helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Khanyisile Milner

hiccups

Khanyisile Milner,

Hiccups are more common in people with PD than they are to the general population.  Continuous hiccups are known as intractable hiccups and can occur in up to 20% of PD patients. The main treatment has been dopamine blocking medications, which would not be good for PD patients. 

Dr. Ok in, Ask the Doctor forum, suggests having an MRI and focus on the brainstem for intractable hiccups. 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted 

I get the hiccups much more often than I used to.  My wife learned of way to instantly make them go away from a science teacher.  Eat a spoonful of sugar and you will find them gone immediately.  This works every time for me.  My neighbour had the hiccups for two weeks, his doctor prescribed all sorts of stuff to make them go away - one spoonful of sugar made his troubles go away.  Mary Poppins gets it right every time :).

Dave

Edited by DaveN

Khanyisile Milner,

Hiccups are more common in people with PD than they are to the general population.  Continuous hiccups are known as intractable hiccups and can occur in up to 20% of PD patients. The main treatment has been dopamine blocking medications, which would not be good for PD patients. 

Dr. Ok in, Ask the Doctor forum, suggests having an MRI and focus on the brainstem for intractable hiccups. 

Dave,

Mary Poppins was correct. It is not completely known as to how it works but one theory is that sugar affects the main nerve, called the Vagus nerve, which connects the brain to the stomach. It is believed that this may stop the diaphragm from spasming. In the most delightful way.

Just a note about hiccups..

My father, now 88, has had frequent long spells of hiccups in the past years.  Curious things have come about for fixes for them.

Once a neighbor Amish woman insisted she could help and rubbed his feet.  I'm guessing it was something like reflexology of sorts.  Within the hour they were gone.  He had had them for over a week at that time.

In more recent years, he has had them twice for severe amounts of time (weeks) and meds didn't work and doctors were baffled at what to do.  Eventually, we established the antibiotics he had been on had caused a yeast infection in his esophagus.  Once the yeast was cured, so were the hiccups! 

Betsy,

Thanks for the information. Hiccups can be caused by several things as you are well aware. I have heard of infections of the esophagus and stomach causing this issue, as well as acid imbalances in the stomach. A hernia can also be a contributing factor as well as muscle spasms of the diaphram.

This is why it is so important to seek the advice of a gastroenterologist if the hiccups become persistant and interfere with your quality of life.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.