helplinedonate
jb49

Good morning!!

On 4/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, Peace said:

The Bitsy Bontana .  I thought it was a video but maybe it's just a picture???  At home I use internet explorer and it said my browser wasn't supported.  I just tried it here at work with firefox it opened as a picture but no video. 

Yes it was a picture.  He just did a video submission so once that is over I'll post it. 

LAD

Hi everyone.

We know that you are close Pathfinder. Thanks SoCalGal.

After a flurry of phonecalls, head scratching and "waiting to hear", two metal hip replacements that I had done 10 years ago have been deemed safe for the MRI image that I am booked for this weekend. Yesterday I arranged transport, lodging and farmsitting and tomorrow I do a pre op meeting and blood testing and signing on the line for surgery in a couple weeks.  Saturday night they put me in the capsule and MRI my head.  Concerns were raised over my hips and whether they would perhaps get too warm with a 3T (MRI machines are mostly 1.5 but the new generation of them are upgraded to 3.  as I understand them)  The technical people reviewing the composition of my inserts have decided that my hips will be far away  from my head and therefore safe from overheating.  I trust them.  I hope that they don't assume I am 6'6 tall or something. I'm a shorty at 5'7  and that shortens the distance. MRIs are strange.  I would not be surprised if when the thing stops, and I emerge, I will be stepping onto the surface of the moon.

Gotta run, calls to make things to do.

later, take care,

jb

• Like 2

Wow, jb!!!  This is really close now!  We are praying for you that everything continues to flow so well both in the preparation and the surgery itself, as well as the recovery.

Before you know it, you'll be back to your farm home, with the horses looking in and asking where you have been, and the little house dog dancing in anticipation of lying in your lap as you enjoy sitting in front of your wood stove!  :-)

3 hours ago, jb49 said:

Hi everyone.

We know that you are close Pathfinder. Thanks SoCalGal.

After a flurry of phonecalls, head scratching and "waiting to hear", two metal hip replacements that I had done 10 years ago have been deemed safe for the MRI image that I am booked for this weekend. Yesterday I arranged transport, lodging and farmsitting and tomorrow I do a pre op meeting and blood testing and signing on the line for surgery in a couple weeks.  Saturday night they put me in the capsule and MRI my head.  Concerns were raised over my hips and whether they would perhaps get too warm with a 3T (MRI machines are mostly 1.5 but the new generation of them are upgraded to 3.  as I understand them)  The technical people reviewing the composition of my inserts have decided that my hips will be far away  from my head and therefore safe from overheating.  I trust them.  I hope that they don't assume I am 6'6 tall or something. I'm a shorty at 5'7  and that shortens the distance. MRIs are strange.  I would not be surprised if when the thing stops, and I emerge, I will be stepping onto the surface of the moon.

Gotta run, calls to make things to do.

later, take care,

jb

Take care jb..you are in our thoughts, Best wishes,

Em and Seán

Thankyou, Sean and Em for your concern.  Thanks Linda for painting a nice picture of hopmecoming.  I think things went well in Toronto.  trains, schedules, hotels, restauraunts and such things tire me out.  We returned home on Sunday. Monday was a write off. But I think everything is ready for surgery on May 8 to install probes and then on May10 they will install the power pack in my chest and connect the wiring.

Today is Tuesday. I will be in the OR 2 weeks from right now.

So in the next 2 weeks I will get my suitcase packed, some books picked out to read. Squirrel away some snacks into my backpack, um lots of gum I think. Also I will try to get some of the springtime jobs completed around here. Maybe even get some potatoes planted in the garden.

Sadness in Toronto today.  A young man for unknown reasons drove a rented van up onto the sidewalk along Yonge street yesterday and killed 10 people and injured many more.  I shake my head in disbelief.

Be strong and diligent  my friends.

• Thanks 2

jb, we have been following the awful incident in Toronto in our news, too.  The officials who have been reporting on it have done such a good job of communicating to the public. Very professional, well spoken, and caring.  It's horrendous what this man did.  One wonders at what must be going on inside so many who have done this prior to this incident, as well. There must be tremendous anger and feelings of no hope. (I remember driving many years ago on Yonge St. where the incident took place when I had been coming up to visit a friend who lives in Toronto.)

The following article is being shared just "FYI," jb.  Dr. Mari who is mentioned in the article is so well thought of and looked up to in the Parkinson community (he led the DBS Division of the Dept. of Neurology at Hopkins until he got recruited away last year by an offer that was too good to turn down in Nevada).  I wasn't sure whether to share the article with you or not since you are already deep into your plans and only two weeks away from surgery, but I felt compelled that you at least have the opportunity to know about it.  I would imagine you could phone or e-mail Dr. Mari and discuss your situation and where you are in the plans for your surgery, and just see what his thoughts are.  He might well advise you it would be best to keep to the plans made, but without checking, there is no way to know.

https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2015/07/16/johns-hopkins-student-developed-noninvasive-brain-stimulator-may-ease-parkinsons-symptoms/#at_pco=tst-1.0&at_si=5adf8d9148f3f153&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=0&at_tot=2

We're all thinking of you and appreciate your keeping us up with things and your plans on what you hope to get done prior to the surgery.

Linda

On 4/24/2018 at 10:32 AM, jb49 said:

Thankyou, Sean and Em for your concern.  Thanks Linda for painting a nice picture of hopmecoming.  I think things went well in Toronto.  trains, schedules, hotels, restauraunts and such things tire me out.  We returned home on Sunday. Monday was a write off. But I think everything is ready for surgery on May 8 to install probes and then on May10 they will install the power pack in my chest and connect the wiring.

So in the next 2 weeks I will get my suitcase packed, some books picked out to read. Squirrel away some snacks into my backpack, um lots of gum I think. Also I will try to get some of the springtime jobs completed around here. Maybe even get some potatoes planted in the garden.

Sadness in Toronto today.  A young man for unknown reasons drove a rented van up onto the sidewalk along Yonge street yesterday and killed 10 people and injured many more.  I shake my head in disbelief.

I haven't posted in so long that I forgot how. So I  just wish everyone pain free days ahead.

m

• Like 1

Marcia, what a lovely wish for all of us with PD. I don't know how far back I'd have to go to remember a pain-free day. Pain is such an in-the-moment experience. If I get tense about it I feel worse. Your wish reminds me that there's so much more to me than pain. Thank you.

jb, my thoughts and prayers are with you as you count down the days to your new adventure. 

Dianne    

On 4/24/2018 at 4:32 PM, jb49 said:

JB,  I wish you all the best for May 8  and May 10.  I will be thinking of you all day (won't forget the 6 hour time difference !).  I am sure you will be doing fine.  Remember you are under the best hands you could think of.  i'll send all good vibrations possible to benefit you and the operating team.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.  Big hugs.

Mireille

Hello Mireille

I really appreciate your support.  All the way from France even.  I am nervous about the whole thing.  I don't take it lightly.  I am also definitely sure that I want this procedure and I look forward to recovery and rehabilitation.  I am ready,  mentally prepared and I am hopeful that I have good results.  I will keep you posted.  Thank you again.  John 

• Like 1

jb49-

I will add you to my morning prayers- especially next Tuesday. One of my classmates just had DBS this week. Sent the class some pictures...he seemed great in a remarkable short time! 

41703132602_bca010cfc0_b.jpg

🙏🙏

LAD

Edited by LAD

Thank you Marcia.  That is a very sweet wish.  I hope it comes true!

jb-I'm getting so anxious (in a good way) regarding your upcoming surgery.  We are all thinking and praying for you.  I'm so excited about the wonderful outcome I'm sure you'll have and can't wait to hear from you.  As soon as you're able please touch base with us.

Hugs all around.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 6:56 PM, Peace said:

LAD-I can't watch your sons performance.  It says my browser is unsupported:(.

Here is a clip from a cabaret at a local restaurant...

LAD

• Like 1

I'm here!  I haven't checked in a while and boy what great news JB!  You will certainly be in my prayers! I guess I would be excited and scared all at the same time.

Actually, John, our little house is in Clayton, GA near the NC/SC corner of Georgia.  We are 81 days from retirement and that is scary for me.  I have started training a replacement for part of my job.  Makes me wish we could mind meld like Mr. Spock and get it over with.

We got a new kitten last week.  A co-worker of DH's had the mother cat and needed to find two kittens a home.  We named her Cassie and she is a delight.  Our little old man, Scout, is 15 and he has been very patient with her for which I am very grateful.

I will try to check in more often.  I am thankful for every one here and love how you are so supportive.

Love, Sheila

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peace said:

Loved that clip LAD!  He is soooo talented.  Thanks for sharing.

Chasing that dream! He better remember his mom when he gets To broadway 

Thanks Peace, lady rancher from the Midwest.  Keep that penny close!  Lad, I watched the video, he is an entertainer.  I hope you see him up on stage in the bright lights one day soon.   dIANNE, i chuckle at the thoughts of "John's Adventure".  Thank you Pathfinder and Linda for good thoughts.  Linda, I wish good health for you. (and everyone else as well of course)  She Ra, When I pulled out the map of the USA I realized that I had something messed up cause you would of been commuting hundreds of miles to work every day.  Nice to hear from you.

A week from now, I will have fancy new directional propes in my brain base. The second part follows 2 days later when the battery pack gets installed and wires are hooked up.  Then I go about 6 weeks before the main switch gets thrown and I jump up and dance.  Or whatever.  That will be a long wait.

Hope everyone hasa good day.

jb. 

Dear jb49:  I am sure you will jump up and dance!  You have helped so many of us over the years;  you deserve an excellent result from DBS.  We would expect nothing less!  You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this newest adventure.  Keep on smiling,  and let us hear from you early and often!  Swamper

JB best of luck and thoughts and prayers will be with you

Bard

Good morning everyone. ,

Wow Swampette, if you said all that to me sitting in a room, I would be looking over my shoulder, uncertain if you were aiming such kind words to me or perhaps some one behind me.  Thank you, I try to help as best I can.

Back to the van in Toronto,  driven up a busy sidewalk, killing 10 people last week.  15 years ago, I started to do work for a Lady who left the city looking for a quieter life out in the country and bought an old farm about ten miles from our place.  I did a lot of work for her in the ensuing years repairing  old barns and building new shelters for her animals. It was a nice place to work for me and we became good friends.  Her Mom, 80 years plus still lived back in Toronto, but not now.  She was one of the last victims of the van and its driver to be identified. So many violent and sickening things happen in the daily news that I don't have to do anything more than shake my head in disbelief.  This time, I will have to try to help my friend grieve and come to a point of acceptance that life can be cruel but when all is considered,  life is sweet.  But we all know that sweet doesn`t  make the lead story on the six oclock news.

A week from now I will be be in the hospital, the day after surgery, with probes into my grey stuff that the Parkinson Dude has made black and rather useless. I am amazed at the skill and confidence, knowledge and under standing that the doctors at the hospital have of the Brainus Maximus and other body parts. My body right now is really feeling the symptoms of Parkinsons worse than I ever have.  Maybe my Body thinks that surgery is going to fix all things, so quit struggling. I know that Surgery will help with a programmed dbs in place,. but I`m not expecting miracles. I better get at my job list titled HORSEFEATHERS. (Household Organization Required Suddenly,  Effecting Family Entering And Tending Home`s Environmental Resources Systems).

I hope everybody has a stellar day today.  I am planning on it.

jb