helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Okun

Should I ask my Doctor about Parkinson's Disease Drug Intervals as well as Dose?

Dr. Okun    409

Should I be asking my doctor about the timing of my Parkinson’s disease medication? Does the interval really matter?

We have found through many years of caring for persons with Parkinson’s disease that both patients and practitioners commonly discount the importance of medication timing, choosing instead to focus on specific drugs and particular dosages. This is a correctable mistake, and one that may have important quality of life implications. As your Parkinson’s disease changes over time, so should your medication regimen. Ask your doctor at each visit about adjusting medication intervals as well as dosages. Most patients will need to move beyond three times a day dosing, and ultimately require medications at strict intervals. Such regimens can help to avoid wearing off and other medication related motor complications.

gmk    2

Should I be asking my doctor about the timing of my Parkinson’s disease medication? Does the interval really matter?

We have found through many years of caring for persons with Parkinson’s disease that both patients and practitioners commonly discount the importance of medication timing, choosing instead to focus on specific drugs and particular dosages. This is a correctable mistake, and one that may have important quality of life implications. As your Parkinson’s disease changes over time, so should your medication regimen. Ask your doctor at each visit about adjusting medication intervals as well as dosages. Most patients will need to move beyond three times a day dosing, and ultimately require medications at strict intervals. Such regimens can help to avoid wearing off and other medication related motor complications.

It seems that choosing DOSAGE means both:

1. determining DOSE (how much of medication to take on one occasion) and

2. adjusting medication timing by choosing an adequate time INTERVAL between the doses

(determination how often the dose of medicament is to be taken in 24 hours,

i.e., how much of the medicament is taken daily: DOSE PER DAY).

Now, it would seem that increasing a dose would have the effect of corresponding enlargement of the interval,

but this is not always the case. So, in practice, change in interval tends to take a priority to a change in dose.

First, try a change in interval, then change the dose.

And, if the present dosage results in rather satisfactory response, be careful, do not try to make it even better.

gmk

Sign in to follow this