helplinedonate
Superdecooper

Botox injections, anyone?

They use very small needles. If the injection location is soft tissue, the pain is minimal. I've had Botox injections in my jaw for excess saliva; they were painless. At the request of my podiatrist, my MDS injected Botox in my feet and calves. Those hurt!

I hope this was helpful.

Dianne  

On 19/02/2018 at 4:48 PM, Superdecooper said:

Hey guys,

has anyone had boxtox injections for dystonia? Did they work and what are the pros and cons?

share your experiences please? 

-S

I 'm having botox injections for feet dystonia (big toe rising up and foot curling sideways) every four months with satisfactory results. Make sure these injections are conducted by proper expert ( not just any neurologist) under electromyography (which assesses electrical activity of muscles) or better still sonography. Outside its cost (very expensive in France, although covered by insurance) I don't see any negative sides to botox injections. The procedure is not totally painfree but the pain is really minimal. It may depend on injection location and on doctor's skill or experience.

Good luck

Mireille

• Thanks 1

I have been getting botox for a few years now. I get a few shots in my neck to keep my neck up straight 

I also get some in my shoulder it tends to creep up so i look like I am shrugging my houlders.

Not a pleasant experience but it works

• Thanks 1

Dianne, Noah and Mireille,

Are all taking Sinement, or some type of C/L ? And you're still dealing with dystonia? Are you also taking Baclofen?

yikes... I'm only on Azilect, but I'm thinking of trying to get the MDS to either add C/L or botox. Although I don't like the idea of getting shots. 

/scoop

Edited by Superdecooper

I had botox for dystonia in my right calf. OUCH! Very little relief and of short duration. That was before DBS surgery. Only minor problem with dystonia since.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I use Duopa (carb/levo gel) and take Baclofen 4x a day. When the pain gets bad enough, your fear of needles will lessen, I'm sure. Don't forget to use deep breathing techniques, meditation/relaxation podcasts and exercise to help prevent dystonia. I use all of the above, plus CBD oil, PT, and prescription pain medication for relief from the pain from dystonia. I have been dealing with dystonia since well before my diagnosis in 2010.

Dianne 

I usually get injections  every 3 months

Edited by noah
forgot a word

33 minutes ago, Beau's Mom said:

When the pain gets bad enough, your fear of needles will lessen, I'm sure.

Too funny! And thanks for the replies. I'm still trying to figure this all out. day by exciting day.

-S