helplinedonate
jb49

Good morning!!

Good Morning Everyone!  Hope all of you are doing fine, and enjoying today!

I managed a solo 3000-mile road trip.   I don't stress little things, and to make it easy on me I keep life flexible.  One of the ways I can do a long road trip is the option to stop and nap. Fatigue or nightfall (dusk) and I'm done the day.   I have a small fridge, and a bed in the back of the van.  

Made it to Phoenix for a week (work related), then out to California to see my daughter over the Labor Day Weekend. 

First time I have ever taken her camping. Her boyfriend and dog joined the weekend.

Peaceful camping, most locations I was at were out of cell range. Good thing, nice and quiet. The second gives me a chance to catch up on my reading. Finished "The last bus to Wisdom" by Ivan Doig.   Great book, my daughter is reading it and loved it.  Another book is "Always looking up" by MJF.  Both recommended reading.

Two photo's.   First when I stopped in Big Bear Lake for a few days.   Second with her in front of the "bread box of a van".

The irony is at Big Bear Lake (7000 ft evaluation) it dropped to 40F at night. I forget a jacket.

Other fun was stopping about 80 miles west of Phoenix. Dusk, and time to call it a night. Parked and it was 108F.  Read a book for a while, finally went to bed (vents open, fan blowing and woke up a few hours later sweating. It had cooled off to 80F at night, but due to monsoon season was still around 60% humidity.  Not the best slept, finally dozed off and got a few hours and back on the road at sunrise.  

PVK2SIL.jpg

P0xmxhw.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Tom, great to hear from you.  That sounds like an excellent adventure that you went on.  Sounds great,  Certainly interesting to me if you wanted to add  to the story, How many miles did you put on your van,   I get quite tired myself from driving.   I used to love to go camping.

jb

My daily driving will vary. I have two criteria, don't drive when tired nor after dusk.

Fridge, Bed, Porta-potty (emergency) all make it viable.   There is a fan to keep air moving through the van at night.

My CPAP is ready to go anytime I go to sleep.

I'll usually get on the road around 10 AM, but call it a day around 4:00 PM.  When camping, I use my Coleman propane stove for eggs and bacon. Otherwise, eat granola and yogurt for breakfast.  Lunch is a simple wrap or a salad (most grocery stores have a decent salad, cube up some tofu and it is a good meal).  Dinner is simple unless stopped at a campsite.

When I getting to a location, I'll scout out where to stay. Many cities have "no overnight camping" so often a church (check when morning Mass is, and move before everyone arrives), Walmart, or Home Depot lots are simple to park in overnight. So location is scouted ahead of time, pull in late. Walmart is good as I can do some shopping for the next day or two. Fridge means no need to buy ice, until meeting with the kids en route for camping.

The only time I did the stop and park and regretted it was in the desert at a rest stop. I failed to notice it was still 108F in the late afternoon. Woke up sweating at 10 PM, but finally cooled off to 90F at night. I think the low temp for that location was 84F.   Otherwise at Big Bear Lake (7000 ft evaluation) was thinking that it would drop to 40F at night. Daytime was a pleasant 75F, a nice change after the desert heat! Oh, I forget to pack a jacket.  

Once a week I might stay in a hotel, so I can use a washer and dryer, but tend to have two weeks of clean clothes.  Campgrounds often have a hot shower, otherwise, wet wipes work for a day or two depending on how active I've been. 

Remote area's, nothing better than looking up at the Milky Way at night. I've forgotten most of my consultations, but amazing what I do remember. Just need to recall if Summer or Winter sky when I get confused.  Too early in the year for the Big Dipper! 

It was just fun to get out. I love wide open roads, my faithful redhead was with me keeping me on track.  She prefers hiking in the cooler mountains, otherwise early morning in hotter climates.

Dh0oyUX.jpg

Edited by TexasTom

PEI stands for Prince Edward Island. It is also where the book Anne of Green Gables. was written. The bridge is about 6 miles long. 

I'm not saying much cause I don't have much to say. I've been having painful knees. Hard to get off the sofa or any chair. Anyone else?? It probably happened to others but I just forgot. 

More later.

m

Well, I lost one post. So it is the one above. It reappeared when I signed in today. 

Yea! Tom. Isn't it great to camp? So much better when retired cause you can go for as long as you want. 

I'll try to load a picture. Since DH drove (I don't drive anymore ) I had to take all the pictures. Yes, I took them while he drove. Every one else looks for prize-winning photos but all I want is a picture where you can tell what it is.

Think I can get this posted on one try???? Here goes.

Good Morning Marcia!   PEI is a wonderful place. Maybe next year.  

I have Saugus Iron Works in Massachusetts pinned for a future road trip.  Nova Scotia and PEI would be on that 6,000-mile road trip. My wife has zero interest in the van or road trips, but each of my kiddos are game. So have one fly into various locations and help with a weeks drive. So that is viable for a four-week outing. 

Oh, my namesake was captured in the battle of Dunbar in 1650 and sentenced to seven years service at the Iron Works. My 9th grandfather being born in MA in 1657.   Still would love to see it. 

Knees. I can understand, Orthopedic Doc said after my latest "scrape and recover" next time is artificial knees.  Not looking forward to that one!

Good morning everyone.  A change in the weather happened this weekend. the  Wednesday past the temp hit 90 F in the midday for a daytime high.  It has been a very hot and humid summer. This morning, I awoke to about 42 F and with a welcome sigh of relief I pulled on a sweat shirt over my tee and very much enjoyed the cooler air.  So did the horses and all the other barnies.

My garden was too big this year.  What with getting my brain probes put into my cranium, the recovery, and the shoulder tenderness, becoming one year older., extra strength sapping heat , well I had trouble staying ahead of the weeds.  However, I did still get an amazing amount of produce.  The shelves are getting full of canned pickles, and tomato sauces and vegetables into the freezer.The apple trees which just grow the apples for free, are starting to drop the fruit.  I have to get them picked off of the  trees before the deer eat them all up. 

I have to pace myself a bit.,  There are always things that we want to go to, family to visit, repairs to be made to thisa old house, I visit Mom at the County Manor Nursing home. , my daughter and  husband just bought a big country house on a big lot that I want to help to paint and fixup.and I need a nap. 

And you know what, A nap is going to win today.

good days to all. jb

• Like 1

jb, I nap every day; sometimes twice. Things will get done or they won't.  It feels good to let myself be exactly who and how I am in any given moment.

Dianne  

• Like 1

Ok I have two public speaking presentations coming up. One is a presenting our fitness program and the other to a support group about exercise and doing research & clinical trials. I’m terrified but it’s for PD so I have to do it. I’m hoping since I will be talking to people with PD or work with PWP l will shake it til I make it😳

LAD

LADy, I'm sure that you got this.  Do your homework, prepare some notes and you will do fine.  I have a lot of faith in you.  let us know how it goes please.

And I assume that everyone else is having a good week or expecting to at least.

love you all. 

jb

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jb49 said:

LADy, I'm sure that you got this.  Do your homework, prepare some notes and you will do fine.  I have a lot of faith in you.  let us know how it goes please.

love you all. 

jb

Thank you! 

Beautiful scenery in that picture Tom.  That's quite an adventure.  Did any of the 4 legged kids go with you?

Lad- You have sooooooo got this.  You're awesome.

Diane-I enjoy my weekend naps.  When I wake up on a weekend morning I'm already thinking about getting some chores done and then getting to take a nap.  Such joy in a small thing.

Marcia-my knees are a little stiff but my pain is in my feet.  When I get up in the morning or after I've sat for awhile the pain in my feet is bad.  It surprises me how intense the pain can be.  I'm so lucky that it only takes walking a short distance and the pain stops.

jb- I always thought gardening was suppose to be relaxing but at harvest time it can be kinda stressful.  Everything ripens at the same time and then you have to figure out what to do with it all.  I mean who needs 20 cantaloupe or 40 squash?  I freeze alot,  dehydrate some and I like to give some away.   We've eaten spaghetti squash 5 times this week!  Sometimes with just butter, salt and pepper and then I've made a couple different casseroles with it. 

Take care everyone.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:47 AM, jb49 said:

love you all. 

jb

I survived! My partner & I lightened the mood. The first speaker talked about PD & symptoms. 

I joked around a bit and then just shared my story. I found myself using stuff I wrote in my blog. I think we made them feel like PD is not the end of the world.😊🙏

Thanks for the well wishes! 

On 9/8/2018 at 10:44 AM, MarciaJ said:

PEI stands for Prince Edward Island. It is also where the book Anne of Green Gables. was written. The bridge is about 6 miles long. 

I'm not saying much cause I don't have much to say. I've been having painful knees. Hard to get off the sofa or any chair. Anyone else?? It probably happened to others but I just forgot. 

More later.

m

My hips are really stiff. As for getting out of the chair... make sure your feet are about shoulder width apart. As parkies we tend to put our feet too close together...for everything! Wide base...better balance !!!

LAD

I hope that all my East Coast American Buddies are tucked in against the weather coming your way. And get out of the way of that brewing storm.

Be safe, be strong! jb

Thanks for thinking of us and for the encouragement, jb.  The hurricane has slowed to 5 mph, a good thing except for the fact that it will mean a lot of flooding--and over a very large area.  I keep watching the reports to see if it's sneaking up to the Chesapeake Bay which goes right up the middle of our tiny little squinched state (which doesn't seem so little except looking at it on a map where it can hardly even be seen).  :-) BUT...farther up the Bay, in what is now the Baltimore Harbor, is where our National Anthem was penned by Frances Scott Key while a prisoner on a ship just off shore when he looked out and saw our flag raised the next morning signaling our victory.*  So I guess sometimes good things come in small packages.  We're small, but we count.** 

*204 years ago this evening, on Sep. 13, 1814, at the "twilight's last gleaming" at Fort McHenry, Francis Scott Key proudly hailed the star spangled banner. It was famously still waving the next morning. It still waves--and the republic for which it stands still stands--today.* (Bill Kristol)  The War of 1812 was a conflict fought between the United States, the United Kingdom, and their respective allies from June 1812 to February 1815. Historians in Britain often see it as a minor theatre of the Napoleonic Wars; in the United States and Canada, it is seen as a war in its own right. (Wikipedia)

**Besides, which, the Maryland countryside is just beautiful (and horse country), and the crab cakes at little crab shacks and places of fine dining around the areas of the harbor and bay are especially scrumptious!  Interestingly, too, the northern part of Maryland was Union, and the Southern part was Southern.  Those traits and traditions still seem to hold even today in many ways.

Edited by Linda Garren
  • Like 1

Glad to hear from you Violinda.  

Water, water, everywhere,

hope you all are  safe down there, we need a super hero, how bout it SheRa of the Carolinas.

One of my favourite books ever was Chesapeake by Michener.  You could add a chapter to that tom and tie yourself into that family tree.  

That war  of 1812, sorry bout that.  We really didn't need to whup you so bad. You guys just caught Great Britian with time and soldiers on hand.

Be careful in all that water down there.  Be careful of electricity in the water.

Fists to the sky in  Paper Bag Princess defiance to whatever bugs us .

jb

• Like 1

When I commented that I could add to that Tom, I meant add to that tome, which means story I think.  I can't say that I have ever used  the word tome before. A  new 4 letter word for me.

The power of Mother nature is on display this weekend.  The super typhoon Manghut that is hitting SE Asia, which is an even bigger storm than Florence which is bathing the Carolinas with water has to remind us that we are mere residents of this planet.  Maybe She just found out about the collection of plastic floating through the oceans of the world and she is about  to cash in our security deposit and kick us all off of this planet.  Life on this lovely planet, the best planet that I know of, comes with a responsibility In my opinion.  If you had free rent in someone's guest house, you wouldn't be trashing it like we have the land, air and oceans of our spinning rock we call Earth. I'm not saying that the people being flooded by rain, and blown about by wind this weekend are at fault, they only happen to be where She has perhaps pushed back.

now a nature story.  My neighbour showed me a cell phone picture of a coyote that she saw on a local golf course .  In the rough, she saw it find and catch a chipmunk.  My friend wondered what was up when the coyote set the dead rodent on the fairway's edge and settled back into the underbrush nearby.  Within a few minutes, a seagull circled the inert chipper and descended on the easy meal, only to fall victim to a lightning flash of fur and snapping teeth as the coyote launched itself back onto the course and nailed the bird. The coyote then gathered up the seagull and chipmunk and headed off to have its lunch.   

Take note wiley e. coyote in your quest for capturing the animated roadrunner,: no falling anvils, roller skates and fans, or dynamite were used to catch this seagull.

Good days to everyone,

jb 

• Like 2

2 things,

I want to be very clear that my reflection was between mother nature and us the human race and is no way pointed at the people of east coast USA or the 

residents of Southeast asia.  

and secondly,   I suspect the coyote scored that meal as an  eagle

Edited by jb49

Good morning to all! Loved your nature story, jb.  That was one intelligent coyote, using a catch one, get one free coupon. I'm sure he is very gifted and understands that anvils only exist in cartoons. 

Dianne 

10 hours ago, jb49 said:

When I commented that I could add to that Tom, I meant add to that tome, which means story I think.  I can't say that I have ever used  the word tome before. A  new 4 letter word for me.

The power of Mother nature is on display this weekend.  The super typhoon Manghut that is hitting SE Asia, which is an even bigger storm than Florence which is bathing the Carolinas with water has to remind us that we are mere residents of this planet.  Maybe She just found out about the collection of plastic floating through the oceans of the world and she is about  to cash in our security deposit and kick us all off of this planet.  Life on this lovely planet, the best planet that I know of, comes with a responsibility In my opinion.  If you had free rent in someone's guest house, you wouldn't be trashing it like we have the land, air and oceans of our spinning rock we call Earth. I'm not saying that the people being flooded by rain, and blown about by wind this weekend are at fault, they only happen to be where She has perhaps pushed back.

now a nature story.  My neighbour showed me a cell phone picture of a coyote that she saw on a local golf course .  In the rough, she saw it find and catch a chipmunk.  My friend wondered what was up when the coyote set the dead rodent on the fairway's edge and settled back into the underbrush nearby.  Within a few minutes, a seagull circled the inert chipper and descended on the easy meal, only to fall victim to a lightning flash of fur and snapping teeth as the coyote launched itself back onto the course and nailed the bird. The coyote then gathered up the seagull and chipmunk and headed off to have its lunch.   

Take note wiley e. coyote in your quest for capturing the animated roadrunner,: no falling anvils, roller skates and fans, or dynamite were used to catch this seagull.

Good days to everyone,

jb 

That’s one of the most exciting things I’ve ever heard of on a golf course...except maybe alligators....I find playing or watching golf boring! 

LAD

Yes LADy, I can see where the presence of alligators could spike the excitement level.

Good days to everyone out  there, and has anyone heard from Mrs. Pathfinder. 

be safe and strong and fist to the sky,

jb

• Like 1

Checking in!

Boy does life get hectic. I’ve been battling lots of my own health issues like a sudden acute kidney injury in March from high BP that left me in stage four kidney failure. Through diet I’ve got back to stage three, having to make so many changes. Diet is so crucial to avoid dialysis and Phosphorus and Potassium are in everything. Also, my diabetes tanked because they took away the effective drugs cause...kidney failure.

Hubby fell in the shower, but  he’s doing pretty well. Some more cognitive issues have shown up, but the PD is sort of on a hold, not any worse thank goodness! 

I do read here daily and wish wish you all well. Thank you for thinking of me!