helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
jb49

Good morning!!

1 hour ago, Linda Garren said:

He's so cute, Marcia.  :-)

My kitty has a very bad and strange habit lately.  If I am working on paperwork on my bed and he is nearby watching, for some reason he attacks me (my hands).  He's a loving cat, and I just don't know what causes him to do this.  It's not a playful way he does it, either.  He draws blood.  Anyone have any idea why he may do this?

I think it is a dominance thing. Ours will put their paws on us for attention or they want something. But if the claws come out we push them away and refuse to give them what they want. Tonight my DH was on the phone and Mr D wanted something and kept meowing till DH shooed him away. He also scolded him. Mr D lay quietly just outside the room till my DH was ready and then my DH asked him what he wanted..  

Cats do things that make sense to them, but not to us.  Cats like to pounce on things that are moving, especially things that are kind of long and move in wiggly ways........like fingers.  If I wiggle my fingers near Ella, she gets in the "attack" mode.  It is a hunting instinct.  They love to hunt, it is born in them and the pickins are slim in a house, so fingers will do!

It all boils down to "instinct" don't take any of it personally or feel they are being "mean."

Marcia, so what did kitty say he wanted when DH asked him?  I'm thinking it might have been his attention.

Ella will sit and stare at me and if I don't give her my direct attention, she "meows" in a demanding tone!   It's their way of talking to us.

ellaangel2, yes he wanted attention. He checked his dishes to make sure they were full and then wanted to be brushed which was always done in the morning but as long as he had the attention he'd get as much as he could. Then he jumped on the back of the chair the DH was sitting in. He looked mighty smug.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jb49 said:

Good morning everyone.

Hi Emms, how are things on the Emerald Isle today?

Those little messages are great LAD.  We used to brainstorm Parky slogans for T shirts here on the forum.

We had a good time at my Sisters house for Thanksgiving.  My sister, braver than a Pilgrim woman, sits about 50 people down in her house for the annual meal.  Turkey and dressing. Ham. Mashed potatoes, squash, candied apples, salads with strange little seeds and rice and beans (coos coos?) cooked carrots.  Desert is apple and pumpkin pies, cookies, butter tarts, pumpkin squares.  It is all pretty tasty.

This bit that follows was a reply that I made in the open forum.  I thought I was in this young onset forum and some of it was aimed at this forum, so I copied it back over to here. Sorry for the confusion. 

Hello Super Scoop, 

I'm glad that we have another super hero on the forum.  One can't have too many Super Heroes in their corner when the Evil Parkinsonaurus is on the prowl.  Which Reminds me.   Where is Super Lady Shera? And while I have your thread detoured a bit Mr. Super D  Scooper, I need to ask Linda this:  You like nicknames for everyone...how have you managed to stick with just plain Linda.  Should we start a "Pick a name for Linda Campaign."  Not that there is anything wrong with Linda.  It is a lovely name and you wear it well.  Okay Super Scoop, I will get back on topic.

Back in 2007, when I still worked as a carpenter 50 hours a week, I was starting to encounter a bit of a problem with my right hand.  It was not doing what the old brain was telling it to do by way of the nervous system and all those neurotransmitting cell towers that connected up the communication system between Motor control portion of my brain,  and parts of my body that needed to move as requested.  Or be still as requested. I had been treating it as you suggested Super De Cooper:  I was ignoring it.  I knew it was only a pinched nerve and it would eventually revert back to normal and I went to my doctor to confirm my assumption. Imagine my surprise when the good doctor did a few tests on my movement and said that I needed to see a neurologist and perhaps even a trip to a movement disorder clinic.  And few months later it was confirmed.  I had Parkinsons.  

When I started to review what this was all about and scrolled through typical symptoms, one thing that came up was that handwriting gets smaller and trails off.  Which was exactly what was happening.  Signing a stack of Christmas cards became a task.  Filling out addresses on envelopes became a chore. I told them at the bank that my cheques may have a signature that looks like this or this or this....  If not careful, I could have trouble reading my own grocery lists. 

The problem with handwriting is  that it is an act requiring fine motor control.  If I was writing on a chalk board with big strokes powered by shoulder and arms, my writing is better than when doing finer strokes using more wrist and fingers.  Try carrying a chalkboard through the bakery section at the grocery store. 

In conclusion,  No one should let me perform any type of neuro surgery on your brain., don't look for Christmas cards from me in the mail, I'm glad that we have a journalist on the forum,  I hope that you don't have Parkinsons SuperdeScooper, Linda is still Linda and that is fine with me, and I hope Shera is doing great but she should say hi once in awhile (maybe you have and I missed it), there are many others who should check in once in awhile, and I hope that you don't mind me yammering on in a straight circle on your well intentioned thread .

Hope that you get the answers that you are seeking SuperdeScooper.

All the best to you and everyone, jb

And now I better get going.  Lunch time is rolling around.  It has been a very wet morning here as we get the tail end of Nate. You must of gotten the same rain Marcia.   

Then, with a short struggle, he pulled on his latex gliding suit and with a running leap, he began his descent from the snow capped peak. Twisting he steered himself between the twin spires of Chimney Rock, met up with a surprised looking Falcon as he glided past the Empire ledge. His web cam was switched on as he hurtled under the big rock bridge and the webbed suit strained as he flew like a flying squirrel.  The desert floor was now giving up details to his eyesight and with great effort he cut to the right and torpedoed between two huge Redwood giants and pulled the chute strings and fluttered to a landing on a patch of green grass and he rolled to a perfect landing. 

have a good day, jb 

Hi folks..jb thank you..ok here just trying to pull myself together as a dear friend of mine passed away 2days ago ..going to church soon anyway take care everybody.

Em

• Sad 1

Oooooh.  I'm very sorry for your loss Em.  Losing a friend is a sad thing.  Big hug for you Emily.  Did your friend live in Kilkenny?

I will keep you and your friend in  my thoughts. 

JB

Condolences on the loss of your friend, Em. It's hard to wrap your heart and mind around such a deep loss. I'll be praying for you as you grieve.

Dianne

Thank you so much Dianne...and thank you jb  my good friend was a close neighbour she'd pop in for a cuppa or same here...

thanks again dear friends ..Em 

• Like 1

I'm still here !! Not as super as I used to be.  Will post more later. Hard to do on a bumpy express bus and an IPHONE 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, em45 said:

Hi folks..jb thank you..ok here just trying to pull myself together as a dear friend of mine passed away 2days ago ..going to church soon anyway take care everybody.

Em

Em-So sorry for your loss. Sending you good thoughts & prayers.

LAD

Please add me to those others who have also expressed their condolences, dear Em.  We know the rich blessing that a precious friend can bring to our lives and the inevitable grief that the loss can bring. We are thinking of you and will pray for the comfort like none other that the Lord can bring to carry you through this time.

Good Morning Emma,

You have lots of good feelings an wise words coming your way to help  you at this time of sadness Em.  I hope that they all help you as you remember your friend.

Hugs, jb

Edited by jb49
typo corrected!

Good morning Everyone,

Hi Ems.  Linda, Shera...,. saw that you posted a hello, Ella, Dianne, Marcia, LAD and Peace and all the rest of you regulars and all you shy men who leave me to deal with all of these wonderful Ladies. ( tis no problem;)  Hope you all have great days today.

I went to a funeral yesterday.  The Lady that passed away was a wonderful person.  She grew  up, taught school for about 40 years, much of that in one room schools.  She never married but Alice was one of 9 kids that grew up on a farm not a mile from where I sit right now so she never lacked company and family dinners.   My grand mothers family went to school with her family, at the same red brick school that I would later attend.   Our families lived and worked together and on Sundays we went to the same church.  Alice saw a lot of things first appear such as cars and airplanes and she was impressed by modern stuff .  However she stuck with things that were basic like fried chicken and talking to people in person. Travelling on trains so she could see the scenery and picnics by the river.  She lived about a mile up the road from our home for about 25 years before moving to a retirement place in town and was a very good friend with my Mom. They spent many hours together just talking.  That was a tough funeral for Mom to attend.  Alice was born in 1908 and lived to be 109 yrs old.  RIP Alice!

Take care everyone,

jb

6 hours ago, jb49 said:

Good morning Everyone,

Hi Ems.  Linda, Shera...,. saw that you posted a hello, Ella, Dianne, Marcia, LAD and Peace and all the rest of you regulars and all you shy men who leave me to deal with all of these wonderful Ladies. ( tis no problem;)  Hope you all have great days today.

I went to a funeral yesterday.  The Lady that passed away was a wonderful person.  She grew  up, taught school for about 40 years, much of that in one room schools.  She never married but Alice was one of 9 kids that grew up on a farm not a mile from where I sit right now so she never lacked company and family dinners.   My grand mothers family went to school with her family, at the same red brick school that I would later attend.   Our families lived and worked together and on Sundays we went to the same church.  Alice saw a lot of things first appear such as cars and airplanes and she was impressed by modern stuff .  However she stuck with things that were basic like fried chicken and talking to people in person. Travelling on trains so she could see the scenery and picnics by the river.  She lived about a mile up the road from our home for about 25 years before moving to a retirement place in town and was a very good friend with my Mom. They spent many hours together just talking.  That was a tough funeral for Mom to attend.  Alice was born in 1908 and lived to be 109 yrs old.  RIP Alice!

Take care everyone,

jb

109.....maybe there's something to be said about sticking to the basics and as my kids say  "Old school."   I'm gussing Alice also wrote traditional thank you notes too.  I make my kids do, despite all the protests that an email is easier.  

Peace to your mom....

LAD

Couldn't agree more, LAD (a.k.a., Ginger, Muffet).

jb, my mom and dad lived much like you describe above.  It was idyllic--not perfect, but a totally different, much more friendly, caring, not-as-pressed-for-time era in which family and friends enjoyed peaceful meals and conversation and good down-home cooking like fried chicken, with each cook preparing it in her own special way and known for it.  I can well imagine the loss was hard on your mom.  That was a long friendship.  What a blessing.

Edited by Linda Garren

Good morning everyone,

Good morning Ginger  LAD and Violet Linda,   Thank you for the kind words.

My sister Sue tells this story from long ago better than I do.  Mom was cooking supper for a family group that was coming to her house.  Alice had been sick that week and as supper cooked my Mom  was making soup for her. Sue was trying to help Mom with cleaning up to make ready for the incoming company when she realised that Mom was going to Alice`s house up the road to deliver the soup. We better get cleaned up here Mom said my sister Sue. First I deliver this soup my Mom replied. Alice is a lot more important to me than Company finding my house in a bit of a mess. 

Kind acts that help others cannot be given a dollar value, but if they could, My Mother has given away a fortune in her lifetime.   

• Like 3

Good morning Everyone,

Dianne, ElleCat, and Violet Linda., What sweet comments you reply with.  You are all too kind.   My Mom is wonderful as was my Dad.  I had lots of good role models in my Life, They reached levels of service to others that I will fall short of. I try though. 

We have had a real warm spell here of late. Yesterday I dug up some of the carrots from the garden.  Lots of stems, they look really good but too many small carrots .  However we canned the bigger ones as pickles and anything that is too small becomes tidbits for the horses. Peelings go to the laying hens. I also dug more potatoes and stacked another load of firewood onto the front porch. It is warm still but winter always gets here eventually.  

Some days, like yesterday, I never quite get over the hump and ride the wave of feeling somewhat normal. (Peace, it is like riding a horse at a bumpy little trot and it tries to break into a canter for a smoother ride.  But it never quite gets up to that next speed).  By days end it feels like a wore out a pair of shoes from the shuffle, and my body feels like I carried that Parkinson Demon, over my shoulder for every step of the day.  Sometimes I can pop an extra couple of Levodopa pills, but Dyskinesia,  one of the thugs that Hang out with Parkinson, usually is lurking in the shadows, ready to yank on my arms and twist me around.  I am ok though. 

This afternoon we plan to go to town to listen to a classical music presentation put on by local musicians at the Anglican Church.  It should be good.  

Have great days you all.  Remember Houston,   Florida,  Puerto Rico and I better add California to the list as well.

The best of everything to all you great people.

jb

Hi, jb.  I know so well the feeling of having carried Parkinson's over your shoulder every step of the day.  I don't know how you do all you do.  My morning ritual when I get up completely wears me out, and all I do is feed the cat, scoop his box, make some coffee (which doesn't give any stimulating effect any more, really), sometimes put a load of laundry in the washer, and fix a very simple breakfast of some kind.  And then I have to rest...

A Sunday afternoon classical music presentation sounds just delightful.  Enjoy your day!

Violet Linda  2.thumb.jpg

Edited by Linda Garren