helplinedonate
johnsack

New study says cigarette smoking and coffee coffee drinking does prevent Parkinson's

This topic has been around earlier in research discussions, but it's up again. And the results seem very significant:

"A lengthy history of continuous smoking reduces the risk 36-50 percent and drinking coffee regularly another 33 percent. The exact cause behind the phenomena is unknown at this point."

What is your take on this?

Well, personally I can think of several people that have smoked and drank coffee for many years, yet still have been diagnosed with not just Parkinson's, but Young Onset Parkinson's. Myself included, as well as Michael J. Fox, and some people here on the forums...............

Another item they mention is urate............  as in uric acid,. Well for many years, my uric acid levels were up in the neighbourhood of 15mgs, double the normal of less than 7mgs.

So according to the "study", the fact that I have Gout (high uric acid levels), smoke, and drink coffee...... There is no way I could have Parkinson's Disease, yet somehow, I do, and have had it for many years.......

So in my opinion, The study is a bunch of hogwash............. a load of crapola! and it smells really BAAAAD!

Well, lets see.....

I started smoking very early. By the age of 13 I was a full time 3+ pack a day smoker. I continued smoking for the next 35 years and stopped cold turkey in 1992.

I started drinking coffee in my mid teens. By the time I went into the Air Force I was drinking a minimum of 4+ big mugs a day. I still drink 4-5 measuring cups of coffee a day.

Oh! Did I forget to say I have Parkinson's?

Fred

Well, lets see.....

I started smoking very early. By the age of 13 I was a full time 3+ pack a day smoker. I continued smoking for the next 35 years and stopped cold turkey in 1992.

I started drinking coffee in my mid teens. By the time I went into the Air Force I was drinking a minimum of 4+ big mugs a day. I still drink 4-5 measuring cups of coffee a day.

Fred

Well, you obviously didn't smoke enough and drank way too little coffee. :-P

Good Morning John.

I do not recommend taking up smoking, either.

What the study didn't say is that most heavy smokers are dead by mid 60's, and most PD cases are noted by mid 60's.... so heavy smokers never get PD. Ahem, there is a little truth to that, but this is my odd sense of humor kicking in.

Other thing missed in the study, everyone in Finland goes to the Sauna!  It is Finish Tradition to go sauna and cleanse your body of all those toxins.  So I think the secret is the sauna.   I grew up with taking a sauna a few times a week as a kid and young adult.  Lived in Germany in my 20's and weekly sauna was a tradition. Local swimming hall and sauna, so every Friday afternoon off to swim and sauna we went! I should have built  a Texas sauna many years ago, so maybe that is the true secret in Finland.  Coffee & Smoking.... but when you take a sauna, and drive those toxins out, it carries with with anything that is the root of PD, too! 

Yes, I still need my French Roast and expresso to get moving. Non smoker, but heavy coffee drinker all my life.

So pull up a chair and tell us a little more about yourself.

Tom

Edited by TexasTom
  • Like 1

Good Morning John.

I do not recommend taking up smoking, either.

What the study didn't say is that most heavy smokers are dead by mid 60's, and most PD cases are noted by mid 60's.... so heavy smokers never get PD. Ahem, there is a little truth to that, but this is my odd sense of humor kicking in.

Other thing missed in the study, everyone in Finland goes to the Sauna!  It is Finish Tradition to go sauna and cleanse your body of all those toxins.  So I think the secret is the sauna.   I grew up with taking a sauna a few times a week as a kid and young adult.  Lived in Germany in my 20's and weekly sauna was a tradition. Local swimming hall and sauna, so every Friday afternoon off to swim and sauna we went! I should have built  a Texas sauna many years ago, so maybe that is the true secret in Finland.  Coffee & Smoking.... but when you take a sauna, and drive those toxins out, it carries with with anything that is the root of PD, too! 

Yes, I still need my French Roast and expresso to get moving. Non smoker, but heavy coffee drinker all my life.

So pull up a chair and tell us a little more about yourself.

Tom

Ok Tom but the sauna and coffee didn't stop you from getting PD right?   My mom was a big coffee drinker too yet here we are...

Well, lets see.....

Fred

Geez Fritz  13???  How did that happen?  Wow!

So let me choose, do I want High Blood Pressure, more risk of cancer, bad teeth, and probable heart disease, oh and most likely will die at a younger age.....

Or do I want PD. Hmmmm Going to be a tough decision. 

Already got the PD so I guess I will stick with it. 

I think it's a little too late to start now if you already have PD.  The study is looking at prevention and not a cure.

Fred -  Double WOW!   My grandma smoked those skinny menthal More cigs I think.  I used to light them up for her and I would do it purposely in front of my aunt's husband who I hated because he was a jerk and extremely judgemental.  Even then I was already the ripe old age of 11 but I never inhaled. :-P

Edited by miracleseeker
  • Like 1