helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
jb49

Good morning!!

LAD, your son is very brave. You have to admire his spunk. 

Dianne, talking about purple, I had to laugh. We bought a Purple Mattress. 

jb, it sounds like you weren't injured. Glad for that. It sounds like a lot of people ram from the back. Not paying attention. 

I better get going. There is cat fur building up in corners. The vet said to  put them on a diet but they don't agree. They want full dishes. I can't take the controversy. So hubby might have to take them without me. These cats want to be fat. My hubby suggested I paint cat food image on the bottom of the food dishes.  They would think it was a never ending food supply. Until they really did eat all the food. We'd be in trouble than.

Good health to all.

• Thanks 1

no one was hurt at all.  He must of been almost stopped. I usually check my mirror before I stop.  Oh, I did, no one there.  I remember that now.  There was a bit of a hill that he would of been behind.   I sat there for the full cycle of red light.  During that time he would of come into view in my mirror and eventually roll into my back bumper.  But what difference would it of made any ways.  ..?  

LAD, kids are very savvy and resourceful.  Just think about having fun!

Avoiding the hurricanes Linda?

Good days to all.  jb

Hi, jb.  I'm sorry I'm just getting back to your same question earlier about how it is on the East Coast...  Thanks for asking.  Our skies these days have a hurricane look to them.  It's different than any other weather-related look. Often, in a storm for instance, there will be clouds, but there will be bright blue sky above or below the clouds eventually.  Or the whole sky will be dark.  But the hurricane sky is a strange mixture of clouds that are different.  It's hard to explain.  We have not yet had much as to any effects from the hurricanes, but that can change from moment to moment I'm finding as I watch the forecasts.  It's been such a terrible happening for the Caribbean islands.  And just continues...  Such awful devastation.

Glad you were not hurt in that accident, jb.  I know how awful the driver must have felt to have caused it.  I did the same thing one time on my way to work one day.  I was very distracted and didn't see in time that the cars in front of me had stopped.  I woke up the people in those five cars, but we were all so stunned that we couldn't process what happened for literally a few minutes.  And needless to say, I felt terrible.

What an adventure you get to go on to get to the hospital!  I would get totally confused if I had to do that alone.  And just think:  You get to do this again!  And again..... LOL!  It's so good that they are so thorough in checking people out prior to the surgery.  Glad you are in good hands.  Are you holding up okay in these months you have to await surgery?  Are you able to still do all that your homestead requires of you?  You can be looking forward to knowing the hay has been harvested and stored so that you can relax in front of your wood stove post surgery without that chore facing you.  It also sounds like you and your grandson and his friend did a good job of helping with the other things that needed to be done (after you rounded them up from the pool!).  LOL!  I still laugh about how they ate their dinner as they routed through the refrigerator looking for what to fix for dinner!  Kids are so much fun to have around, aren't they.

Take care, and please keep on keeping on with letting us know all that is happening up there on the farm.  :-)

Linda

P.S.  I love the maple cookies from Canada that we can get at our grocery stores down here.  Just delicious!  I also get a very large jar of dark organic maple syrup at Mom's Orgainic Market down this way that reminds me of Canada.  I use it in so may things.  I've read it's a great antioxidant, so that gives me a good excuse to use so much of it.  :-)

Edited by Linda Garren

Hi, Tex.  Glad to hear Mrs. Tex is keeping close watch on you.  Has she been able to do some volunteering like you suggested?  It's obvious how much she loves and cares for you, so it may be hard for her to get out and do other things.  Understandable too that she would love for you two to go on a vacation and worry about the debt later, although I can surely understand your concern about debt.  Seems that those of us who have medical issues either get the help we need OR have a bank account with some money in it to do some fun things, but often not both. :-)  Maybe there could be some sort of compromise, like a vacation someplace nice but not too far away, and where you can take your dogs.  Sometimes just a change in some way can be so restful, enjoyable, and memorable.

Am so sorry about your coastal friends' aviation-themed hotel having to be gutted due to Irma.  What sorts of things are you thinking of creating with your wood-working skills?

How did your husky/retriever mix do as to the t-shirt she/he ate?!?!?!  LOL!  Animals do the strangest things.  One morning I went into the kitchen and happened to see my kitty sitting by the sewing cabinet with a strange look on his face.  He had swallowed a lot of a string and was sitting there with the spool of thread with the string still attached.  Had to scoop him and the spool up and go to the ER where they performed surgery.  He still looks for string to swallow.  Why...?!  :-( 

Good Morning Friends,

It is Friday again, another week has escaped my grasp.  The days seem full, lots to do.  Or at least I feel really busy.  I know that I am spinning my tires, going in circles, and trying to do things that  I shouldn't be doing.  But that is me.

I have to get more firewood ready to burn Linda..  I wait for my brothers help to do that now.  The garden I can still handle, but next year I think it will shrink in size. I find that I can not get everything done during my "on times" and I have to step back and look at things. Maybe change my expectations.

I have hopes for DBS but I know that it won't transport me back to the days when I could work hard all day with lots of good achievements.

I should delete this, I never added much to this forum this week in terms of positive attitude. This post is intended as being realistic, but I find that it is maybe a bit down.  I didn't really intend that. I am very grateful for that which I can do.  Like this afternoon, we are going to Peterborough to see my Grandson play hockey this evening.  It is a pretty town and I think  my wife will enjoy looking around before we head to the arena.

I am  ok. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

be safe, jb

• Like 1

We all get down once in a while. I'll tell you a little story. The cats have their favorite places to sit. One happens to be the computer chair I sit in. If I get here first she sits and glares at me. Looks around like "where should I sit if she doesn't move? I have a shorter life span. I guess I'll just sit on this scratch pad and make her feel guilty. " But the minute I get up she is in this chair. My DH says I should shoo her off. But I just use my cell phone then. Which brings me to a discovery. Remember  in a past post I said I couldn't find the key to posting? I found it. It doesn't show on the cell phone. Only on the lap top. 

Sometimes answers are discovered after a bit of a wait. Sometimes it takes a bit of thought. 

'bit' isn't that a computer term or Little bit. Bit is a size. Not just a computer term.

My thoughts are wondering. To all of us. Sometimes all it takes is a little bit.

Be happy.

Hi, jb.   I'm so glad you felt you could be open with us as your friends here.  We appreciate so very much your positivity, but also your taking the hard step of sharing from the depths of you what your struggles are as changes come about.  Openness draws us all closer to each other.  You have developed such a wonderful thread here, and opening up with people you know you can trust as your friends will hopefully be an advantage.  You'll find you're not alone in such things as getting to the point of having to face reality when it comes to what we can and cannot do as we progress in our PD. I also struggle with that, and it's not easy to work through. It is very hard.  It's not only feeling frustration with not being able to get the things done, but it feels we are changing as people, doesn't it.  What I mean is that we kind of lose a part of ourselves that is important to us and that is a part of our identity.  And it's a painful loss not being able to any longer do all of the things we have loved to do in our lives.   It's a very, very hard place to be.  I hope you'll feel comfortable to share more as you go along.  It is so helpful to be able to get feelings out, especially with people who understand--and care. I've seen what not being able to be open and share through hard things can do to people.  The stress and loneliness of living that way can come out in inappropriate ways and can hurt others who may not understand that it is not they who are causing it  They may end up feeling that they did something wrong.  So there has to be some healthy way to release and share our difficulties in an appropriate venue that helps us and those around us, and you've developed a wonderful venue here.  I think I speak for all of us in these things.   I'm glad you are okay and that you didn't delete your post, jb.  :-)  We care about you. 

How nice that you and your wife will go to Peterborough to watch your grandson play hockey, something really fun to look forward to.  I think I may have said before that that is where my cousin and her husband live.  I looked it up on line, and the photos that came up looked to me like being in another country--perhaps what Russia looks/looked like?  So different than the small-town, old-fashioned type of communities I picture when thinking of Canada.  I'm glad you have those, too.

Take care, and have a real nice day, jb.  We'll be thinking of you (and those of us who pray will also be asking the Lord to help you in your journey).

Linda

• Like 1

Same here jb ..we'll be thinking of you...another thing i like about this forum we can say how we feel and people are so kind or we can have a laugh .

I have my down days and there is always somebody here who's words cheer me up make me laugh etc...thank you guys. and jb of course all the best..

take care 

Em

14 minutes ago, em45 said:

Same here jb ..we'll be thinking of you...another thing i like about this forum we can say how we feel and people are so kind or we can have a laugh .

I have my down days and there is always somebody here who's words cheer me up make me laugh etc...thank you guys. and jb of course all the best..

take care 

Em

Well said .... I am grateful to be able to share the good, bad and the ugly with you all. 

Here's some good..we made it to England!!!

LAD

Marcia:  Yes, doesn't it often help immensely when learning even one new little bit of information about something that can make a big difference.     Also, your kitty sounds so funny--and cute  Sounds like this kitty took a tip from the kitty you used to have who you said had trained you well.  >^,,^<

Hi, Em. It's always so nice when you stop by with your cheery Irish greetings.  -)  It would be  fun to see any pictures you may have that can be sent electronically of where you live in Ireland.  Did you ever watch the series on public television that took place in Ireland?  It kind of centered around the pub in town. I loved watching it and hearing the accent and seeing the lovely countryside in which it was filmed.  Can't remember the name of it...

Ginger Muffet, I'm so glad that you and Frederick Edward and your son made it okay to our mother country.  How long will you be there?  Be sure to keep us up on the things you see and do!  I dream of being able to visit England and go to one of the little country tearooms and walk down some country lanes and stop and talk with the folks who live in the small towns... So quaint. 

Edited by Linda Garren

jb, please know that your posts do add so much to this forum in a positive attitude. I have read so many of your observations and great stories and when I am feeling a bit down, they lift me up!  The very best to you.

Lorraine

Good morning everyone,

Thanks to all the well wishers here who listened to  me and responded with positive tones. I didn't really mean to be complaining,  But putting things down in type helps me to  accept the new realities of life with Parkinsons and helps me, no, it is more like forces me to accept the fact that my physical being is changing and I need to prepare for what faces me down the road.  

I should be more positive.  My grandson Tommy and his team lost the hockey game in Peterborough.  He brightly told me that 8 to zero wasn't that bad.  That team is the best in the league and they usually score more than that.  Ha! there is some looking at the bright side.

Have a good Saturday everyone.  Remember wet  Houston,  blown to tatters Carribean, displaced people all over the world, people fighting forest fires in Western Canada and the USA, soggy Floridians and that is a lot of thinking so I will quit there.

Be safe, be thankful. jb

• Like 1

Jb - Just wanted to say; your posts didn't seem "negative" to me at all, just realistic.  I am a very realistic person, have had people tell me to stop being so negative.  

Realism and negativity are two different things.  I always "remind" people of this.

Now, Tommy, well, he is unusually "positive".........sounds like a sweetheart!

jb, sharing the challenges is as helpful as sharing your positivity. It allows us to give you support and compassion. My experience with PD has taught me that it is as important to receive as to give. Thank you for allowing us to be there for you as you have been there for so many of us.

I had a UTI this week. For the first time, it caused new PD symptoms I haven't experienced. My non-dominant foot started to drag and the left side of my face drooped more than usual in comparison to the right side, which has not aged because my PD started on the right side.My MDS told me it is too soon to know if these changes will become permanent. I should not be surprised. I know PD is progressive.

You are spot on about writing/typing things down. There is some magic in using our hands to express our concerns. The stress leaves our body when we do that.

Despite progression, onward and upward!

Dianne

Jb-you are a bright light on this forum! I look forward to you and the rest if the good morning gang's posts. PD is new to me and love having a place to dump my stuff-good, bad or ugly without any judgments. So...thank you all!

linda- no guards in puffy red hats at the palace?!

37457034415_fd80d4e2b3_b.jpg

Here is is a cool pic of tower bridge...not London bridge.... I walked across it...on the low part

my hubby and my 3 sons keep me going! I've logged 15-20 miles in 3 days.  

Stump- how about Fall adventure season?

peace-  LAD

37294765911_7fdfc6862f_b.jpg

Edited by LAD
  • Like 1

Good morning,

It is a beautiful day out here today, back to seasonal temperatures.  We were stuck on 90 degrees with humidity over the weekend.  Whew , too hot for me!

Thank you Linda, EllaCat, Dianne, and Lad on tour, Marcia, Em, and everyone else who pick up my day when I get tired.  REALLY MEAN IT, THANK YOU.

mrs Path Finder.. How are the apple pies coming. I just pulled a dozen muffins out of my oven.  New recipe, pineapple with sour cream and cream cheese in the mix.   Hey, this does not need to be in bold print. I could not wait any longer, barely cool enough to eat, I can tell you that they taste good. 

My neighbour  couple just dropped off a nice big potted mum. they are so nice,  He was my school principal for grade 7 and 8. The 6 oclock news is full of nasty things but there are a lot of wonderful people in the world.

I better get going outside.  Two new cats are in the barn and I am sure that they await for me and the cat food that will follow.

Have a good day everyone. jb

• Like 2

Hey everyone!

Too busy with our many medical appointments to bake apple 🍎 pies! Your muffins sound delicious. Anything cream cheese is fantastic to me!

My neighbors bought me three huge pots of mums. They are just gorgeous, here's to wonderful neighbors.

We had those same temps and it was way too hot for us.

have a great day everyone!

3 hours ago, jb49 said:

Good morning,

It is a beautiful day out here today, back to seasonal temperatures.  We were stuck on 90 degrees with humidity over the weekend.  Whew , too hot for me!  DItto for Baltimore, jb.  The last week or so has been awful.  Today is absolutely delightful!

Thank you Linda, EllaCat, Dianne, and Lad on tour, Marcia, Em, and everyone else who pick up my day when I get tired.  REALLY MEAN IT, THANK YOU.  If any of us can in any way help you pick up your day, we're glad to know that.  We appreciate all these years of your having done it for us.  :-)

mrs Path Finder.. How are the apple pies coming. I just pulled a dozen muffins out of my oven.  New recipe, pineapple with sour cream and cream cheese in the mix.   Hey, this does not need to be in bold print. I could not wait any longer, barely cool enough to eat, I can tell you that they taste good.   Sound just delicious!  I had cottage cheese with fresh pineapple this morning.  Pineapple is a power fruit--lots of good things for you.

My neighbour couple just dropped off a nice big potted mum. they are so nice,  He was my school principal for grade 7 and 8. The 6 oclock news is full of nasty things but there are a lot of wonderful people in the world.  How nice!  What color is the mum plant?  Will it go on your steps outside?   And I couldn't agree with you more as to the news, jb.  Our president is encouraging the nasty culture--bigly.  I saw a funny carton the other day with a mother telling her young son to stop acting like the president.  I laughed.  It's not really in any way a laughable matter, though.  And it's extremely concerning how he is distracted by relatively unimportant matters (except to him) that he addresses instead of focusing on how he and we in the country might be able to help out our fellow Americans in Puerto Rico. It's very hard to watch.

I better get going outside.  Two new cats are in the barn and I am sure that they await for me and the cat food that will follow.  How fun to have a barn where animals show up!  What are the cats like?  Thank you for feeding them.

Have a good day everyone. jb  You, too, jb.

jb - Those muffins sound wonderful!  I love pineapple, and sour cream and cream cheese too!  How yummy!  I had a piece of homemade pineapple, sour cream pie one time!  Loved it!

Mums are so beautiful...........I love everything about Fall, my favorite season!  Summer is my least favorite, believe it or not!  Nope, not a Summer person!

Hope the barn kitties got their fill............sounds like you are doing a good job taking care of them.

As a matter of fact Jb, sounds like you are doing a good job doing a lot of things, you seem to always be busy!   I am busy at times too, but then I slack off a lot too!  lol!

Good Morning,

Another lovely day is being delivered to us here in Southern Ontario.  Also being delivered in Toronto, 100 miles to the west of me is a speech by your X President  Oboma to some business group today and a book tour by Hillary Clinton.

Lad on Tour, your pictures look great.  I have never been to Europe but the buildings, and bridges, all look amazing to me.  And the age of some of these structures add special appeal to them. 

Cat trouble has surfaced!  Our little dog Marco has to find his braver inner self.  He liked the cats at first but they wouldn't play dog tag with him.  He loves to run with other dogs around and around the yard just chasing their tails.  He tried his best to teach the two new cats which are only about 5 months old, born at my neighbours farm., how to play the game but they just stretched out on the driveway or lawn and turned  a cold shoulder to him and his invitations to play.  Marco tried for a few days to teach the game to the cats but he just didn't get any respect.  Yesterday, the cats altered the rules and their  version of tag is more like "Lets Ambush that Little Dog when He Least expects It"

Poor Marco will be outside minding his own business, and  the sneaky cats will pounce at him and scare him into tomorrow. He was scared to go out last night before bedtime for fear of catambush.  I am hoping that he will give the cats a lesson today and get some respect from them before the neighbour dogs see that Marco gets bullied by cats.  That would embarrass him badly I think.

Hope everyone has a good day.

jb

Edited by jb49
removed blank lines

Good morning, jb. I smiled at the story of those hard-hearted kittens and Marco's efforts to make them his playmates. I'm pulling for Marco to know how brave he truly is.

We had three days of 80-85 degree weather this week. This morning it is raining, more typical for Seattle. Every bone surgery I've ever had hurts when the barometric pressure goes down. It reminds me to be grateful for the days I have less pain.

I found a gluten-free pumpkin muffin mix at Trader Joes. They are a little disappointing compared to your muffins, jb. I can't have dairy or wheat flour or pineapple, so I'll be happy with what I have.

Wishing all followers of this thread a safe and happy weekend.

Dianne

Share this with Marco.  Maybe it'll make him feel better.

The things that chase Terra (my little rescue dog):

1. The Cat

2. The Rooster

3. The Goat

4. Errant Deer

• Like 1

Here are some pictures I hope.  

THE PLAYERS,

Marco, 3 year old rescue dog.  Rat Terrier mixture of brains and devotion. Great housedog, loves the outside, comes when called, will chase big dogs out of the yard if he feels like it, but really loves to play with any dogs.  Stays off the road, loves to ride in the car, on the ATV or walk to the woods. He is shy of some people, but unafraid to run among the horses. He can go a long time in the house without leaking, full of enthusiasm and loves to lie on the couch with you and fall asleep watching tv.  Loves his corner crust of peanut butter in the morning.

Toby, 4 month old cat. I'm not a big fan of cats, but we do have too many chipmunks an such running wild this year.  This kitten, for a barn cat has been handled a lot and is quite gentle.  The grandboys will love this cat.  If I were a cave man and cats were not domesticated yet, Toby would be the one seeking food and wanting to feel the heat from the fire and part of the inner circle.

Keith., He is the hit man of the two. The enforcer. Toby is the planner and Keith does the Hit.  Keith hunts for mice and works out.  If the cats ever attack me, it will be Keith chewing on my ankles.  Keith purrs like his sister, wants to be a good cat, eat from my hand and be cuddled but is hesitant to trust a hand stroking his fur.  I have not picked up this cat yet, and when I do, for sure I will have cat gloves on and a bag of my blood type on hand.  Keith would be the pair of eyes reflecting the firelight back to the cave from the darkness of the outer ring.

http://P1130988_zps1lbpevsr.jpg

http://http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x425/jaybee49/april foll/P11309http://P1130989_zpsbqhbtqsq.jpghttp://P1130992_zpsreck8xr7.jpg

Edited by jb49
lost marcos image
  • Like 1