helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
oneguy

CR/ER Release Time

Could you tell me how long it takes on average for carbidopa/levadopa in CR or ER form to actually release into our system assuming nothing is blocking entry to the blood/brain barrier? I assume the capsules are coated with something that forestalls the release of C/l. I'm trying to determine the best times of day to take the three CR pills that have been prescribed for me. It seems to me that the ideal would be to have the CR kick in just about the time my last regular sinemet stops being effective -- which is about a 1.5 to 2 hour time frame for me.

Further, have you ever heard of anyone taking only the CR or ER forms of carbidopa/levidopa?

Finally, I'm not sure of the difference between CR and ER? Is ER actually on the market at this time?

Thank you.

Oneguy,

Great questions. I will start with your last question first. There is no ER on the market today. Many people inter-hang CR, ER, DR, etc. The carbidopa/levodopa comes regular release, controlled release (CR), and Oral dissolving tablets ODT. CR is released slowly until itvreaches p a peak level then it releases at that level a little at a time to maintain peak levels until the dose runs out. ER means it is constantly realeased at steady levels over time until the dose runs out.

The Sinemet Cr will start absorbing into your system with 30 to 45 minutes (earlier in perfect conditions). At about 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours the peak level is reached. That level will be maintained for 4 to 6 hours depending on the persons metabolism. That is the reason the CR is routinely prescribed every 8 hours.

There are many scenarios as to when the medication should be taken. Yes, it can be taken by itself with no other medications (PD or other). If some is just on CR, the regime is 1 tab first thing in the morning (let's say 8:00 am), 1 tab about about 3:00 to 4:00 pm, and the final dose before bedtime (let's say 11:00 pm). This schedule is created to cover waking and sleeping hours.

What I usually tell people is take the morning dose and your body will let you know when to take the other ones. If you take the first one at 8 am and your symptoms start up at 2 pm, then you know the next day to take the afternoon dose at 1-1:30 pm. Do the same with the evening dose.

I'd people have problems in the morning and cannot wait for the CR to kick in, many Dr's with have the patient take take 1 or 2 tabs of the regular release first thing in the morning to "jump start" your day. This will be added to the CR every 8 hours. I could spend all day with different scenarios, but I will stop there.

I hope this answered al of your questions, if not, you know where to find me.

Could you tell me how long it takes on average for carbidopa/levadopa in CR or ER form to actually release into our system assuming nothing is blocking entry to the blood/brain barrier? I assume the capsules are coated with something that forestalls the release of C/l. I'm trying to determine the best times of day to take the three CR pills that have been prescribed for me. It seems to me that the ideal would be to have the CR kick in just about the time my last regular sinemet stops being effective -- which is about a 1.5 to 2 hour time frame for me.

Further, have you ever heard of anyone taking only the CR or ER forms of carbidopa/levidopa?

Finally, I'm not sure of the difference between CR and ER? Is ER actually on the market at this time?

Thank you.

Oneguy,

Great questions. I will start with your last question first. There is no ER on the market today. Many people inter-hang CR, ER, DR, etc. The carbidopa/levodopa comes regular release, controlled release (CR), and Oral dissolving tablets ODT. CR is released slowly until itvreaches p a peak level then it releases at that level a little at a time to maintain peak levels until the dose runs out. ER means it is constantly realeased at steady levels over time until the dose runs out.

The Sinemet Cr will start absorbing into your system with 30 to 45 minutes (earlier in perfect conditions). At about 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours the peak level is reached. That level will be maintained for 4 to 6 hours depending on the persons metabolism. That is the reason the CR is routinely prescribed every 8 hours.

There are many scenarios as to when the medication should be taken. Yes, it can be taken by itself with no other medications (PD or other). If some is just on CR, the regime is 1 tab first thing in the morning (let's say 8:00 am), 1 tab about about 3:00 to 4:00 pm, and the final dose before bedtime (let's say 11:00 pm). This schedule is created to cover waking and sleeping hours.

What I usually tell people is take the morning dose and your body will let you know when to take the other ones. If you take the first one at 8 am and your symptoms start up at 2 pm, then you know the next day to take the afternoon dose at 1-1:30 pm. Do the same with the evening dose.

I'd people have problems in the morning and cannot wait for the CR to kick in, many Dr's with have the patient take take 1 or 2 tabs of the regular release first thing in the morning to "jump start" your day. This will be added to the CR every 8 hours. I could spend all day with different scenarios, but I will stop there.

I hope this answered al of your questions, if not, you know where to find me.

Are you referring to the Sinemet CR 25/100 or 50/200 when you say that it can last for 4 to 6 hours? My PWP has always taken the CR 25/100 and it only lasts about 3 hours. Would there be an advantage to taking a higher dose? He does have a problem with hallucinations.

Are you referring to the Sinemet CR 25/100 or 50/200 when you say that it can last for 4 to 6 hours? My PWP has always taken the CR 25/100 and it only lasts about 3 hours. Would there be an advantage to taking a higher dose? He does have a problem with hallucinations.

I was referring to to the CR class itself, no particular strength. The info is based on the release of the medication and is not based on strength.

In the perfect world, any strength CR should have the 4-6 hour window. What we must not forget is that everyone is different. For some people it may last longer and for ohers, it may be shorter. Each person os different and the information about the med is usually an average.

As far as the dosage goes, in your particular situation, it probably would not be wise to increase the CR dose because the patient is prone to hallucinations.

One option may be to add Comtan to the drug regimine. This medication is taken at the same time as the CR and will help the Sinemet last longer. The sinemet levels are not increased (which should not have a issue with more hallucinations) but the duration of the sinemet in increased.

This may ne an option to discuss with the dr.