helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
jb49

Good morning!!

I actually have something worthwhile to tell you all. My DH does not have PD but does have trouble sleeping. We bought a new mattress cause we thought that was the problem. The new mattress came with an eye mask. He started wearing it at night and so far (at least the last two nights) he didn't have any trouble going to sleep and staying asleep. I'm hopping up and down. It wasn't the mattress, it was the light. !!!!!!

This reminds me of the scene in the movie Blues Brothers where they say, "The band. the band.!" And do all those flips up the the front of the church and back. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Hello Marcia, and all the good morning PP and everyone else,

I'm glad that your hubby is sleeping well Marcia. I think I need a new mattress but maybe I need only a blindfold.  

Dianne, I hope that you are getting looked after. I hug you, you need a good break., 

Em, good morning, and Ellangel, LAD and Linda and everyone,  good day eh? to you'all.

Life has been busy, I remain a half step and a parky hop ahead of the big steam roller called Life.

Take care all of you good people!

jb

Love your attitude, jb.  And also fitting the Canadian"eh?" in the same sentence with the Southern U.S. States' "ya'all."   :-)

Are you still getting help with all that has to be done on your farm?  We don't want to hear that steam roller caught up with you.  :-0

13 hours ago, jb49 said:

Hello Marcia, and all the good morning PP and everyone else,

I'm glad that your hubby is sleeping well Marcia. I think I need a new mattress but maybe I need only a blindfold.  

Dianne, I hope that you are getting looked after. I hug you, you need a good break., 

Em, good morning, and Ellangel, LAD and Linda and everyone,  good day eh? to you'all.

Life has been busy, I remain a half step and a parky hop ahead of the big steam roller called Life.

Take care all of you good people!

jb

Good to hear you are a step ahead! My hubby and I went out dancing on Saturday and we were the only ones on the floor - there were cheers for us....after that the rest of the patrons joined in...we got the party started!!! 

Keep dancing y''all!!

lad

Edited by LAD

Lad,  I used to love dancing like at weddings and such. I never was a good dancer but I had fun!  This story is the highlight of my dancing career.  We were on a cruise ship, in one of the lounges one evening.  We were travelling with my sister and her husband and 20 other friends on the Carribbean.  I forget the song the band was playing but it was perfect for dancing in what we always called a ``Bongo Line``.   You know, you form a train of people with hands on the waist of the one ahead of you and you follow with a shimmy and a shake and the leader takes you around the room. My sister urged me to get it going and I had enough liquid courage in my system that I didn`t need much persuading.  I soon had our group all attached and circulating the smallish dance floor and quickly all the other people dancing joined in. As the Wallflowers left their chairs and joined in, I was running out of room to maneuver. So I lead that connected train of fun loving fellow cruisers out a side door of the lounge, around a short  hallway and back in the open door on the other side. As I lead the front of that dancing snake back into the room through the second door,  the tail of the train was still going out the first door.  The line all got back into the room, and the song finally ended.  We had  done the `Locomotion``  in style and it is a pârt of a good memory for me.

Have a great day everybody

jb

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I realized yesterday I never mentioned Houston.  OMG. I can not even imagine how that city will wring itself out and get back to functioning. It isn`t ``Houston, we have a problem``, but rather ``Houston here.  we have a problem!``  That city is going to need lots of support and generosity.   The view of a Nursing home with a roomfull of ladies in their wheelchairs with water rising to their waists is stuck in my mind.  What a fight for survival by people of all ages, race, politics and economic standing is taking place. There were thousands of people rising to the occasion to help one another.  Humanity and Love for fellow citizens is alive and well in Texas.  Canada hopes that you soon get back on your feet Houston.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, jb49 said:

Lad,  I used to love dancing like at weddings and such. I never was a good dancer but I had fun!  This story is the highlight of my dancing career.  We were on a cruise ship, in one of the lounges one evening.  We were travelling with my sister and her husband and 20 other friends on the Carribbean.  I forget the song the band was playing but it was perfect for dancing in what we always called a ``Bongo Line``.   You know, you form a train of people with hands on the waist of the one ahead of you and you follow with a shimmy and a shake and the leader takes you around the room. My sister urged me to get it going and I had enough liquid courage in my system that I didn`t need much persuading.  I soon had our group all attached and circulating the smallish dance floor and quickly all the other people dancing joined in. As the Wallflowers left their chairs and joined in, I was running out of room to maneuver. So I lead that connected train of fun loving fellow cruisers out a side door of the lounge, around a short  hallway and back in the open door on the other side. As I lead the front of that dancing snake back into the room through the second door,  the tail of the train was still going out the first door.  The line all got back into the room, and the song finally ended.  We had  done the `Locomotion``  in style and it is a pârt of a good memory for me.

Have a great day everybody

jb

Great story! Keep dancing ...a little bit slower maybe but do it anyway!

LAD

Hi LAd and everyone else.  Good morning Houston.  

Everything is a little bit slower now LAD.

Hey Dianne,  How are things going?

Em, El, Tom? Linda... Hope everyone is fine today.

Its the weekend tonite!  Be safe.

jb

Good Morning Everyone

Foe those having a long weekend be safe if you are driving along with everyone else.

Enjoy it

Bard

Edited by bard
didnt put right name in

jb, that was such a good story about the Conga/Bongo.  Who cares what it's called?!  It must have been the highlight of everyone's time on that trip!  Would've been great to have had a video of it, wouldn't it .:lol:  I surely remember doing it years ago.  Always so much fun.  I keep thinking about the beginning of your line back at the start as the end of the line was still coming out the door of the start.

Greetings all! My anxiety is coming out in full force since a family trip is The trip is well planned and we will all be together so  It's a completely irrational response to the situation. I know it but I can't stop it....my symptoms are much worse and it is making me so mad!! Well, I will fight through it because I'm going to travel now and enjoy my family-PD won't win this one. I will be symptomatic but I will keep going! 

Keep enjoying the weekend!

LAD

LAD, since a decrease in my Duopa rate a month or more ago, my startle response has been worse. I discussed it last Monday with my Rehab Psychologist at the Parkinson's Center. She said PD creates its own anxiety even if I'm not thinking anxious thoughts. I'm seeing my MDS on Tuesday to have the rate increased on the Duopa pump. I'm hoping that will take care of the increased dystonia as well. Perhaps a slight increase in your meds during times of stress would help. 

For jb and any who have wondered how I'm doing, I have seen the Interventional Radiologist about problems with the tubing for my Duopa pump. Tuesday I will discuss options with my MDS, then next week I will see the gastroenterologist who placed the original tubing. I will also consult with a surgeon about the possibility of a surgically implanted J-tube which will avoid my tender stomach altogether. Even with all the difficulties I've had with ulcers and the tubing, I prefer Duopa to Sinemet.

I went to church this morning, which felt wonderful! My caregivers have been in flux and things are finally smoothing out there. Life is good. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not an oncoming train.:)

Dianne

• Like 2

Good morning everyone,

Back to school tomorrow morning for Canadian kids.  I remember those days.  You were finally allowed to wear the new shirts and jeans, completed by new desert boots. You carried the new 3 ring binder with fresh vows to keep it tidy this year and use reinforcements on the 3 holed pages.  Remember those sticky little O's that tasted awful when you licked them to stick.  

Yep, back to school days, congo bongo lines, catching a big musky, my family, ..the highlite reel is good to me, simple, but good. 

LAD, nothing like travel and change of routine to ramp up my symptoms.  You will be fine, but don't let the world rush you, don't try to be perfect,  don't forget your medicine, take time out s for yourself.   Eat on time, drink water, and ask for help as you need it.  Keep yourself happy, cause you deserve it, everything else will fall in place.

Linda, I am happy that you liked the congo dance line picture in my mind.

Dianne, I'm glad to hear from you. I hope that you get your tube in place and working.  I know that you like that  system of duodopa medication when it works.  I don't know what flux your caregivers are in, but I suspect your interaction with them is beneficial to their well being as well as yours.  I chuckle at your words about the train light in the tunnel approaching.  Often I worry about that light, but with your calming words I will relax.  Perhaps it is only the Tweety Bird from the cartoons wearing a miners light on his helmet approaching.

The wind is blowing cold today here, time for apple pies Ms. Path Finder?

Be safe everyone..jb

• Like 1

Hey everyone!! 

No apple pies JB, right now it's pumpin everything!! Chai lattes, pumpkin coffee creamer, ready for these cooler temps here.

Hubby is having an awful time with Gasteoparesis lately, the same as before. We have our Nuero appointment tomorrow, my list of things to discuss has been prepared. He is sleeping the day away most of the time, but I am not sure which condition is responsible for the change is sleeping patterns.  The doctor spends as much time as we need, doesn't rush us out of there.

Enjoy your day everyone!

Thank you all! Has anyone ever used the medical form on TSA website? I'm hoping I won't have to take off my shoes. I get nervous when I'm not going fast enough for everyone around me.... guess I'll just do my thing and All my boys will take care of good ol mom? My meds will be strapped across me in my bag!! They don't leave my sight!

pathfinder- hope your DH gets to feeling better soon! 

LAD

Lad, TSA is pretty good. Most recent flight I was slow and awkward but I just told them I had PD and they were very nice. In the X-ray thing I couldn't lift my arms high enough but after I explained, he backed off. I can't hide my symptoms anymore so I just tell folks and they are always kind and tolerant. Have a wonderful trip. Twitch

• Thanks 1

On September 4, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Twitchy mama said:

Lad, TSA is pretty good. Most recent flight I was slow and awkward but I just told them I had PD and they were very nice. In the X-ray thing I couldn't lift my arms high enough but after I explained, he backed off. I can't hide my symptoms anymore so I just tell folks and they are always kind and tolerant. Have a wonderful trip. Twitch

Thanks! Nice to know there are kind & tolerant TSA agents! They have a tough job. 

LAD

Edited by LAD

Good Morning Everyone.

Sunshine it out and I've had my morning espresso. It will be a wonderful day.

Sold my truck and was missing the morning routine of Mr. Cardinal battling his nemesis, but thankfully my son's Volvo has a nice ledge for Mr Cardinal to contiue with his battles. Great Entertainment.

We've had fosters come and go, so wasn't too excited about the latest "problem child" to show up at house. Often we get special needs Golden's who need lots of TLC and training to learn how to be a dog. NO collar, no microchip, and pretty much had lived on the street and scared to even get in a car or into a home. So latest had stayed with the first family for two months but failed at training, went after cats, and a list of little transgressions. We were asked "could you please consider fostering her for a while". Hmmm. At least I wouldn't have do to tick duty. Someone else pitched in for that one; my last foster had 100 ticks on her small body - I can remove them, but takes a long time for both the dog and the person.

Since she had a medical clearance, and our resident doggies are all up to date on vaccines, she came into the house and was behind a 36" baby gate to allow nose sniffing. Well first morning she was "I want to join the big dogs" and jumped the gate! I turned around to give them treats, and she tried cutting the line, but the rest of them gave a soft growl (que clint eastwood dog voice) with "mind your manners, and get in line" My wife snapped the photo as she was speechless.

Foster - Leia (smallest); Emily (my redhead Service Dog); Sandy (age 12); Bob (unknown age maybe 14 to 16 years old -- doesn't like kids on his lawn!)

Rph9kwc.jpg

Oh foster is "Natalie" but when tired I have a hard time with NAT as both N and T need fast movement. Ally worked; but settled on "leia"  as lay-a is pretty soft. Each is address one by one to come in the back door, food, etc. Hence names I can say, and they understand.  I suspect we will be a "foster fail" by end of the week as she will have us as her new furever home. Oh, cats... not prey instinct, but she is part border collie. She want to herd cats, neighborhood rabbits, deer, etc. She needs work to and lots of energy. I suspect this is why they wanted her placed with me as I've had Bordie Collie mix in the past.

• Like 1

My wife, recovering from rotator cuff surgery.

yY1ckKW.jpg

Me with the little one. Not pile of "fluff" as evening routine is each dog stops next to my chair to be brushed in the evening. Thankfully eye drops and "pencil pushups" have let me resume reading once again. Lastest book (written from 1963) Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle: Dervla Murphy

42TUVNo.jpg

• Like 2

Wonderful photos, Mr. and Mrs. Tex!  I can see how your new doggie would easily become a failed foster. She's just adorable, and such a lap dog.  It's very apparent how much she loves each of you.  She reminds me of a fawn in some of the pictures.  Looks so sweet, like Bambi.

Maybe she has some kind of shepherd in her as to her liking to round up the cats and other things?

How are you doing, Tom?  And how is your wife's recovery coming along? 

Edited by Linda Garren

Actually, it is your blond lab?/Golden? that I was looking at that looks like Bambi.  :-)

And I just saw where you said Leia is part Border collie.  Do you have a big yard/property that she can run around?

Edited by Linda Garren

Good morning everyone.

Trying to hurry and I lost my post.  Redos are always shorter.

Nice to see you Tom.  What a lovely dog quartet you have.  Your wife snapped a great Picture.

We have a little rescue dog.  We don`t know much about it but wherever it came from, they must of chased it with brooms and such.  If you go near him with a vacuum cleaner, or dust mop; anything like that , he will run and hide.

Hope Houston is drying out, and Florida people..hang onto your hats!

Be safe everyone. 

jb

• Like 1

Aww Tom, just love the pictures, the dogs are just beautiful, inside and out.  That precious little foster will be hard to part with.  Such a sweetie.  Can't believe the age of the one that maybe 14 or so, looks great for his age.  Animals are the best, nothing like them to soothe the soul.

Jb - Glad to hear you have a little rescue dog, it's the way to go in my opinion, not a fan of keeping breeders in business, too many dogs needing homes.

My little rescue, Ella  (cat) is soaking up some sun and enjoying a nice relaxing day!   While I am catering to her every need.......wouldn't have it any other way.........animals deserve the best we can give them.....so pure at heart.

Edited by ellaangel2
  • Like 1

Nice, nice post, Ellaangel, as always.

I think that little rescue dog of yours, jb, must be so grateful to be in a loving, safe home, with laps to sit on, even.  It's so very sad for the animals who are abused, and every bit as much is it sad for the people who can do that to an animal.  What does your dog look like, and what is his/her name?

How are you doing, by the way?

• Like 1

Thank You everyone.

This little one will be a  "Foster-fail" fail is a good thing was we will become her furever home! We've had other fosters and loved them, but Bob (our oldest Golden) never accepted anyone else after Emily (the redhead) came to live with us. With Leia, it was like they glanced at each other and he had this acceptance of "where have you been?" Hard to explain that look or feeling.

It is so funny to see her interact with the other dogs. She observes, and falls right in line with the rest of the pack. Only time she is in a crate is when we leave the house (short errands) or a night to keep her from getting into mischief. She has figured out the "dog toy basket" is community toys, as they are shared but we keep a dozen in there. So she goes over and digs one out, to carry around.

My wife hopes tomorrow is the day she gets to remove the arm sling. It's been six weeks, but may need it two more weeks. We make a fine pair, I have a hard time slicing bread. So I held the bread while she sliced with her good hand. Fun times!

• Like 1