helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
jb49

Good morning!!

So let's see if I can remember the books of my youth:  Black Beauty, Beautiful Joe, The Little Red Hen (my favorite that my poor mom got so tired of reading over and over to me), The Little Engine That Could,  Little Black Sambo, Peter Rabbit, Cinderella, The Boy Who Cried Wolf, lots of little Golden Books of all kinds, and others that I just can't remember.  :-)  Also lots of comic books, my favorite being Little Lulu.

And how could I possibly forget "Billy and Blaze."  In elementary school when we would visit the library, my teacher was over--concerned that this was the book I always went to to read.  I didn't know how to explain to her that I was just mesmerized by the beautiful pencil sketches.  She was so concerned that she called my mother.  My mother asked me why I always checked that book out.  I couldn't put into words all that the drew me to that book!  I loved, loved, loved horses in addition to enjoying the artwork.  My next-door neighbor and I would mount our back porch railings (about a 6"-wide wooden railing) and pretend we were riding.  I put my cat's leather harness and leash on the post for the bridle.  All I dreamed of through childhood was owning a horse.

My boys' favorites were by Robert Munsch.  He had book that was a collection of his stories called Munschworks. He also wrote "love you forever" . 

Softly she sings to him: 
"I'll love you forever 
I'll like you for always 
As long as I'm living 
My baby you'll be."

LAD

Edited by LAD

Good Morning Everyone,

LADy, you hit the nail on the head with Robert Munsch books being popular with recent generations.  My kids had at least ten of them and I suspect that they could recite them back from memory still. And the book you quote "Love you forever" probably put more tears in the eyes of many parents as they read it to thier kids.    Another book I read probably 7 thousand times as my kids were falling asleep was "Good Night Moon"    There were not very many nights that we didn't read bedtime stories.  Time well spent.!  And then one night they read it to you and then they are reading to themselves and before you know it,  they are married and have thier own homes,  As it should be..

Oh LInda,  you painted a picture in my mind that I will carry for awhile.  What is it with young girls and horses. Boys like horses too, but not the way a girl does,  Does anyone have trouble seeing this back porch scene with Linda sitting on the rail holding the cat leash. racing her friend through the woods and up the hill.  Linda, did you used to sit on a mechanical one in the shopping centre and ride it for a nickle.?

And did you read Uncle Wiggily?  I found some of his adventures a little scary.  Golden Books were great.  My daughter's  "Red Hen" was The KIngs Wish. I made sure that her boys got it so that theycould drive her crazy with it as she did me LOL

And look at the time. I gotta run

BUT THEN i WENT BACK A PAGE. THE LAST ENTRY OF A PAGE OFTEN GETS MISSED IF YOU AREN'T CAREFUL.

THIS WAS POSTED BY LINDA

Had lunch yesterday with some friends

at our pub where we ate newest trends.

Then we walked to the new pool which lends

old/new residents...what?  It depends...

on one's view of one's savings it rends.

Then we walked the long halls with some bends,

as I prayed the next bend (please!) just ends.

It was fun--but this Parkie, she tends

to need rest and time out, so she mends.

So, "So long!" to her friends she then sends,

and to home and a rest she then wends.

This is how her slowed life it now tends.

Edited 16 hours ago by Linda Garren

I BROUGHT IT FORWARD SO EVERYONE CAN SEE THIS LINDA

You are in a reflective state perhaps. a range of time, starting with a rail that can be a horse with youthful freedom of heart, mind and body to a quieter stage of life where our bodies can throw the brakes on.  I can relate to this.

Thank you for all of this that you took time to write.

I am going to post this now.  As my post gets longer , and pages are changed, my fear of losing an hours typing increases. 

Good days to everyone.  I think I still owe a reply to Irish Em.

Edited by jb49

Hey jb so your looking for more

hope your feeling good as life can be a bore

As pd is enough without this or that

if we look after ourselves just go for a walk with the cat

Em

Over to you jb...

Good Morning Em,

I asked for your rhymes to keep coming.  I hadn't better drop the ball now.  Anyone else could join in I presume, right Em?

Roses are Red and the violets are blue

I hope sunny skies come shining on you.

As you sit on your bench, in your garden nook

Curled with a hot cuppa tea and a good book.

Goood day to you and everyone else Em

jb, I love the visual of your poem about sitting on a bench in a garden nook.  :-)  Beautiful poem.

And your comment on being in a reflective state is right on.  I'm finding this aging thing to be very difficult. 

Uncle Wiggly--I think I remember reading those books, but I don't remember anything about them...

More books I remember:  Peter Rabbit and Mr. McGreger's garden (and Beatrix Potter's The Complete Tales), Sleeping Beauty, Goldilocks and the Three Bears

And, yes.  I rode those horses at the store.  (Did you?)  Cokes were 5 cents at that time.  When they went up to 6 cents, the country was in a tizzy over it.

On 2/25/2018 at 4:11 PM, Linda Garren said:

And how could I possibly forget "Billy and Blaze."  In elementary school when we would visit the library, my teacher was over--concerned that this was the book I always went to to read.  I didn't know how to explain to her that I was just mesmerized by the beautiful pencil sketches.  She was so concerned that she called my mother.  My mother asked me why I always checked that book out.  I couldn't put into words all that the drew me to that book!  I loved, loved, loved horses in addition to enjoying the artwork.  My next-door neighbor and I would mount our back porch railings (about a 6"-wide wooden railing) and pretend we were riding.  I put my cat's leather harness and leash on the post for the bridle.  All I dreamed of through childhood was owning a horse.

Oh, Linda. I loved horses too. When I was very little my sister and her boyfriend took me to a fair. They had the ponies on a track (don't know what it is called. But after we'd finished I asked if I could go again. Her boyfriend says yes but my sister said I didn't need too. So I went again.I asked my dad for a horse but he said they eat too much. My mom told me my grandpa loved horses too. I've got a picture of him at 10 with his horse. But I lost the horse fever when I grew up. But I made sure my son#1 got a spring horse. Now my granddaughters have a small rocking horse. 

Edited by MarciaJ

Linda,

Yes that is probably it. A ring and the guy would walk them in a circle.  I loved the Merry-go-round also. I have a funny story about that too. I was so naive. Talk about knowing your terminology. My dad's place of work gave all employees a Christmas party including family. It's an amusement park or it used to be. So I made a bee line for the Merry-go-round. My mom or who ever I was with gave me one ticket. So I rode it till it stopped and the guy who gets the tickets yowled out that anyone who wanted to ride again to stay on. So I did. It didn't occur to me till he went around collecting tickets that he meant I needed another. I was very embarrassed.

Edited by MarciaJ

JB- I too read GOOD NIGHT MOON  20000 times. I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

LAD

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Twitchy mama said:

And dont forget the Robert Munsch books - I!ll love you forever!

I quoted that book in an earlier post😊

Hi friends..from snowy Ireland...hope all's well with ye.

Hey jb ,,thanks again for the Cleats as I would have skidded down the hill. Take care guys gonna fill up hot water bottle before electrics go.

Em

Hi all.., I have spent some time crunched in a corner at my son's vocal lessons watching him  get ready for a competition next week...i anchor my arm on the armrest

Here's a snippet of his one song....watch if you want ....have a good Sunday 

LAD

• Like 2

Good Evening Everyone,

I have not posted for a week or so.  I sometimes get lost in my own little world.

LADy it must be fun in your household to have such a talented singer.

I saw the weatherr in Ireland on the news the other day Em, it certainly looked gnurly for the Emerald Isle. Im glad that you found those ice grippers helpful. It hasn't ben icy here much this winter. I think I put the grippers on my boots only once,

She Ra, how are you doing?

Linda; I googled Billy Blaze and it looked like a good set of books.a

As always Mighty Marcia, your stories are sweet and to the point. 

I was planning to get DBS done in Toronto in late August.   I am an approved candidate by the overseeing group as of January and it was at the end of that assessment, that I chose the surgeon from the list and they thought he likely would be able to do it in August. Last Friday, I took the train to toronto for the 230  appt. and met the surgeon and some of the team.  They quizzed me, and ran the usual little tests , filled out some paperwork and I am signed in.  I don't have a firm date yet, but he did say that the oversight committee were too optmistic with the August.  So it sounds like it will be later into the fall. 

The maple sap has run very steady this season.   My brother retired from his job last year and has helped out a lot and made it more fun.  It still leaves me tired out and if I tried doing anything on the computer at night, I would fall asleep and face plant into my laptop. I did go to bed tonite but couldn't get all my tired aching pieces, joints and muscles to relax and let me sleep. I am quite dyskinetic now. I sleep poorly, my balance is not very good for walking in the woods, or bending over to tie laces. I am really hoping that the  stimulater addresses some of these things at least partially.  Hey, I still feel pretty good for the shape I am in.  I could also walk away from the rest of the syrup  season but i will push on. One thing I do realze is the safety of a given situation.  My dyskenesia is making it dangerous for me and anyone else helping bottle up the hot syrup,  Next batch I will teach my brother.

And on that note I will try sleeping again.Be strong everyone, Hey Dianne, and everyone else. jb xx 

jb, thanks for bringing us up to date on your DBS planning.  I know it must be difficult that the surgery may be farther out than planned.

So glad to hear your brother is helping with the buckets--and especially nice to hear he makes it more fun. What a difference that can make when having fun doing a laborious project.

My cousin who lives in Toronto has had what had been diagnosed as essential tremor years ago, but she feels she should be tested again to be sure it is E.T. and not Parkinson's.  Would you be okay with my having her post or PM you to ask about your PD doc?  I told her how important it is to look for one who is in a research university setting, and so I thought of you right away as a fellow Torontoee.  :-)

JB, I am still here, reluctantly.  I have experienced some progression, albeit mild, but enough to upset me for a while.  It has greatly disturbed my state of denial.  Had my MDS visit about two weeks ago and he increased my C/L which was another blow.  Another bite of acceptance I guess...:(

On a brighter note, DH and I are set to retire July 20.  A couple of months ago, we moved full time to our Georgia "mountain" house up in NE Georgia but are still working full time in downtown Atlanta.  It is a b!tch of a commute but we are saving quite a bit of money.  Just a few more months to go. It actually snowed a tiny bit yesterday which always thrills me.

Hugs to all here!  I read everyday to see what you are up to. The smiles you give me help more than you know.

Love, Sheila

• Like 2

Hi, Sheila.  Am so sorry you are going through a rough time.  We can understand and empathize, as I think many if not most of us either have been or are currently going through those same feelings as we see ourselves progressing.  It is difficult; there's no way around that.  I imagine knowing that you'll be able to retire fairly soon must give you a lift.  You'll have less pressure, which is always a help as far as symptoms go.  I love Georgia.  And you'll get to be in a "mountain" house!  :wink:  That sounds so nice!  Can you send pics sometime to us?

Linda

Linda, thanks for the encouragement and engaging me.  It helps a lot.  I have never posted a photo but will try to figure it out!

Good afternoon. Somehow the morning slipped away.

LAD, your son is very talented. I enjoyed his singing. It is amazing how quickly he can switch from one song to the next without missing a beat!

Sheila, I sure can relate to the PD progression topic. Breaking out of the isolation is difficult for me, too.

I was released from the hospital last evening after several days of IV antibiotics for an infection around the site of my peg-j tube. It was a very strange experience. They had only a few items on the menu that I could eat. The first doctor I saw told me I would have to have food brought in from home because they are not equipped to feed patients with special dietary needs. Fortunately one of my caregivers was able to bring a few items in. I was in isolation so there was no way to heat the food up once it was in my room. I lived on gluten-free banana muffins and peanut butter cookies, tangerines, and sliced bananas with lukewarm tea for three days.

I had a stunning view of downtown Seattle and Elliot Bay from the window in my room. I will try to upload a picture if I can figure it out.

JB, I feel sad about the delay in your DBS surgery. I've seen it help many people. It will happen exactly when it is meant to. Hang in there.

Dianne 

• Like 1

Update...my son is in the semifinals in his competition tomorrow😊

LAD

• Like 1