan.

'Porridge at around 10pm, then again for breakfast at 7am. Cooked oats, milk, a spot of apple jam on top.'

Porridge in bed is the secret to the Donnelly's record-breaking good health

Porridge in bed is the secret to the Donnelly's record-breaking good health

The Donnellys: 13 of the sixteen Donnelly children are still alive: Kathleen 74, Seamus 79 , Terry 80, Rose 84, Tony 82, Sean 92, Mariread 85, Leo 70, Eileen 89, Maureen 91, Peter 86

The Donnellys: 13 of the sixteen Donnelly children are still alive: Kathleen 74, Seamus 79 , Terry 80, Rose 84, Tony 82, Sean 92, Mariread 85, Leo 70, Eileen 89, Maureen 91, Peter 86

The family stunned medical experts by setting a new Guinness World Record for longevity this year.

Porridge has been shown to lower blood pressure, diabetes risk, cholesterol and to protect against heart disease.

A total of 1073 years has been notched up between the 13 Donnelly siblings.

RELATED ARTICLES

jb49    655

Good morning Everyone,

Linda, one surely could not argue  against the magical goodness of Oatmeal.  Especially when it gets backed up with a family who have had so many years of collective good health.   Oh, My.. what ages they  have attained.  That is a family of very good genes!!  Thanks for pointing this story.

Pathfinder.... , sounds l you faceda challenge.  "Can I cut this big lawn"  And you did it.    Then without warning,   jb broke into song,   "She fought the Lawn, and She won ,    She cut the Lawn, She Won.  "     When  the SIL gets back from holiday and sees the great job  you did  PFer,  you may have a permanent job.

HI Lorit 2 dozen and nine,  Welcome to the club. Always glad to see new posters.  And you even understand LAD's post.  Hope to hear more from you.

LAD,  It is  so nice that you can enjoy dancing with your husband. and you don't have PD cause you are just gosh darn busy to be bothered with that crap.  And too young.  Keep up the good work Kid!

Hi Dianne,  you may have to get some tubing, some good mirrors and look after the machinery yourself.  I hope that your pump is working okay for you.  Try to stay cumcumber cool for the heat wave. That is likely the same heat wave that is pushing into BC.  What a bad fire we have going up there.  Hang in there Dianne.!

Okay Peace, I will schedule you in as a helper for next summer; cause I sooooo want you to help. It is sorta a fun day despite the heat, dust and heavy lifting.  It quickly becomes a community event and as the barB Que fires up at the end of the day;  potato salad, tuna salads materialize and a cooler of nice cold beer tops off a good day. 

And Emma, I have never heard of that fix for wasp bites before either.  I hope that trifle turned out nice for you.  Have a good day Em !

Well, that took forever to type.  But it is an effort that I am willing to make to stay in contact with all you nice people.  

The sun is shining here, the birds are singing, the dog wants breakfast, the sink is full of dishes, the grass needs cutting (Hey, Ms. PF, now that you cut grass again, you want to come for Tea?).  The garden could be weeded again and I should visit my Mom at the Retirement Home and I need to make some muffins and some cookies.  And it is a good drying day and I am getting low on socks and und...., well other stuff, he said with a reddening blush.  My Grandma  used to say that if she didn't attempt to do more than she possibly could, she never would accomplish all she possibly can.

It takes me awhile to get going in the morning.  It is like firing up a factory in the morning and employees straggle in late: bit by bit.  With tight legs and shaky balance i get pills and make coffee.  Turn on the news and watch that through slitted eyelids.   Finally my hands start to loosen, rigidity relaxes, brain spits and sputters and starts to unravel things,  the cramped foot eases off as it realizes I'm going to walk on it anyways, porridge converts to energy and levodopa ignites the lines of communication to 'All Body Parts".   GET TO YOUR WORK, DO WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO.  The factory is running for another day as dyskinesias have me twisting on my chair. 

I may just LAD it for the rest of the week.  That would be, I'm not old enough for PD and besides, I got too much to get done.  Yes, that is the ticket!!  I will be LADDING the rest of the week.

Good days to everybody.

jb

Edited by jb49
cause even though the computer thought I was done, and maybe I should of gone with its judgment, I wasn't finished .
  • Like 2

MarciaJ    267

I remember before there were wheels... on trash cans that is.

I remember when newborns were supposed to lay on their tummies per expert people... now they say newborns should lie on their backs.

I remember when autos needed gasoline to run...now there are electric autos. 

I remember when sugar was bad for you...now there is Fructose Corn Syrup. 

I remember when I could remember everything...except in job interviews.

I remember when everybody was smarter than me...they still are.

I've still got a lot to learn. But I've got all of you to help me...Thanks. I don't say it enough.

• Like 1

Pathfinder    65

Hey jb!

Love your song! Hubby supervised like the good ex Government employee he was!:D He would have loved to mow if he could.

PT continues to help him, he is working with an excellent team, they really push him but he needs it or they wouldn't push. I can tell the biggest difference in his pain and posture.

Heading out for a very stressful task, car shopping!

LAD    216
4 hours ago, jb49 said:

I may just LAD it for the rest of the week.  That would be, I'm not old enough for PD and besides, I got too much to get done.  Yes, that is the ticket!!  I will be LADDING the rest of the week.

Love that!  I'm glad I could be of assistance in your day's work.  I posted my enounter on my FB page and found a great opportunity to educate the non PD aware world.  Jimmy Choi - the American NInja Warrior with PD posted that he was on a plane and someone asked if his PD was contagious.  He said "no" but the lady moved anyway.  So, there you go...a great way to get more room on a plane....crazy isn't it?

good day to all....keep LADDING:)

LAD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Linda Garren    752
On 7/31/2017 at 1:46 PM, Beau's Mom said:

Good morning to us all! Starting tomorrow, Seattle will be gripped in a tropical heat wave until Friday. Most here have no air conditioning. My apartment faces south but I have a portable unit that cools me off quite well. 

The three doctors involved in my G-J tube for my Duopa (Gastroenterologist/Interventional Radiologist/MDS are still not listening to me or talking to each other. I may have to go to Spokane to get things done right. At any rate, two of the three will be on vacation the first two weeks of August, so I will accept things as they are for now.

Stay cool, Y'all. 8)

Diann f

Dianne, we've been in the same kind of weather.  Awful.  Am glad you have a portable a/c unit! 

Am praying for you about getting to Spokane to get some help.  How far away from you is that?

LAD    216
On 7/26/2017 at 3:46 PM, Peace said:

jb:  So you want to know how a 17 year old boys mind works?????  What a question.  My personal experience reveals that sometimes they DONT work. B)  Boys are so much fun.   Em and LAD it sounds like you both have wonderful sons.

My sons & my hubby are the reason I fight so hard! There's nothing better than hearing "love you mom" from your grown up boys!! One good thing PD had done is brought us all closer. 

Happy almost Friday!!

LAD

just saw this....yes...I posted it in two places ...sorry that's upsetting to some ?

35525818954_2e303089ed_z.jpg

Edited by LAD
  • Thanks 2

Beau's Mom    1,060

Linda, Spokane is all the way on the far eastern side of Washington. It takes almost 5 hours to get there.

I saw my gastroenterologist yesterday. He disagreed with the Interventional Radiologist's assessment that the tube was fine and the problem was my stomach. I showed him pictures of the tube that has been used successfully in Spokane. The connector on my tube came apart while I was in his office. He said, "You want me to go beat up Dr. Parikh? I'm older but I could probably take him." Finally, when he sensed that I was not amused, he said he would send a note to Dr. Parikh. If Dr. Parikh won't use the Spokane tubing, I will get the original Abbvie tubing that was removed when I developed ulcers last winter. He said it wouldn't happen until sometime in September. It will happen. That's the good news.

Dianne

• Like 1

Linda Garren    752

Well, it's hard to realize that September is almost right around the corner.  I hope this month goes by fast for you.

We all love you and are pulling for you, DIanne. 

Am praying for you right now, as I'm sure many others are also doing, and the Lord continues to watch over you with love every second of every day.

Linda

• Like 1

LAD    216

ok ...since you all know about my sons...my youngest is into theater- this is him and the cast doing a flash mob performance...my son is in the front singing solo ? Feel free to skip this - it's just something fun

• Like 1