helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shakyjon

My wife says I talk at 500 miles per hour

4 posts in this topic

My wife yelled at me the other day for talking too fast. She says that it's hard to understand. I also have this tendency to stutter. The stuttering I knew about, the speed I didn't. Are there any techniques that I can do to help slow myself down?

Please see the posting on "Pressured Speech." It addressess your concerns.

Dr. Celia Bassich

ATTP Faculty Member

An accelerated rate of speech can be common in PD and certainly can affect your intelligibility. There are probably other changes in your speech that are contributing to decreased unclear speech. For example, reduced loudness, imprecise articulation, and a monotone voice can make speech harder to understand. The "stuttering" that you describe could be palilalia, a hesitancy in speech that comes from difficulty with initiation of movement. Yes, there are treatment techniques that can help you. Please seek a consultation with a speech-language pathologist who can find the right solution for you based on your individual communication characteristics.

Sincerely,

Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP

My wife yelled at me the other day for talking too fast. She says that it's hard to understand. I also have this tendency to stutter. The stuttering I knew about, the speed I didn't. Are there any techniques that I can do to help slow myself down?

1 person likes this

A rapid rate of speech can occur in people with PD particularly later in the disease process. Typically, when this happens, there are more issues with speech and communication than a "stutter" (although it may not be a true "stutter") and/or rapid rate alone. I recommend an evaluation with a speech-language pathologist. They will give you an evaluation and test the effectiveness of several treatment options that are available for this type of speech disorder. Some of the options include:

-Speech exercises to increase loudness such as LSVT LOUD

-A pacing board or alphabet board

-Altered auditory feedback

I suggest you work with an SLP to determine which is the right strategy for you.

Sincerely,

Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP